[SOLVED] Clone Success and Failure

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
I downloaded and used the Macrium Reflect Free to clone my Ultra 2 SSD to the EVO 970 M.2 drive. The clone was successful. In File Explorer both disks look identical and both are Active . However, when I go into Disk Management, the EVO addition lacks the Bootable, Page file and Crash file attributes. The Ultra II does have them.

After the clone operation, there are now (4) boot options in the Gigabyte Aorous Elite Bios. Two bootable and two non bootables for the SSD and M.2 respectively. I arrange both M.2 boot options as: #1 Evo Boot and #2 Evo Non Bootable. The Boot order apparently falls through to #3 Ultra II SSD bootable which still launches regardless of the assigned Boot order. I cannot get the M.2 to convert to the Primary System Drive.

Can something be done in Windows 10 to make the EVO M.2 become the primary system drive or do I need to deactivate and format the the Evo970 then rerun the Macrium Reflect Free all over again?

Thamks in advance.

Solution
Count Mike, What is the best strategy to keep my nVMe and SSD drives close to identical all of the time in order to facilitate interchangability?

Clone C Drive constantly, Full Backup repeatidly or Full Backup with incremental maintenance? Do this through Macrium Reflect Free tool or do Restore Points in Windows 10?

hanks.
Restore points are useless ans so is windows backup. even MS advise not ton use it. MR is about best backup program. I use payed version in regular W11 and Insider dev on another disk but with free MR.
I set MR schedule to make one full backup once a week and daily incremental every morning. Incremental backup is short fast and produces smallest .mrimg file but has to be used with same full backup it...
I downloaded and used the Macrium Reflect Free to clone my Ultra 2 SSD to the EVO 970 M.2 drive. The clone was successful. In File Explorer both disks look identical and both are Active . However, when I go into Disk Management, the EVO addition lacks the Bootable, Page file and Crash file attributes. The Ultra II does have them.

After the clone operation, there are now (4) boot options in the Gigabyte Aorous Elite Bios. Two bootable and two non bootables for the SSD and M.2 respectively. I arrange both M.2 boot options as: #1 Evo Boot and #2 Evo Non Bootable. The Boot order apparently falls through to #3 Ultra II SSD bootable which still launches regardless of the assigned Boot order. I cannot get the M.2 to convert to the Primary System Drive.

Can something be done in Windows 10 to make the EVO M.2 become the primary system drive or do I need to deactivate and format the the Evo970 then rerun the Macrium Reflect Free all over again?

Thamks in advance.
It's better to make full disk backup and restore it to new disk but there's another option. If you make Rescue USB from MR and BOOT from it there is and option to "Fix BOOT problems". Just choose right disk..

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
It's better to make full disk backup and restore it to new disk but there's another option. If you make Rescue USB from MR and BOOT from it there is and option to "Fix BOOT problems". Just choose right disk..
Count Mike, What is the best strategy to keep my nVMe and SSD drives close to identical all of the time in order to facilitate interchangability?

Clone C Drive constantly, Full Backup repeatidly or Full Backup with incremental maintenance? Do this through Macrium Reflect Free tool or do Restore Points in Windows 10?

hanks.

hanks.
Restore points are useless ans so is windows backup. even MS advise not ton use it. MR is about best backup program. I use payed version in regular W11 and Insider dev on another disk but with free MR.
I set MR schedule to make one full backup once a week and daily incremental every morning. Incremental backup is short fast and produces smallest .mrimg file but has to be used with same full backup it was made of.
If you want constant and parallel disk synchronization you could have disks in RAID 1 or 10 or use something like this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/404Error.aspx

Solution