CNET embarrasses Intel in Dual core review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
You are incorrect sir, far more than 5% off.

This is a SLI score on Intel with a pair of 7800GT's. CPU and GPU overclocked. A single XL scores higher than that.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1473121

Same cards on AMD will score over 10K.

Its not just SLI, the mobo in general in junk. Yes it works and runs SLI yet sucks hardcore. You would be far better off with a single X1800XL or XT on Intel.

The memory timing used on the Intel rig (crucial memory) was 5-5-5-15 @ 200FSB on the cnet review. I dont think I could have found worse memory. I am willing to bet they used 2-2-2-5 timing on the AMD.

The reason why the AMD timings are so low is because it uses DDR memory and not DDR2 memory. Besides, even though you could use timings of (about) 3-3-3-8??? (dont not sh!t about DDR2, but it sounds about right), the performance increase wouldn't be noticable to the naked eye, and it might get a few more "points" on a benchmark. And as other people said, the perfomance gains/looses would be +-5%, nothing too big.

I hear everyone talk about how Intel delivers the best price to performace ratio. Now, I know they have the cheapest dual core chip, but AMD's cheapest dual core chip is ONLY $77 MORE!!!! So I ask you this, why not spend $77 more on a better performing, cooler, better overclocking, just plain better chip.
(I just checked the price on Newegg, it does not include S+H)

Now I ask my self again, which chip is a better "bang for the buck", I would say AMD, even if it is $77 more. Thats $77 more for a bit more quality.
Don't even get me started on the "Bang for the Buck" of S939 Opteron Processors, they OC like MAD!!!111!!! (and they are MAD cheap too).

EDIT: I was reading the quote, and what about a single 7800GTX, instead of a X1800. Would that be ok too?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have some Crucial DDR2 here, it's DDR2-667 CAS3. And it will run 2-2-2-6 timings at 400 data rate. There's a fairly significant penalty for running it with high latency and low data rate, at least in benchmarks, which is what they use to rate these things.

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I have some Crucial DDR2 here, it's DDR2-667 CAS3. And it will run 2-2-2-6 timings at 400 data rate. There's a fairly significant penalty for running it with high latency and low data rate, at least in benchmarks, which is what they use to rate these things.

W/e, like I said I don't really know much about DDR2 timings. I'm pretty sure at DDR2-667 they are 3-3-3-8 though. You are running them at DDR2-400 right? That explains the low latencies. I can get about DDR550 at 3-3-2-8 on my OCZ 2x1GB dimms. It's the new Inferion chips that do high speeds with particularly low timings with 1GB dimms.

endyen

Splendid
So now it is down to personal attacks.
You have nothing to post but insults and bullshit?
I dont see a personal attack, only the same kind of "facts" you claimed in your earlier post.
When logic ,math and reasoning dosen't come out in favor of AMD you guys really lose it.
What logic? math? reasoning? Yours? I believe that I've already posted what I think of the above review. It's as tainted as anything Tom's has ever done, just for Amd, rather than Intel.
And, as others have posted, you seem to be the one loosing it.
I've never been a fanboi or troll.
Does that mean you are not the same rick criswell who left with the other Intel fanboys, like a heard of lemmings, shortly after prescott was found out? He was definitely an intel fanboy, and proud of it.
I have AMD and Intel systems at home
and I have probably owned more Intel systems than you. Doesn't stop me from thinking Amd is amazing, even when thier chips are only almost as good. Then again, they have never been as bad as intel is right now.
Oh and F U.
Thanks, but I'll make my own arangements.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to put the timings in perspective: DDR2-400 at CAS2 has the same latency as DDR2-600 at CAS3 and DDR2-800 at CAS4.

Of course DDR2-800 is all CAS5, but certainly DDR2-400 at CAS5 is horribly laggy.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
One word: Northwood.
Make that one word, and the letter c and I'll buy it. Any time I can find it at a decent price.
The b core wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.But the A and B were both really good overclockers. True, at stock C was the only decent good one. But when OCing...

DRAGoNX

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
But the A and B were both really good overclockers.
Why do the xp1700, and 2500 come to mind? Oh I know, because they would blow the doors off an A or B, and cost 20% less than the cheapest.

Don't forget about the XP2500+ Mobile.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Dont forget about the awesome 2100+ t-bred B. After I fried my 1600+ and the beloved Xeon accidently put my hsf on backwards and fried my 1700+ I got a 2100+ that did a hair over 2.4ghz and ~2.2ghz 24/7. I loved that chip because @ the time some intel fanboys had convinced a few of my buddies that my AMD would automatically crash if i ran 2 DAOC games @ once and I did it(oc'd to 2.2 as well) and it performed admirably with no crash. Good times proving the foolish wrong :wink:

pat

Expert
Don't forget about the XP2500+ Mobile.
Mine ran @ 2.45ghz, so no, I would never forget the xp-m chips. It's just that they didn't hit the market until after the P4c had been released.

My mobile ran @2.5 on air, but I was too chicken to risk it day long. I could boot at 2.6, but was too chicken again to bump the voltage higher.. And that was with multiplier overclock only. By playing with the FSB, I could get various result, but there again, I was too chicken to push the voltage ...

I wasn't quite ready to loose my computer for a while in case of "accident"

So, I end up running it a 2.4 for video work, and I put it a 1.8 when I was doing light work or watching movies.. I could cut the CPU cooling fan to a speed that make it completly quiet..

Now, I'll never get a board with a fan on the chipset.. I put my video card fan on my fan controller and cut its speed in half. Cool 'n quiet take care of the CPU fan noise...