[SOLVED] CM1000 Modem and AC1000 Router Ethernet Troubles

k3nobi

Reputable
Jan 10, 2018
We have 300mbps internet from Xfinity, and recently got a CM1000 modem and a AC1000 Router to go with it. However, when connecting an Ethernet cable to from the modem to the router, the Ethernet light on the modem display as solid amber, which I know from the manual means it's only running at max 100 mbps. I was able to plug my laptop into the modem directly (though for whatever reason I've had trouble doing it again) and when I did that time the speed was about what I expected and the light was green. Not sure what to do/try.

Solution
The more specific model number is R6080. Just to clarify, I'm plugging the router into the modem via an Ethernet cable and then using regular WiFi on my other devices, and that is coming out to be far slower than it should, or when it is when my laptop is plugged directly into my modem.
Yep -- That router only has 100Mbit ethernet port -- https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6080.aspx#tab-techspecs
You need a router with gigabit ethernet ports.

k3nobi

Reputable
Jan 10, 2018
You have to generally reboot the modem every time you change the device you plug into it.

AC1000 is a common name but most router I find with that name only have 10/100 ports on them which likely is the cause of your trouble.
The more specific model number is R6080. Just to clarify, I'm plugging the router into the modem via an Ethernet cable and then using regular WiFi on my other devices, and that is coming out to be far slower than it should, or when it is when my laptop is plugged directly into my modem.

Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
Yep -- That router only has 100Mbit ethernet port -- https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6080.aspx#tab-techspecs
You need a router with gigabit ethernet ports.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution