Question Clicking noises at the ports of gpu

Oct 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

the ports of my GPU makes "clicking" noises when I start the game "Path of Exile". After some testing, I found out that it was the ports of my GPU. And after more testing, it's the refresh rate of my monitors. My main one is on 239,96 Hz and the second is on 144 Hz. If I change the first one to 144 Hz, the clicking noise gets less. And at 120 Hz, there are no noises anymore.
The monitors I use is
  • MSI MAG251RX, main one with DP
  • AOC 24G2WG3, second with HDMI
I changed the HDMI to a DP cable but same problem. I think the main reason is because of the high Hz of the first monitor. But on my old pc I didn't have any issues.

Now my questions are:
1. Did it damage any of my monitors or pc components?
2. What can I do to fix that problem, besides changing the refresh rate?
3. What else can I try, changing all my cables?
4. On my old pc I used the software of msi for the monitor, maybe that would solve my problem?

Some question can be answered with some more testing, but I'm afraid to damage my monitors or pc components.

GPU: 4090 SUPRIM X
MB: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX with the newest BIOS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Case: Corsair ICUE 5000D RGB Airflow

I got a recording of the sound on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/17bertv/clicking_noises_at_the_ports_of_gpu/

Update: I took my PSU out of the case and tried to replicate the issue. That sound wasn't because of the GPU Ports, it came from the PSU. So I am going to replace the PSU and change it to another one with 1000 Watt, I am getting one from the PSU tier list 2023 (Tier A - High end). I hope it will solve the problem.
I notice whenever I turn the PSU at the back on my lights in my room flickers once.

Update: I bought 1000 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold

Tipps and solutions are still welcome.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in use for a while, please mention the age of the unit and what it had powered prior to the new platform.

What BIOS version are you on at this moment?

Reactions: xAceHand
Oct 19, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in use for a while, please mention the age of the unit and what it had powered prior to the new platform.

What BIOS version are you on at this moment?
Thank you!

Update: I took my PSU out of the case and tried to replicate the issue. That sound wasn't because of the GPU Ports, it came from the PSU. So I am going to replace the PSU and change it to another one with 1000 Watt, I am getting one from the PSU tier list 2023 (Tier A - High end). I hope it will solve the problem.

I bought 1000 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold

I notice whenever I turn the PSU at the back on my lights in my room flickers once.

Tipps and solutions are still welcome.

You're right, I use
  • 1200 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 12 Modular 80+ Platinum
Its only 1 week old or to be precise it's only 1 week in use. I just build a complete new pc which was used for a week.

At the moment I am on Version F11d which was released 14.09.2023.

Thank you very much!

Last edited: