Cloud-Gaming Service Set for Thursday Launch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
As much as I don't care for cloud computing, but your all idiots. Obviously cloud will fail in your mind, because how many companies truly funded it? You think something under-funded as cloud will be good the first year? Hell maybe 2-4 years? Maybe with cloud computing, the US will finally gain some kind of decent network infrastructure! You figure some people would be happy to have cloud computing.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]simple11[/nom]As much as I don't care for cloud computing, but your all idiots. Obviously cloud will fail in your mind, because how many companies truly funded it? You think something under-funded as cloud will be good the first year? Hell maybe 2-4 years? Maybe with cloud computing, the US will finally gain some kind of decent network infrastructure! You figure some people would be happy to have cloud computing.[/citation]

I agree 110% with what you say about cloud computing, however and this is a big however, Cloud computing is not Cloud gaming. Cloud gaming is going to be way harder to pull off than simply storing your data on the cloud. Until bandwidth picks up.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
The only thing cloud will be usefull in the game community are Steam/Netlfix like services. (Having saved games and saved control configs following your around are wonderful.)

People complaining about "expensive" local hardware are clueless or are still using the same computer their parent bought them for high school or college.

With screen resolutions stalled at 1900x1200p hardware is already dirt cheap for the traditional console or PC gamer set-up. Even a 3-5 monitor rap around setups are pittifully cheap and getting more so by the day.

The best use for "Cloud" gaming in my book is having a monster/multi GPU server in the basement that can stream what ever game you are playing to any monitor or tv in your house. Want to play to play crysis 2 at 5700x1200 in your nerd cave and it hogs all the GPUs just for you. Invite a few friends over for a lan party and you can break up the 3 pack of monitors so everyone has one along with another guy in the living room on the TV and your local machine streams 1900x1200 video to each monitor on a 10Gb wired home network without them having to drag their machines along.

Combine that with the family guy with 2-3 kids and a wife. Where you need more than a couple machines and you keep them all happy without going broke.

No fuss no muss and most importantly no lag.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]simple11[/nom]As much as I don't care for cloud computing, but your all idiots. Obviously cloud will fail in your mind, because how many companies truly funded it? You think something under-funded as cloud will be good the first year? Hell maybe 2-4 years? Maybe with cloud computing, the US will finally gain some kind of decent network infrastructure! You figure some people would be happy to have cloud computing.[/citation]
Cloud computing/gaming is the future. Unfortunately the future isn't here yet.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
This seems like quite the rip-off to me, I keep expecting to see the headline "On-Live CEO takes investors for millions and flees country" I cannot imagine that given the current network infrastructure in the US that this could actually work well. I'm sure it will work, just not very well, and certainly not well enough for me.

Hrm, wonder if the controller is any good?

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

I've always thought that On-live would be a better software product than gaming service, their streaming technology making all the brute force of my gaming rig available to any computer in the house, over a local network it could be doable, as for running over WAN? that's definitely not going to work :sol:

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]geofry[/nom]The only thing cloud will be usefull in the game community are Steam/Netlfix like services. (Having saved games and saved control configs following your around are wonderful.)People complaining about "expensive" local hardware are clueless or are still using the same computer their parent bought them for high school or college.With screen resolutions stalled at 1900x1200p hardware is already dirt cheap for the traditional console or PC gamer set-up. Even a 3-5 monitor rap around setups are pittifully cheap and getting more so by the day.The best use for "Cloud" gaming in my book is having a monster/multi GPU server in the basement that can stream what ever game you are playing to any monitor or tv in your house. Want to play to play crysis 2 at 5700x1200 in your nerd cave and it hogs all the GPUs just for you. Invite a few friends over for a lan party and you can break up the 3 pack of monitors so everyone has one along with another guy in the living room on the TV and your local machine streams 1900x1200 video to each monitor on a 10Gb wired home network without them having to drag their machines along.Combine that with the family guy with 2-3 kids and a wife. Where you need more than a couple machines and you keep them all happy without going broke.No fuss no muss and most importantly no lag.[/citation]
That is a short-sighted viewpoint. Cloud computing started off with just file storage (actually started decades ago, but i digress) and is moving toward off-loaded processing. As network speeds increase, the possibilities will continue to grow. In 10+ years, I can see cloud gaming become a viable reality. Especially since consoles and 'casual' gamers seem to be holding graphics back.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
many different companies have tried this same concept now in the past 10 years. until the ISP's cough up enough bandwidth across the entire footprint and REAL reliability this type of service is pointless.

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I will not be supporting this, already sounds worse than a console. I play PC man.... Imagine how bad consoles are to me already??? I'm sure no AA, no AF; who knows what in game settings would be used and what the actual resolution(not the upscale)would be rendered in. All of these things affect gaming directly. And I love the whole casual gamer shit about not needing a decent experience while gaming "cause I don't game that much". Most people I know with consoles have MORE games than me and probably log more time online than I do. LOL

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Guys...... wrap your head around this. We are all assuming that this thing uses current internet p2p video streaming style technology. If so laggy, then how can cable and satellite companies give us a full 1080p On Demand movie with lil to no buffering or pre-downloading with fast forward and replay value?
Its because they give u a dedicated channel frequency that's yours alone.
Now imagine Cable's TV on Demand viewing concept, but hooked up to a computer. It could be done wired like having a very long HDMI and usb cable hooked up to your neighbor's $5,000 uber-computer across the street and playing it on your TV and game controller at your house.

This concept is very doable because how much bandwidth does it take to stream an output video created from a quad nvidia computer compared to your computer doing all the graphic calculations instead?

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
From my quick glance over this comment section I am pretty sure that most, if not all of you, have seen the demonstration of this service. I watched the video that Tom's had linked to a while back. At first I was very skeptical, but as I watched the demonstration, heard the explainations and listened to his business model and ideas I began to wish I had thought of it.

Mark my words, all of you who havent seen the video will be eating your words by this time next year, and all of you that have and still think this system doesnt work will be amazed at how quickly this service will eat up the market.

I am pretty sure that with in the next 10 years we will start to think of Xboxes and P3s as we do now with Ataris', Intellivisions' and Colecovisions'. great games, but old junk. At the very least your grandkids wont know what a console is by the time they are old enough to play games.

I personally am with a lot of people about the whole privacy thing, but at the same time companies like Valve and Nintendo do a pretty good job of protecting my privacy now, so this company would probably endeavor to do twice the job that they are seeing as this is a big concern of gamers.

Additionally, the whole issue of piracy and DRM are going to be gone. And dont think we are going to loose the ability to MOD or customize, with all the control and income the game companies are going to have at thier disposal they will more than likely be able to start working on ways to allow any user to give to the community of gamers.

My only wish, BRING THIS TO CANADA NOW!

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Dang. where is the edit button...

"From my quick glance over this comment section I am pretty sure that most, if not all of you, have seen the demonstration of this service. "

should have been

From my quick glance over this comment section I am pretty sure that most, if not all of you, have NOT seen the demonstration of this service.

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
From the technical FAQ page

"Latency is the technical term for "lag", and high latency may result in you experiencing a slower than normal response from a game when you press a button or move a joystick or mouse. Because OnLive games run remotely from your home in an OnLive game data center on game servers, even though your communications to the OnLive data center is at almost the speed of light, there will more latency than if the game were running on the same game server in your home. OnLive technology was designed to keep that latency as low as possible, hopefully to the point where you don't even notice it, and at this stage in OnLive's technology evolution, most OnLive players report that they experience no latency or acceptable latency. But, some players will find the current latency unacceptable in some games. With further development, we know we can reduce the latency further, but you should decide for yourself whether OnLive's current latency is acceptable for your gameplay needs, and the best way to find out is to give the OnLive Game Service a try and play a few free demos."

Latency matters primarily in FPS games, but I'm curious about their patent pending video compression... it might work. I'd like to note that although it won't work on everyone's internet connection, but someday it will, and they're getting in the market early, which is smart.

Most the naysayers here have no imagination what will be possible in the future and make judgments about something they haven't tried, only what the imagine in their very limited minds.

G

Now that the service has launched (beta anyway), for those that rant how much it will suck - please just sign up and see it for yourselves. The quality was just fine. It really acts more like a big demo disc at the current form, as you can only play 30 minutes at a time without it restarting (unless you buy a day pass). But most the complaints I read here were those that haven't even tried it. The inventor is really quite brilliant - producing some incredible technologies. I would not be so quick to just its failure; in fact - I'd bet on it succeeding and being bought out quite quickly. My point is - don't judge until you actually have actually seen something. We don't care about your guess on if it will succeed, or other second guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.