Question Cloned HDD is same size as Primary

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I cloned my SSD primary, 232mb drive to a 1tb mechanical drive. Once the cloning succeeded, the large drive became 232mb. This was okay but now that i've crashed another large hard drive, i'm needing the space.
Instead of cloning again, i thought i'd make an image this time. My question is, if i reformat that 1tb destination drive, will My Computer (windows 7) show its 1tb size again?

Thanks a lot

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You don't strictly clone the "drive", you clone the "partitions". The 1TB drive is still a 1TB drive.
So, if the SSD was ~250GB and fully partitioned, that's all you clone over - and the HDD will act as the SSD did initially (in this case ~250GB). You can then expand the C partition in Disk Management to regain the balance of the 'lost' space.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Windows+x>>disk management (or shortcut k), click on the drive, go to the blue section and rightclick>>extend volume go through the wizard and its done

The unused space is represented by the black sections

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
no i'm still booting from the c: ssd.

Well Hell, you're right; the 2 drive letters are ass backwards

No, it is not.
Extend C: (not G: ).

Thanks for pointing that out. i suppose i changed the boot order to test the clone and never changed it back...no wonder i have felt sluggish :/ So now i'm booting to the ssd again. I'd like the ssd primary drive to be named C: but i keep getting a 'incorrect parameter' error. i can live with it. At least now i'm booting to the ssd and y'all did help me get my space back on that hhd. so thank you thank you thank you!

I cloned my SSD primary, 232mb drive to a 1tb mechanical drive. Once the cloning succeeded, the large drive became 232mb. This was okay but now that i've crashed another large hard drive, i'm needing the space.
Instead of cloning again, i thought i'd make an image this time. My question is, if i reformat that 1tb destination drive, will My Computer (windows 7) show its 1tb size again?

Thanks a lot

You can go into disk management and dynamically extend the partition to use the full terabyte. I've done it before. You'll need to delete the unused partition (if it was partitioned) and re-add it as a as part of extended partition.

EDIT: Oops. Never mind. I see others have you covered with this information.

Reactions: ss_56