Question Cloning an SSD in one computer and booting it in another doesn't work ?

Dec 20, 2022
Hi all,

Got a weird one here, SSD with windows on will boot in two old dell laptops i have i5 2nd gen and i3 4th gen.
I need this to work as it has a certain software on it which takes around 3 days to download and install.

however if i put the ssd into either of my other laptops i7 8th gen or i5 10th gen, it won't boot.

all the boot settings are the same
legacy
raid on
secure boot off

on all and still doesn't work, yet if i put it back into the older laptops it boots everytime.

am i missing something?

all laptops are dell latitude of various different models.

I can pop a ssd thats blank into the new ones and reinstall the o/s without issue.

Just feel like i'm obviously missing something.

Thanks
David

D

Deleted member 14196

Welcome to reality. It isn’t ever going to work either.

contrary to popular belief windows is not modular I repeat, not modular

format c: and clean install

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
It is called "clone to dissimilar" (google it) and most cloning tools have a special version of their software for this use, it removes all non MS drivers and does some other stuff to make windows as vanilla as possible to make it able to start on a different system.

USAFRet

Titan
It is called "clone to dissimilar" (google it) and most cloning tools have a special version of their software for this use, it removes all non MS drivers and does some other stuff to make windows as vanilla as possible to make it able to start on a different system.
Yes.
In Macrium, it is called ReDeploy.

But people are still under the impression that if you just stick it in a new system, "windows will figure it out".
And repeatedly give that advice.

Dec 20, 2022
Yes.
In Macrium, it is called ReDeploy.

But people are still under the impression that if you just stick it in a new system, "windows will figure it out".
And repeatedly give that advice.

Yeah,

nothing worked in this scenario.

if i put it in an older laptop and had all the bios set to the same as the new laptop, it would boot on the old, but not the new.

I presume as it had been done on an older machine that's why the newer devices didn't like it.

Yes it just says no boot device, in both of the newer laptops

Thanks
Then are you sure that the old laptops don't boot from some other device?
Or check the bios of the new laptop for boot priority and see if the ssd shows up for you to select.
Newer bios have two lists one where you select the boot order like ssd/dvd/usb and one where you select the order for each of these, so make sure ssd is first but also go to the list of ssd devices and make sure that this ssd is set first.

Any issue with windows and drivers would show up much later, if it doesn't show up as a boot device it is worth it trying to do a few things.