Question Clicking from psu

Sep 27, 2019
Yesterday I turned my system of and the psu made some insane clicking sounds, like the one it makes when the psu turns it self off. I got a bad feeling but turnd it back on just to check and it all started up fine.

Now today on the other hand it’s not doing that grate, I’ve had 3 blue screens all sudden.

First error was

“Unexpected store exception”

Second was

“Memory management”

And third was the all mighty

“Critical process died”

So is my old Corsair hx 850 psu dying?

Did a scan and found some corrupted files, could these cause the pc to not shut down correctly? And just be spinning in a shutdown loop? Which explains the sound from the psu?

Pretty unlikely that anything related to the file system would have an effect that caused unusual sounds from the power supply. More likely that the power supply might cause problems with corruption in Windows if there is unstable or low voltage.

How old is that power supply?

Sep 27, 2019
Pretty unlikely that anything related to the file system would have an effect that caused unusual sounds from the power supply. More likely that the power supply might cause problems with corruption in Windows if there is unstable or low voltage.

How old is that power supply?

it’s getting close to 8 years so I would think it’s just the psu that’s going bad, but might also be a faulty ram stick, something I think is unlikely given that they are just about 1 year old, ssd is just as old as the psu. But I think it’s unlikely to be the ssd as well

Sep 27, 2019
Looks like the new psu had a effect in the FPS as well, the psu might bin going bad for a long time and probably underperforming for a long time. I’ve seen some slight loss inn the FPS over time, I always thought that it had bin the games pushing updates making games more demanding.

guess a new psu did the trick

Sep 27, 2019
Yeeh I guess it was, thx for the help anyways.

replaced my old hx 850 with a new rm850x

C7hdmFq_d.jpg

my old psu, it’s an rly old psu

Last edited: