Cloned SSD to External HDD can I use it to boot Windows 8?

WinterWolf_A_

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
I have recently cloned a SSD with Windows 8 on it onto a External HDD. I was wondering if I could buy a eSATA cable (there is a slot for it on the HDD) and use the external HDD to boot up windows 8 and use it like I would normally, on another computer as a primary drive without any other drives connected. (I have tried it with a usb while hooked up to the power supply, also tried using a usb and outlet combo, both started up but failed to detect the drive) Could I have cloned it wrong? Will a eSATA make it work? And is there something else I can try to make it work, or is it impossible?

1. The first question that raises itself is...if your objective is to utilize this cloned drive as the boot drive in a new PC, is there any possibility you can remove the HDD from its USB enclosure and simply install the disk internally in the new system to determine if it will boot?

2. All these other descriptions you've outlined as to what you have tried with this cloned USB external HDD apparently are connected to the PC you're currently working with - not "another computer". Is that right?

3. So is your plan that you would maintain two PC's - each with the Win 8 OS - the "another computer" would be using a cloned copy of the Win 8 OS from your current PC? Is that your primary objective? If that is so you would need a license for each OS as long as you're maintaining two PCs, each using the same licensed OS. I assume you understand that.

4. It is possible for a USBEHD containing a cloned copy of the OS to be a bootable drive. We routinely use a USBEHD (or SSD) as the recipient of the cloned contents of the system's boot drive. In most (but not all) cases the cloned USBEHD is a bootable drive while connected as a USB device. Generally speaking a generic (self-built) PC equipped with non-proprietary components has no problem booting to a USB clone of the system's boot drive. On the other hand (in our experience) laptops/notebooks will usually balk at booting from a USB external drive.

5. There should be no problem booting to a eSATA connected drive that is the recipient of the cloned contents of a PC since the system will ordinarily treat that drive and an internally-connected disk. Please understand I'm referring to the PC that was the source of the cloned contents of the eSATA drive and that drive is being utilized as the boot drive on the SAME system. We're NOT talking about transferring the eSATA cloned drive to "another computer". It's possible the eSATA drive may be a bootable device on a new PC but it will depend upon a number of factors. Capiche?