Question Clean windows build keeps lagging & black screening

tarogmats

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
Did a new build with some parts I had from an older build and some new ones, and the system ran fine at first for a few days played some not so intensive games, fiddled with photoshop, then it just started to give me a black screen with nothing but a cursor.

The system specs are:

Old Parts -
Ryzen 5 1600
my trusty GTX 750ti
1 TB WD Blue HDD

New Parts
EVGA 600 PSU
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB
ASUS B450M-AII mobo

For a little more into the issue, it started after the PC had been shut down and the next time it was turned on, it just went to a black screen with nothing but a cursor, after restarting to see if that'd rectify the issue, [issue A] the system would take long to load at the ASUS screen, then afterwards cycle into a black screen with the circling dots, then hang there or sometimes get to the screen but remain blank.
I figured it was a windows update that went bad so I wiped the whole system, did a fresh install of windows 10, got in and disabled windows updates and the system ran for less 24 hours, and then it just started lagging out.

What I found weird though, was that the windows processes would lag, but I could still use firefox during the period, or other 3rd part apps. Like, as the system was "Frozen" I was still able to browse in firefox, open new tabs, input netflix information, stuff like that.
Then suddenly the whole screen went black and just the cursor remained, I could move it around and everything, and when I hit ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager it said "preparing security options" but took way too long imo. So I just hit the power button and restarted and ended back up at - ISSUE A - and I just turned off the system.

Just wondering or hoping that anyone has any input as to what the issue could be.

Personally I'm wondering if it is really a hardware issue as I can access the bios just fine, boot menus and everything but from the minute it tries to do anything windows related, boom, problems. So I'm thinking either a software or bios issue, or maybe RAM or a failing HDD? Just what I'm thinking.
Open to all advice, and any assistance.

so the computer came on after having it off since i posted but everything is running laggy when it comes to windows processes, but 3rd party apps still work.
Checked the event viewer, and it shows a string a literal plethora of "Hard Drive 0 has bad blocks" error messages.
Could it be the HDD?

Last edited:
Did a new build with some parts I had from an older build and some new ones, and the system ran fine at first for a few days played some not so intensive games, fiddled with photoshop, then it just started to give me a black screen with nothing but a cursor.

The system specs are:

Old Parts -
Ryzen 5 1600
my trusty GTX 750ti
1 TB WD Blue HDD

New Parts
EVGA 600 PSU
ASUS B450M-AII mobo

For a little more into the issue, it started after the PC had been shut down and the next time it was turned on, it just went to a black screen with nothing but a cursor, after restarting to see if that'd rectify the issue, [issue A] the system would take long to load at the ASUS screen, then afterwards cycle into a black screen with the circling dots, then hang there or sometimes get to the screen but remain blank.
I figured it was a windows update that went bad so I wiped the whole system, did a fresh install of windows 10, got in and disabled windows updates and the system ran for less 24 hours, and then it just started lagging out.

What I found weird though, was that the windows processes would lag, but I could still use firefox during the period, or other 3rd part apps. Like, as the system was "Frozen" I was still able to browse in firefox, open new tabs, input netflix information, stuff like that.
Then suddenly the whole screen went black and just the cursor remained, I could move it around and everything, and when I hit ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager it said "preparing security options" but took way too long imo. So I just hit the power button and restarted and ended back up at - ISSUE A - and I just turned off the system.

Just wondering or hoping that anyone has any input as to what the issue could be.

Personally I'm wondering if it is really a hardware issue as I can access the bios just fine, boot menus and everything but from the minute it tries to do anything windows related, boom, problems. So I'm thinking either a software or bios issue, or maybe RAM or a failing HDD? Just what I'm thinking.

so the computer came on after having it off since i posted but everything is running laggy when it comes to windows processes, but 3rd party apps still work.
Checked the event viewer, and it shows a string a literal plethora of "Hard Drive 0 has bad blocks" error messages.
Could it be the HDD?
BIOS up to date?

The system specs are:

Old Parts -
Ryzen 5 1600
my trusty GTX 750ti
1 TB WD Blue HDD

New Parts
EVGA 600 PSU
ASUS B450M-AII mobo

Could it be the HDD?
You also may have corrupted windows.
Run cmd as admin. Type SFC /scannow

Reactions: tarogmats

tarogmats

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2015
alright, the windows chkdsk said the drive was fine, crystaldisk said "Caution" and the WD drive manager's "quick scan" was approaching two hours before I decided to shut down. So I'm gonna swap out the drive now, and still check windows to be on the safe side.

update

Swapped out the drive for a new one, system seems more stable now, a lot less lag and no issues so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew