CNN Titles Apple Tablet as 'The Everything Killer'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Show me the price of the Apple tablet? The price hasn't been announced, so I am assuming it will be just like every other Apple product, and that is extremely over-priced.[/citation]

So, if the price hasn't been announced how can it be a "presumably overpriced" tablet from Apple? The article we are commenting on estimates the cost at $599. I'm still waiting.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]First off, fuck CNN, honestly. Ok, got that out of the way...[/citation]

Agreed, who friggen cares for their biased reports? [My favorite was the bittorrent piracy report by Lesley...talk about misinformed!]

Must be CNN is now Apple's new advertising agency...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Overpriced tablet? Wow, please find me a cheaper 12" tablet on the market. That crap convertible notebook from Asus isn't a tablet.[/citation]

So Apple comes out with a monster Ipod Touch "The Everything Killer" so that voids the tablet class of the "convertible notebooks" (A.K.A Hybrids) as not being a tablet? So another words, a tablet is only from Apple? So Apple just redefined the "tablet" because it is [cheaper]? (Though bet you it won't be cheap) I'm sorry but I would rather have a hybrid tablet then a stupid Ipod touch(on steroids) Apple-tablet...

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I struggle to find why this is being labeled as the "everything" killer. I'm sure there's a niche-oriented use for the product, but if priced at $599, then from Apple we can expect less for our money so it likely would use an Atom variant that supports the instructions necessary to run Snow Leopard.
And based on that kind of specification, there isn't a single device in my home that it could replace. I could watch Youtube on it, but I'd rather surf the internet with my more comfortable laptop with its LED-backlit screen. (By the way, I recommend LED screens highly, my eyes get much less bloodshot after looking at the screen for extended periods of time.)
I wouldn't be able to play any games without running Windows, and I wouldn't buy any games for it even if Apple offered them in an appstore-type setup.
My cellphone is working perfectly fine with my existing Verizon contract that I'm 110-percent happy with and which won't be up until late next year. It couldn't replace that.
It also couldn't replace my desktop PC which is used for gaming, but also for general purposes like video, audio, and photo editing on my high-res 21.6" monitor which is 1920x1080. No serious computing could be performed on a 10-12 inch screen no matter what.
So, if their new product takes off, I'm not sure what exactly it would kill.

G

of course, it'll be an "everything killer"... with its size about 8-10 times of an iPhone, just imagine the explosion it can give...

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
NO THANKS !!!
i own over a 1,000 books in my library and they are all paper based.
My books will always be that way and the day I can't carry books is the day I will be dead.
IE: I do not ever need or want an e-reader.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
If it can get hacked to run Linux it'd make an amazing medical device. Apple's medical software support is non-existant, Windows is good, and if you could bootcamp Win7Starter, that'd be dope. But Linux is more reasonable assumption and if you got it on there, that'd be an instant medical hit.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Except Axiotron is ridiculously expensive. The cheapest tablet on there is $1650 which is almost three times the "estimated" Apple tablet price. Even if you provide your own Macbook the modding service alone costs $700. Way too expensive.[/citation]

The way I look at it, if you've decided to get a MacBook Pro, you've already decided that cost was not your biggest deciding factor. True, this one would be much cheaper if it actually came out at $500-$600 but I don't really envision that happening unless it comes with a 2-year cell phone contract with a jacked-up monthly rate.

G

At best this is going to cost over $700. But how a product can wipe out anything even before we know what it is. That's tabloid journalism from CNN. But I expect nothing less from a bottom feeder like CNN. I think this was a Wired story though. One thing is typical Apple. Higher price then anything else out there.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The phase-1 marketing roll-out for the iTablet will use the exact same strategy as the iPhone. The initial price will not be cheap. It will be available only from AT&T.

Status
Not open for further replies.