SamirAmir

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
I'm trying to decide what graphics card i should buy for my new build ( Second ever. first was like 10 years ago and i followed someone else's part list which i don't what to do again as it was lacking for what i need. ), i checked out a few guide videos, one of the key things i understood was about clock speeds of the graphics cards the faster the better, However one thing that confused me when looking is graphics cards that i thought to be better had lower clocks speeds, for example i know that a 2080 is better than a 2070 but why would some 2080's have a lower clock speeds than some 2070's.. Can someone clarify this for me and maybe provide some info on how to choose the best parts, as in what to look for or maybe a link to a guide if that's easier. Thanks

Solution
Clock speed isn't everything. Different GPU models have varying number of "processing cores" (similar to a CPU). The 2080 has more than a 2070, so even though it's cores' frequency may be lower, it can do more work.

Google "RTX2070 Super review toms" and read their review. Look at the benchmark charts to gauge performa.
Clock speed isn't everything. Different GPU models have varying number of "processing cores" (similar to a CPU). The 2080 has more than a 2070, so even though it's cores' frequency may be lower, it can do more work.

Google "RTX2070 Super review toms" and read their review. Look at the benchmark charts to gauge performa.

Solution

SamirAmir

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020

Right ok, so within a particular graphics card say the 2070 super, how do i judge which manufacturer to go with if not by core clock and boost clock ( also how important is memory). Also about the benchmarks they do not indicate which manufacturer to go with i.e Asus or Gigabyte etc... They seem to vary even within a chipset. So say i decide on a 2070 super which one should i go for because they seem to vary a lot. How much does the variation change the performance?