Question CLSID KEy error, Power Plan disappeared, Probably registry messed up, @winlangdb.dll error

nagonis

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
I would like to refer to this old thread. This unusual and very rare issue never died out, as it seems. Just a month ago, everything worked. Major things I did between the time it still worked, and the time when I noticed the issues the first time: Installed AMD Adrenalin/Driver Updates v24.7.1 and I installed monthly cumulative updates for Windows (August 2024).

A description of the issues:

- I always used UAC on highest level. But eventually I noticed I can't uninstall some softwares anymore from the classic Software list (the windows 7 list, not the Windows 10 app list). It gave me an error, saying the software might have been uninstalled already.

- When some softwares were updated, their shortcuts disappeared from the Window Search bar (they were present as ghost-shortcuts but without any destination)

- I use multuple keyboard languages. Clicking on it on bottom right to change language, the names are turned into "@Winlangdb.dll - ####" (with the language ID number). I checked registry and the IDs they belong to, indeed STILL had the original language names, so, registry entry was fine and right, but windows explorer decided not to show the names, but the IDs.

- Power Plan options disappeared. I mean completely disappeared. They are still working (atleast the one which is active), but they are non-existing in the list.

- I cant delete or change some System folders anymore, getting the following error: "cant open access control editor the activation requires a display name to be present under the CLSID Key" - I cant change user password or UAC settings anymore. Most buttons dont do anything anymore. I could work aorund that, by disabling "enableLUA" in registry. This disables UAC. So, I assume whatever happened, is related to my User Profile and UAC. (after disabling "enableLUA", the softwares I couldnt uninstall anymore, I could uninstall them again btw).

- So, this means the UAC prevented me from deleting/changing files in c:/ or Windows system folder, and also accessing certain setting, where the exe of those settings was inside of Windows system32, for example - which explains why many sytsem option buttons didn't do anything anymore. After I disabled "enableLUA", I know was able to use powercfg commands in cmd again, so I made them list ( -L). The poiwer plans were only IDs, no names anymore, so I changed their names with "powercfg /changename". That added them again, but editing them, there were no options in them anymore, only the option of "AMD - optimal, power, battery saving mode" etc. Anything else was not existing in the editing list anymore. (to be fair, before I changed the names, I actually used "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" not sure if this resetted everything to literally below zero)

Another reason I had in mind, is, because my Windows installation is really old. Like, really old. If I rememebr right, it is back then from Windows 10 v1903. I updated to 1909. And when support ended, eventually on one day, I upgraded it to 21H1, then 21H2. And when suppot ended again, I went to 22H2. Even then everything worked fine (with minor beauty issues I would say). But yeah, I suppose those hevay issues started with the last month.

I know this sounds like a bunch of issues, but all of them are connected to each other (I highly assume). Anyone has a clue how this issue is caused? I assume I have to do a fresh install, but I also want to absolutely avoid this issue in future. This issue feels so rare, I could barely find any information about it. So, my priority here is to collect information from users, who experienced similar issues after certain actions/installations/uninstallations. I want to avoid this rare issue in future, and in the best case, we can find out the root of this rare issue. I highly doubt it is a virus btw (already ran scans, too, just to be safe, although I knew it wouldnt be a virus anyways). I know everyone defines "experience" differently, but I would say I am an experienced and safe user. One thing where I wished I had more experience, is, in reading and understanding the Windows 10 Event log. I assume I could get hints there, but I don't really know which events are connected to my issue, and what section I actually should look into.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Event Viewer - start here:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Another place to look is Reliability History/Monitor. Much more end user friendly and the timeline format may reveal patterns.

Both tools include using a click to obtain more information and detail about any given error, warning, or informational entry. The information and detail may or may not be helpful.

Another tool that can be used is Powershell. You can use the Get-LocalUser cmdlet to look at the user accounts on the system.

Get-ACL may also prove helpful;

References:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/p...calaccounts/get-localuser?view=powershell-5.1

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/p...wershell.security/get-acl?view=powershell-7.4

https://shellgeek.com/powershell-how-to-get-permissions-on-folders-and-subfolders/

The objective being to discover and understand the current users and rights. Then focus on making the necessary admin changes so all will be as required.

= = = =

Also update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

nagonis

Honorable
Dec 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I don't want to sound rude, but I hardly doubt this is an issu caused by hardware. I built my PC myself many years ago and it always ran reliably.

There are no permission issues. Even as an Admin I couldn't acces the already described options, unless I turned off "enableLUA" - which is basically the mind behind UAC. I strongly assume, that either Windows Update or another driver installation/uninstallation caused some isses in the registry.

By now, I found another thread here. The user has very similar same issues, and their system is from 2013. Based on those similar issues I found (the ones made public were usually Windows 8 related, though), I doubt that it is an hardware issue, that survived even 10 years later. (My PC was built around 2019)

Nonetheless, let me give some specs:
Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2.
PSU: Corsair RM650x
MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro (rev. 1)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G with Adrenalis 24.7.1 drivers
HDD: Toshiba hdwd130 3TB (CrystalDiskInfo: 22000h run time, helath: good) - disk was usually full enough, for only 100-150GB free space to be left.

SecureBoot, FastBoot etc were all turned off. Bios is probably 1 or 2 versions behind the newest. The most important recent Bios fix I applied, was the "Addresses potential UEFI vulnerabilities. (LogoFAIL)". I just see another new update a few days ago "Update AMD AGESA 1.2.0.Cc for fix Sinkclose Vulnerability of AMD processors (SMM Lock Bypass)" which I am gonna apply now. But I doubt this happened to me, since I never executed code or installed kernel-level software (and uninstalled Easy Anticheat from certain games many sears ago already.. but just ot be save, how to find out whether a software has kernel level access?) and my UAC was also always on highest level, in combination with a firewall that blocks internet acces for everything, unless I give my permission.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Re: "built around 2019".

PSU may be near or at its' designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to falter and fail.

A 3TB HDD that has only 100-150 GB of available space is likely to be problematic. General rule of thumb being that a drive should be limited to 70-80% of capacity.

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced? If not, do so just as a matter of elimination. Replace the battery per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

As for Windows 10 Enterprise (22H2) I will defer to those familar with that OS and any potential problems that that may have.