[SOLVED] Clone and replace SSD

Dec 21, 2019
I want to replace the current 256GB M.2 SSD (internal C: drive with OS preinstalled) in my Dell XPS 8930 Windows 10 x64 with a 1 TB M.2 SSD. Can I clone the current SSD to my internal D: drive, then replace the current SSD with the larger SSD, then clone from the HDD back to the new 1 TB SSD?

Solution
I want to replace the current 256GB M.2 SSD (internal C: drive with OS preinstalled) in my Dell XPS 8930 Windows 10 x64 with a 1 TB M.2 SSD. Can I clone the current SSD to my internal D: drive, then replace the current SSD with the larger SSD, then clone from the HDD back to the new 1 TB SSD?
Why not replace the HDD with a SATA SSD?

But, if you wish to swap out the M.2 drive, it can be done. Not a 'clone', but an Image will do the trick here.

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to the HDD. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap...

USAFRet

Titan
Why not replace the HDD with a SATA SSD?

But, if you wish to swap out the M.2 drive, it can be done. Not a 'clone', but an Image will do the trick here.

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to the HDD. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives.
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution