[SOLVED] Cloning the current SSD notebook windows to a larger one without buying extra hardware

alrosh

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I want to replace the SSD with a larger one (256 GB) without the need to reinstall the windows.

And I have 2 HDD in my notebook:
  1. SSD 128GB (windows partition)
  2. HDD 1 TB
I know there are different type of software can do that like Clonezilla, EaseUs, etc. But because of the COVID-19 crises, the closest date to get M.2 to USB adapter is 6 weeks.
So my question is there any possibility to clone the windows without the need to buy extra hardware. for example clone my current windows to the 1 TB hard disk then move it to the new SSD.

Is it possible to achieve and how?

Solution
Is you current m.2 slot pcie capable, or, only sata capable?
The make/model of your laptop would help.

You say you can free up 140gb from your 1tb HDD.
After that process, how much space on the 1tb HDD is actually used?
What resided on the HDD?
Simple file folders or also installed apps?

At the store where you might buy the larger ssd, why can't you also buy a simple usb to m.2 adapter cable?
They are cheap.

Converting the windows C drive is simple.
My preferred method is to use the samsung ssd migration app to move your Windows C drive to one of their ssd devices like a samsung 860 evo.
To do this, you remove the HDD and replace it with a samsung ssd.
You run the app to copy the 128gb ssd to the new ssd and boot from it.

The trick...

USAFRet

Titan
Possible,Although Not suggested as any interference with the process can cause sever corruption to the system
all in all I suggest a fresh install
??
Done properly, cloning is no issue.

Of course, having a known good backup is strongly recommended. But you should have that any time the PC is turned on. Or turned off. Or has been ion a storage locker for 3 years.

alrosh

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Possible,Although Not suggested as any interference with the process can cause sever corruption to the system
all in all I suggest a fresh install
I'd so, but there're a lot of modifications done on the installed programs.

Do you already have a replacement m.2 ssd?

Another option is to buy a conventional sata 2.5" ssd and put that in the HDD slot.
The slot I have is m.2 2280 and I'll get once I got solution.

hmmm, with this I'll have 2 SSD installed, right? my old 120 GB and the upgraded one.
It's a good suggestion but I'll lose the advantage of having two HDD installed together.

USAFRet

Titan
I can free up to 140 GB from it.
and the SSD I'm looking for either WD Green 480GB or kingstone UV500 480GB
type M.2 2280
Don't get the WD Green. Substandard performer. Yes, it is inexpensive....for a reason.

So, to migrate between the two drives.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

What resided on the HDD?

At the store where you might buy the larger ssd, why can't you also buy a simple usb to m.2 adapter cable?
They are cheap.

My preferred method is to use the samsung ssd migration app to move your Windows C drive to one of their ssd devices like a samsung 860 evo.

The trick is how to recover any data from the HDD without any other expenditure.
For that, one way is via the usb to sata adapter cable.
If the amount is small enough to fit on the current m,2 128gb ssd, the task is easy, reformat the m.2 and just copy what you need. Or, you could split the data recovery between the two drives.
More likely, you would want a larger m.2 to hold it all.
It might be best to buy one 1tb ssd in the first place and run with only one drive.

M.2 is a size spec. A M.2 drive comes in sata and pcie flavors.
There is no noticeable difference in performance between a sata and a pcie ssd.
The sata versions are cheaper.

How much simpler this all becomes if you can get a USB to sata/m.2 adapter cable.
You just move windows to the usb attached ssd device and replace the 128gb ssd.
There is an added benefit that the replaced HDD can now be used for external backup via the usb cable.

Reactions: alrosh
Solution

alrosh

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Don't get the WD Green. Substandard performer. Yes, it is inexpensive....for a reason.

So, to migrate between the two drives.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.
Thank you.
Would Kingstone UV500 480 GB be fine orbetter to downgrading to WD blue 240 GB?

What resided on the HDD?

They are cheap.

The trick is how to recover any data from the HDD without any other expenditure.
For that, one way is via the usb to sata adapter cable.
If the amount is small enough to fit on the current m,2 128gb ssd, the task is easy, reformat the m.2 and just copy what you need. Or, you could split the data recovery between the two drives.
More likely, you would want a larger m.2 to hold it all.
It might be best to buy one 1tb ssd in the first place and run with only one drive.

M.2 is a size spec. A M.2 drive comes in sata and pcie flavors.
There is no noticeable difference in performance between a sata and a pcie ssd.
The sata versions are cheaper.

How much simpler this all becomes if you can get a USB to sata/m.2 adapter cable.
You just move windows to the usb attached ssd device and replace the 128gb ssd.
There is an added benefit that the replaced HDD can now be used for external backup via the usb cable.

• barely, more 5 GB free after the 140 reserved.
  • on HDD, there is no installed apps, my personal and work files.
  • The store don't have the adapter in the stock now, I checked the closest date for online delivery, might takes a month with current circumstances.
I agree that the cable will make my life much easier, I'll try to find an alternative store or just stick with USAFRet suggestion or the SATA SSD suggestion.

One last question, is Samsung migration program exclusive to their products or can be used on another SSD?

And I appreciate a lot your time.

The samsung ssd migration app only works with samsung products.
It is a proprietary adaptation of the clonix software.
Other vendors may have something similar.
Here is a link to the app and the manual which will tell you what products it supports and how it works:

The app is a windows C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.

And, it may be important to know if your laptop m.2 adapter is sata only, pcie only or both.
That is why I asked for the exact make/model number of your laptop.