Question Cleaning spilled thermal paste on RAM slot

xiuxiueig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2018
Years ago I spilled some thermal paste (I think it was Artic but I'm not sure) on one of the RAM slots of my motherboard (ASUS Z-97 Pro Gamer).
If there's RAM installed in that slot, the PC wouldn't boot. If there's no RAM in that slot, the PC boots normally.

I was afraid of cleaning it so I just used one less RAM slot ever since. Now the paste is dry, but I'd like to try to clean it... How dangerous can it be to the mobo?

How can I clean dried, spilled thermal paste on the motherboard's RAM slot without damaging anything?

Years ago I spilled some thermal paste (I think it was Artic but I'm not sure) on one of the RAM slots of my motherboard (ASUS Z-97 Pro Gamer).
If there's RAM installed in that slot, the PC wouldn't boot. If there's no RAM in that slot, the PC boots normally.

I was afraid of cleaning it so I just used one less RAM slot ever since. Now the paste is dry, but I'd like to try to clean it... How dangerous can it be to the mobo?

How can I clean dried, spilled thermal paste on the motherboard's RAM slot without damaging anything?
You should still be able to clean it with concentrated alcohol and ear swabs or a brush. It just can take longer and more tries. Ally some and let stay few seconds, best if you can do it upside down. Make sure power is right off. Paste is obviously not electrically conductive or there would be a short long time ago.