Question Windows 10 is freezing and crashing ?

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi

I've had my computer (the Threadripper as per signature below) in the same configuration for years now - and surprisingly it has started crashing since coming back from my summer holidays a couple of days ago.

In particular, I've noticed it happens when I run autoCAD or Brave browser - though that might be a coincidence.

The program I'm working on will stop responding (greying out) - the start menu will still come up when I push the window key, but I can't even get the task manager (ctrl-alt-del or through the taskbar). I have to hard reset.

I have already
- updated my graphics card drivers
- cleaned temporary files with Ccleaner
- ran Malwarebytes and Spybot (no issues)
- ran MemTest86 Free (pass)
- opened Event Viewer - though can't quite pinpoint what

I think the only thing I did when returning, is to update some of the minor, day-to-day software that had been out of date - as usual!

Can someone please help me find and fix the culprit?

Many thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu temp? What cooler have you got?

Try sfc/scannow command in cmd (type cmd in search bar, right click the program) ran as administrator.

If that doesn't fix it and temps are good, can you afford trying a clean install of Windows? My intent is to rule out software first, if cmd doesn't help then id try reinstalling Windows or reset at least before looking at hardware, possibly storage drive the OS is on.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Cpu temp? What cooler have you got?

Try sfc/scannow command in cmd (type cmd in search bar, right click the program) ran as administrator.

If that doesn't fix it and temps are good, can you afford trying a clean install of Windows? My intent is to rule out software first, if cmd doesn't help then id try reinstalling Windows or reset at least before looking at hardware, possibly storage drive the OS is on.
Thanks for the input (y)

- Rather sure temps are fine - around 40-50+

- My cpufan is a "be quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4"

- I did do the sfc/ scannow - forgot to mention that. No integrity violations.

- In terms of reinstall - of course I can, but I would love to avoid it - this is my work PC..

Perhaps I can install it on a different drive first.. what do you think?

Reactions: boju