Question Clicking links in certain apps doesn't open default browser ?

Oct 26, 2022
I need some help trying to get this issue fixed that's been bothering me for months. Whenever I click on a link in certain apps such as discord, steam, or spotify, it doesn't open my default browser (Google chrome is what I currently use) I've tried everything that I've listed below, but nothing has worked. I'm at wit's end trying to get rid of this issue but I might have to reinstall windows to get it fixed if nothing has worked. The only thing I've found out from when I first caught wind of this issue back in April of last year is that a security update may have caused it. But I also heard that it may be a chromium issue (since steam and discord for example use that), focus stealing, or a conflict with another chromium app. I only held off on it for so long because it was an annoyance at most and some apps weren't affected such as Microsoft store, epic games store or elgato stream deck (they still open my default browser just fine when clicking links). But for the apps that were affected such as discord, steam and spotify, I can't log in through browser on certain apps if it won't open my default browser upon clicking and it's frustrating!

What I've tried to fix but have failed:
  • Resetting the PC
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled Google Chrome and Discord
  • Changing to different default browsers such as Firefox or Edge, including installing a new browser such as Brave
  • Clearing cache of affected apps
  • Waiting for newer Windows Updates and downloading them
  • Running as administrator for problem apps.
  • Turned off Windows Defender Firewall
  • Reset all default apps to windows preferred then switched back to the current setup
  • Made scans in windows defender and malwarebytes, neither found any threats
PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard: Gigabyte AX-370 Gaming
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 PNY electronics, 8gbf1x08jeee36-12-k
SSD: Samsung PM871 M.2 2280 256GB
HDD: WD-Blue 2015 4TB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
PSU: Corsair TX750, 4 years old
Chasis: Unknown
Monitor: Acer, Viewmonitor

Ralston18

Titan
Confirm that the linked websites have the necessary permissions to use webcams and microphones.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/configure-camera-microphone-setting-in-google-chrome-4103623

You can easily find other similar links. Do some additional searches specific to your PC build and environment.

= = = =

When a link is clicked and fails to open are there any pop-up windows, error codes, etc. presented? If so what are those errors?

Take a couple of screenshots and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured and logged when the links were clicked and failed to open.

Oct 26, 2022
Confirm that the linked websites have the necessary permissions to use webcams and microphones.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/configure-camera-microphone-setting-in-google-chrome-4103623

You can easily find other similar links. Do some additional searches specific to your PC build and environment.

= = = =

When a link is clicked and fails to open are there any pop-up windows, error codes, etc. presented? If so what are those errors?

Take a couple of screenshots and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured and logged when the links were clicked and failed to open.
When a link is clicked in the affected apps, nothing happens. No error message, no event viewer or reliability history logs or anything.