Cleared CMOS and no more POST

Hi,

I cleared the CMOS on my A7N266-VM following the instructions in the manual:

"To Erase the RTC RAM
1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the battery
3. Short the solder points momentarily with a paper clip or other delicate
metal instrument
4. Re-install the battery
5. Plug the power cord and turn on the computer
6. Hold down the <del> key during boot process and enter BIOS setup to
re-enter data"

After I did this, the system no longer will POST. As soon as I turn on the
power it beeps repeatedly and nothing on the screen.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

"Jason Ducharme" <jcducharme@sympatico.ca> astounded us with:

> Hi,
>
> I cleared the CMOS on my A7N266-VM following the instructions in the
> manual:
>
> "To Erase the RTC RAM
> 1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
> 2. Remove the battery
> 3. Short the solder points momentarily with a paper clip or other
> delicate metal instrument
> 4. Re-install the battery
> 5. Plug the power cord and turn on the computer
> 6. Hold down the <del> key during boot process and enter BIOS setup to
> re-enter data"
>
> After I did this, the system no longer will POST. As soon as I turn on
> the power it beeps repeatedly and nothing on the screen.
>
> What do I do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jason

Try removing the power cord and battery and leaving overnight.
Went through this myself. I once left the machine in that state for four
hours and nothing changed, but a lengthy overnight wait worked.

--
Gene P

Well I am still waiting for my RMA of the same model board, all I did was
change the cpu and it never booted after that, went through all the tech
support hoops and nearly 3 weeks later I am waiting for Asus to return the
board. They are only about 30 miles from here but they said it took a week
for them to receive it, it was half way through week 2 before they even
started bench testing it, VERY poor RMA in my opinion, was told to call this
week to see if it was being shipped out.
Patrick

">
> > Hi,
> >
> > I cleared the CMOS on my A7N266-VM following the instructions in the
> > manual:
> >
> > "To Erase the RTC RAM
> > 1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
> > 2. Remove the battery
> > 3. Short the solder points momentarily with a paper clip or other
> > delicate metal instrument
> > 4. Re-install the battery
> > 5. Plug the power cord and turn on the computer
> > 6. Hold down the <del> key during boot process and enter BIOS setup to
> > re-enter data"
> >
> > After I did this, the system no longer will POST. As soon as I turn on
> > the power it beeps repeatedly and nothing on the screen.
> >
> > What do I do?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Jason
> >

> Try removing the power cord and battery and leaving overnight.
> Went through this myself. I once left the machine in that state for four
> hours and nothing changed, but a lengthy overnight wait worked.
>

> --
> Gene P

I just tried clearing the cmos and inserting a different battery in case
there was a problem with the battery - same result. I've now removed the
battery and power cord, and will let it sit for about 12 hours. I'll post
back tonight with the results.

Thanks for the help!
Jason

> ">
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I cleared the CMOS on my A7N266-VM following the instructions in the
> > > manual:
> > >
> > > "To Erase the RTC RAM
> > > 1. Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
> > > 2. Remove the battery
> > > 3. Short the solder points momentarily with a paper clip or other
> > > delicate metal instrument
> > > 4. Re-install the battery
> > > 5. Plug the power cord and turn on the computer
> > > 6. Hold down the <del> key during boot process and enter BIOS setup
> > > re-enter data"
> > >
> > > After I did this, the system no longer will POST. As soon as I turn
on
> > > the power it beeps repeatedly and nothing on the screen.
> > >
> > > What do I do?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Jason
> > >

> > Try removing the power cord and battery and leaving overnight.
> > Went through this myself. I once left the machine in that state for four
> > hours and nothing changed, but a lengthy overnight wait worked.
> >

> > --
> > Gene P
>
> I just tried clearing the cmos and inserting a different battery in case
> there was a problem with the battery - same result. I've now removed the
> battery and power cord, and will let it sit for about 12 hours. I'll post
> back tonight with the results.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Jason

Well, I just tried it again after letting it sit without battery or power
cord for 11 hours and same result. No POST, just beep, beep, beep. I will
try removing the battery and power cord again and let it sit over night. If
I get the same result in the morning, is there anything else to try? BTW,
what is the likely cause of this problem?

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks

> > ">

> on

> > > Try removing the power cord and battery and leaving overnight.
> > > Went through this myself. I once left the machine in that state for
four
> > > hours and nothing changed, but a lengthy overnight wait worked.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Gene P
> >
> > I just tried clearing the cmos and inserting a different battery in case
> > there was a problem with the battery - same result. I've now removed
the
> > battery and power cord, and will let it sit for about 12 hours. I'll
post
> > back tonight with the results.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> > Jason
> >

> Well, I just tried it again after letting it sit without battery or power
> cord for 11 hours and same result. No POST, just beep, beep, beep. I
will
> try removing the battery and power cord again and let it sit over night.
If
> I get the same result in the morning, is there anything else to try? BTW,
> what is the likely cause of this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
I'd say, that the 'most likely cause', is that in clearing the CMOS, you
have disturbed something else. The beeps, suggests that either the RAM is
not fully seated, or that the video card may not be fully down in it's slot.
The latter is very likely. AGP cards, are 'depth sensitive', and it only
takes the machine to have flexed a little while you had the casing open, and
it may have lifted in it's slot by a fraction of a mm.

Best Wishes

> > > ">

> > on

> four

> > > I just tried clearing the cmos and inserting a different battery in
case
> > > there was a problem with the battery - same result. I've now removed
> the
> > > battery and power cord, and will let it sit for about 12 hours. I'll
> post
> > > back tonight with the results.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help!
> > > Jason
> > >

> > Well, I just tried it again after letting it sit without battery or
power
> > cord for 11 hours and same result. No POST, just beep, beep, beep. I
> will
> > try removing the battery and power cord again and let it sit over night.
> If
> > I get the same result in the morning, is there anything else to try?
BTW,
> > what is the likely cause of this problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason
> I'd say, that the 'most likely cause', is that in clearing the CMOS, you
> have disturbed something else. The beeps, suggests that either the RAM is
> not fully seated, or that the video card may not be fully down in it's
slot.
> The latter is very likely. AGP cards, are 'depth sensitive', and it only
> takes the machine to have flexed a little while you had the casing open,
and
> it may have lifted in it's slot by a fraction of a mm.
>
> Best Wishes

Well, it's running now! It was the RAM. I hadn't even really considered
this since I hadn't touched it, but when I removed the RAM stick, there was
a fair bit of dust near the contact edge. I just cleaned it a bit, popped
it back in, and the system booted on the first try.

Thanks guys, for your help!

Jason