CNN Titles Apple Tablet as 'The Everything Killer'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Until I see the video, I'm going to say fake. I don't see or read anything about the kid being dragged around Walmart. And if it is real, the two guys must be retarded. That news segment from the video on the link was equally retarded. I guess local news stations suck no matter where you live. Getting reactions from stupid moms saying they're so scared and that they have young children. Yeah, because there's going to be a huge rash of console related crimes. Maybe your six year old will get kidnapped and forced to buy a PS3. Or are they that stupid and sheltered to believe that crime doesn't exist where they live?[/citation]

??

It is typically useful to write a comment in some way related to the article.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I too have an HP TX2500Z with OneNote. Great for science and engineering classes. My friend who is a graphic artist and comic book illustrator was quite impressed. He regretted getting his macbook.

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I'm still curious as to whether or not it will run OSX or some sort of juiced up iPhone OS. I've heard rumors of both.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
So Apple is releasing a presumably overpriced tablet. Why is this getting so much media attention? There are already tablets on the market, this isn't anything new.

Frankly, I don't see the lure of this. It's the same size or bigger than a netbook, has no keyboard, and will probably cost twice as much. It seems like it will be niche to me. Then again, I'm always surprised at how many lubbers Apple can real in.

G

'Everything killer'? You've got to be kidding. Anyone who would give anything such a label, much less some pretentious Apple product could not be farther out of touch with reality. Like most of these fancy premium gadgets Apple comes up with, it's probably going to claim a meager 1% - 2% of the market in whatever category it fits into, end up way overpriced compared to it's capabilities, and come with all sorts of strings attached so Apple can make sure you're using it the way they want you to. It may be nice, sure. Even if it does all the things they claim it will, it still doesn't seem very practical to me. E-book readers havent exactly taken off, nor have tablet PCs. Netbooks have been somewhat successful, but I think the traditional folding design with the hardware keyboard is by far more useful than a giant iPhone. No matter how popular it ever gets, it's never going to unseat existing netbooks, PCs, e-book readers, media players, gaming consoles, or any of the other numerous devices some CNN blowhard things it will be competing with.

I would only be interested if this turns out to be an over sized iPhone.

I want a tablet like this that I can make calls with, that has built in 3G. I could deal with a 2 year contract if this tablet has true pc type productivity and multimedia capabilities plus a 3G phone built into it. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay $399 for it!

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I like how tablet PC's have been around for years now, but because Apple finally decided to make one it suddenly becomes "the everything killer".

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
To be honest, the technology is just starting to mature. Mobile computer platforms have just recently become powerful enough to at least match with the software that Microsoft has put out there, which is also just beginning to mature.

There had been mobile phones since the 80's and reasonable ones since the late 90's, and mass produced ones since 2003. There were even PDA's and Windows Mobile Phones/blackberries as early as the 1st part of the decade. Not until the iPhone came along with it's streamlined interface did it become a consumer item, rather than a business item.

MP3 Players were around years before the advent of the iPod, and most of them were BETTER than the iPod, hardware-wise, but it was the streamlined interface that hooked the masses.

It bothers me that the player was an inferior product, in many ways, but became more popular. But software is what often drives the industry, and eventually the hardware.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]So Apple is releasing a presumably overpriced tablet. Why is this getting so much media attention? There are already tablets on the market, this isn't anything new.Frankly, I don't see the lure of this. It's the same size or bigger than a netbook, has no keyboard, and will probably cost twice as much. It seems like it will be niche to me. Then again, I'm always surprised at how many lubbers Apple can real in.[/citation]

Overpriced tablet? Wow, please find me a cheaper 12" tablet on the market. That crap convertible notebook from Asus isn't a tablet.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Never mind the clueless editors at CNN, they are the same organisation that runs Newsweek; an overall decent paper, but the "technical" editor is just an Apple fan-boy and I have read a similar article a few weeks back. Pretty much Apple this, Apple that the whole thing and how great the tablet will be.
We all know a thing or two about hardware and we know that some things are just not feasible in a certain package. I can not believe that Tom's HARDWARE site would just pick up such a fairy tale without any criticism or pertinent comments on their side.
Lame...

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Did Laura ever apologize for getting the SCO vs. Novell, IBM, Chrysler, AutoZone, ... cases so utterly, stupendously and completely WRONG? I don't think I'd believe her if she said the sky was blue.

Jenoin

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]NoCaDrummer[/nom]Did Laura ever apologize for getting the SCO vs. Novell, IBM, Chrysler, AutoZone, ... cases so utterly, stupendously and completely WRONG? I don't think I'd believe her if she said the sky was blue.[/citation]
Wow I was just about to post something very similar. She is an idiot.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
just wait a few weeks, and there will be better tablets out that will be faster and more usable, pple are this tie entering a market where there is competition, how ver fools will buy this because its apple and rather than using thier brains and researching will buy this, apple is bringing this out i believe to see if they can lead an existing market

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]foody[/nom]I'm still curious as to whether or not it will run OSX or some sort of juiced up iPhone OS. I've heard rumors of both.[/citation]
+1 to that! The OS will make all the difference for this device.
Will it be an oversized, overpriced iPod touch novelty? Or a slim, multi-touch, high productivity netbook?

CNN can be a bit over zealous sometimes, especially when their tech beat writers do not really have a clue. That aside, if the rumors are true, this appears to be a nice little tablet.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Overpriced tablet? Wow, please find me a cheaper 12" tablet on the market. That crap convertible notebook from Asus isn't a tablet.[/citation]
Show me the price of the Apple tablet? The price hasn't been announced, so I am assuming it will be just like every other Apple product, and that is extremely over-priced.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]I have had my HP Pavilion tx2500z for over a year. A great ultraportable and the screen swivels down so it can be used as a tablet PC. Took all my notes in college last year in OneNote. It was the best investment I made that year. My only regret was that I didn't do it earlier, since that was my last year in college.Apple is late in the game.[/citation]
I got one as well and I love it! :D

rcmaniac25

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
I expect Apple to come out with this, the media and Apple fans freak out. Then after 75% of all high school and collage students have it someone will say "Wait, where's the keyboard?" and suddenly the Apple Tablet 2 will come out and it will happen all over again. Meanwhile the people who actually think and don't just go for the "shiny" will say "We've had this for YEARS and for less money." They will be responded to by Apple fans bring up the Newton and life will go on as normal with the Mac vs. PC wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.