[SOLVED] Clean Installation of Windows 10

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Recently my laptop is facing a lot of problems. So I decided to clean install Windows 10 but I don't have any external hard drive on which I can backup my data. so I have to keep all my data on my computer and install Windows 10. I have three more local drives besides the local drive C. So if I choose to remove all my files during the installation process, will it only delete the apps and files installed or associated with the local drive C or will it wipe out all the files in the other drives too? Will the device drivers be removed too?

Solution
As mentioned, it doesn't actually disappear, the device manager takes it's cue from the the driver. Without a driver it shows up as an unknown device, with the Radeon HD 8670M driver it shows up under Display Adapters as the Radeon HD 8670M. When the Firepro W9000 driver takes over, it identifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000. So what you are seeing is a the wrong driver taking over, which misidentifies the Display Adapter as a Firepro W9000, rather than the correct identification as a Radeon HD 8670M.

Yes, but he just did a reset. There shouldn't be another driver unless its included in windows? His device should only have the drivers installed by windows. Unless he used a 3rd party driver updater to install the new...

Colif

Win 11 Master
will it only delete the apps and files installed or associated with the local drive C or will it wipe out all the files in the other drives too? Will the device drivers be removed too?

What i would suggest you do is follow this guide as is a custom install
when you get to the part about which drive, only delete the partitions on your main hdd and the installer will ignore the remaining 2 drives
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

clean install wipes everything on C, all drivers, all data, all files. So copy everything to other 2 that you want to keep.

Move your important files to one of your other drives and then DISCONNECT EVERY drive except the drive you are installing TO and the drive you are installing FROM. Typically, that means leaving the main drive you plan to install Windows on and a flash drive or optical drive, depending on how you are installing it.

Even though installing Windows should not touch anything on the other drives, it is STILL a necessary step so that there is nothing to confuse the installer about where to put the EFI boot partition or if one needs to be created at all, in the even it finds one hidden on one of the other drives from a past Windows installation.

So, disconnect all drives except the target and the source, and then follow my guide that Colif already linked you to.

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
What i would suggest you do is follow this guide as is a custom install
when you get to the part about which drive, only delete the partitions on your main hdd and the installer will ignore the remaining 2 drives
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

clean install wipes everything on C, all drivers, all data, all files. So copy everything to other 2 that you want to keep.

Just to be clear, so when I choose "Remove all files", it actually does not remove the files that are in my Local disk E, F or G but only the files in C?

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Move your important files to one of your other drives and then DISCONNECT EVERY drive except the drive you are installing TO and the drive you are installing FROM. Typically, that means leaving the main drive you plan to install Windows on and a flash drive or optical drive, depending on how you are installing it.

Even though installing Windows should not touch anything on the other drives, it is STILL a necessary step so that there is nothing to confuse the installer about where to put the EFI boot partition or if one needs to be created at all, in the even it finds one hidden on one of the other drives from a past Windows installation.

So, disconnect all drives except the target and the source, and then follow my guide that Colif already linked you to.

It's a laptop and the only drive I got in there is the HDD. Am I getting you wrong somehow?

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
if you only have 1 drive, the clean install will wipe everything. That includes the 3 partitions you asked me about.

So what are the problems you are having as maybe we can help fix them?
Check this one : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/device-manager-showing-wrong-gpu.3606992/

I somehow managed to fix the issue. It was good for some time.

From last night whenever I try to open a game that is set to use my AMD, does not actually open (Either the process crashes or the window opens but doesn't respond). But when I switch it to my Intel, it does. So I did some research and figured that it's my same old GPU and it's drives screwing with me again. So I thought a clean install might solve some issues if not the whole. What do you think?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is an interesting problem, reinstalling might fix it. Its also possible the card is just getting old and is dropping hints.

I am silly, I should have suggested a reset
Instead of a clean install, you can do a reset which only touches C drive. It removes all the info off C and replaces it with a clean install of win 10 but all other info on the other 3 partitions will still be there.
Go to settings/Security & update/Recovery
click reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
that will force windows to reinstall all your drivers.

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
It is an interesting problem, reinstalling might fix it. Its also possible the card is just getting old and is dropping hints.

Instead of a clean install, you can do a reset which only touches C drive. It removes all the info off C and replaces it with a clean install of win 10 but all other info on the other 3 partitions will still be there.
click reset this PC
choose keep files/settings (Files = library folders. Library folders = Documents, pictures, movies, music (the default folders that come with windows). Settings = logins and desktop)
I did just that without seeing your reply lol. And it actually worked. Thanks a bunch!

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020

click reset this PC

No it still has that problem. If I keep the laptop on for some time the GPU disappears from the task manager and in the device manager it gets changed into AMD Firepro W9000.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the unusual continues

What laptop is this?

I thought maybe the two cards were related in families but One is Mars & other is Tahiti, they both released within a year of each other and my knowledge of old AMD GPU is non existent :)

The FirePro W9000 was an enthusiast-class professional graphics card by AMD, launched in June 2012. Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the Tahiti graphics processor, in its Tahiti XT GL variant
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/firepro-w9000.c585
The Radeon HD 8670M was a mobile graphics chip by AMD, launched in March 2013. Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the Mars graphics processor, in its Mars XT variant,
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-8670m.c2391

your card suddenly thinks its much better than it actually is, or at least, that is what it is telling windows.
I wonder what Ubuntu reports - run off the USB and see what GPU's it can see

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
the unusual continues

What laptop is this?

I thought maybe the two cards were related in families but One is Mars & other is Tahiti, they both released within a year of each other and my knowledge of old AMD GPU is non existent :)

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/firepro-w9000.c585

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-hd-8670m.c2391

your card suddenly thinks its much better than it actually is, or at least, that is what it is telling windows.
I wonder what Ubuntu reports - run off the USB and see what GPU's it can see
The unusual seems pretty usual now :)

The laptop is an HP Pavilion 14-e036tx Notebook PC

This GPU thing is getting in my nerves. I can't even do anything about this because of the whole lockdown thing. Do you have any idea what to do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Always handy when the driver site for notebook says none here.

GPU is built onto the motherboard of laptop so only way to replace is via HP. Have to start to wonder if repair cost is less than price of a new one.

But before we go there, try running the ubuntu live USB on PC and see if it has similar problems with card, as that would tell us if its hardware or windows. I can tell you windows doesn't normally change its mind as to what card is installed, so i have my doubts.

There are MANY laptops where multiple graphics adapters are present and the higher end adapter only gets kicked in normally when there is a significant gaming load. I would look through the advanced adapter options, as there might be a setting to stop it from switching. Might look in the BIOS as well to see if there is an option for X, Y or both.

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
There are MANY laptops where multiple graphics adapters are present and the higher end adapter only gets kicked in normally when there is a significant gaming load. I would look through the advanced adapter options, as there might be a setting to stop it from switching. Might look in the BIOS as well to see if there is an option for X, Y or both.
No it's not switching. It literally disappears and changes into something else.

No it's not switching. It literally disappears and changes into something else.
Yes, it is switching. It's switching to the Intel adapter that is ALSO onboard. As mentioned, if you don't have both drivers installed, and specifically the required driver for your Radeon HD adapter, you're going to have problems because it is unlikely that Windows has a native driver for it.

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
You haven't mentioned if you have installed the most recent GPU driver. Windows 10 does not natively support the Radeon HD 8670M so you have to download and install the driver from AMD. https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8670m-series-gpu
Yes I have the recommended driver installed but even when the AMD one is functional, I can't open the RADEON Settings. The option only appears when it has disappeared and changed into something else. But yes,only the option comes up. The driver settings doesn't actually open.
Rather it shows this: View: https://imgur.com/2yiaJO7

Make sure that the AMD adapter is set as the primary graphics adapter in the BIOS, or, if there is no setting there, look in the Intel graphics utility for a related setting. I've seen this a bunch of times before, I just can't remember exactly what the fix was.

I know in comparable Nvidia equipped dual GPU configurations there is a setting to set the Nvidia adapter as the primary one in the Nvidia control panel, but I can't remember how we fixed this on the AMD based models.