[SOLVED] Closed back or noise cancelling for blocking out a noisy bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearpaws

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hi, I currently have the Sennheiser PC 360 headset, which I've been very happy with, but it's open back and now I need something that is better able to block out the high pitched noises that a cockatiel can make. As far as I can understand from googling around, noise cancelling doesn't do much for high pitched noises, it works better with low constant sounds. So my question is, is a closed back headset actually going to make much of a difference in blocking out a noisy cockatiel, or should I just stick with my open backed headset?

Solution
What you need for annoying sounds like birds, children, and wives is noise isolation. Open back headphones are horrible for noise isolation. You need something that covers the ears entirely and has good insulation. I use a set of Sony MDRV6 cans that are pretty darn good at blocking outside noise, but aren't noise canceling. They are also big, heavy, and have a heck of a cord on them. If you want good isolation and noise canceling that is going to cost you some money. I've recently purchased a set of Sony CH700N bluetooth wireless headphones with noise canceling. They have good noise isolation and the noise canceling is ok, but the mix of the two make for a good experience. Those are pretty pricey though being right around $200. So...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I came to point out Noise cancelling not much good at voices (and I assume the bird would count as a voice) as I use some on buses and can often hear people around me, but I can't hear the bus itself (first time I wore on bus I was sure it wasn't working until I removed them and heard way more) and only in quiet times of the music. Using Sennheiser PXC 550

https://noisyworld.org/noise-cancelling-headphones-voices/

It does say Closed let in less outside sound but whether thats enough to block a bird, is hard to say - https://www.soundguys.com/open-back-vs-closed-back-headphones-12179/

What you need for annoying sounds like birds, children, and wives is noise isolation. Open back headphones are horrible for noise isolation. You need something that covers the ears entirely and has good insulation. I use a set of Sony MDRV6 cans that are pretty darn good at blocking outside noise, but aren't noise canceling. They are also big, heavy, and have a heck of a cord on them. If you want good isolation and noise canceling that is going to cost you some money. I've recently purchased a set of Sony CH700N bluetooth wireless headphones with noise canceling. They have good noise isolation and the noise canceling is ok, but the mix of the two make for a good experience. Those are pretty pricey though being right around $200. So, you're probably going to want to do some research on what would be the best headphones for you, just make sure you are putting the emphasis on noise isolation.

Solution

Bearpaws

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
So it sounds like noise cancelling won't do much for me, and I should focus on something with good noise isolation. I don't want to spend too much, around $100. I have been looking at the Kingston HyperX Cloud II, seems to have good reviews and a reasonable price. Do you guys think they would serve my purpose well?

So it sounds like noise cancelling won't do much for me, and I should focus on something with good noise isolation. I don't want to spend too much, around $100. I have been looking at the Kingston HyperX Cloud II, seems to have good reviews and a reasonable price. Do you guys think they would serve my purpose well?
Seems like a good choice to me. Not what I'd get but reviews are generally pretty positive and noise isolation seems to be a lauded feature. They should work great for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS