[SOLVED] Code 12 (not enough free resources) on wifi adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefinus321

Honorable
Oct 6, 2014
The last couple of weeks I've been having some problems with my wireless network adapter, where sometimes the device does not start correctly, resulting in my computer (running Windows 10) having no internet connection. The wireless adapter is an Intel AX200 on a PCIE adapter (Gigabyte GC-WBAX200) (to be clear, my computer is a desktop, not a laptop). When inspecting the device in Device Manager, it does recognise the device is not working, and it gives me a Code 12 error:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I have looked all over the internet and tried multiple fixes, none of which worked:
  • Updating drivers, automatically using windows and by manually finding newer drivers
  • Removing and reinstalling drivers
  • Reinstalling windows
  • Updating the BIOS (twice by now, as my motherboard is an Asus B550f so it's quite new.)
  • Looking for other devices in device manager that aren't working, but there appear to be none, even when showing hidden devices
  • Disabling and re-enabling the device in device manager
  • Running the network adapter troubleshooter
  • Resetting my network settings (the suggested fix given by the troubleshooter)
  • Moving the PCIE card to another slot
Restarting the device in device manager and then restarting the entire computer is usually a one time fix allowing me to get on the internet, but even this fails once in a while.

I really don't know what else I could try to fix this.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey did you solve your problem? I also have asus b550-f and recently purchased a pcie wifi card, sometimes its working but when its not, it throws the exact same error message as yours.

No I haven't yet, but I've been in contact with Asus' technical support.

At first they claimed that I could only use the upper M.2 slot (M.2_1) because "the B550 chipset itself has less PCIe lanes available making it possible that you are limited when using any PCIe addon card". However that should not be the case, because:

1. The chipset should have 8 lanes, so the 4+1 for the SSD and wifi card should fit (right?)
  2. The manual says nothing about the M.2 slot being disabled, when it does mention other features being exclusive to...

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
That is the important part of your post, you have two devices competing for the same resources so they are in conflict. I would uninstall your Intel AX200 from within device manager ,check the box to remove drivers ,when complete restart your PC. Don't worry Windows will pick it up again after restart and hopefully your device conflict will be resolved.
Good Luck

Stefinus321

Honorable
Oct 6, 2014
Nope, no such luck, the problem persists.

If only I could find what device it's in conflict with? As I mentioned there is no other device that's failing to boot, as far as I can tell. Even when I go to System Information there seem to be no conflicts directly mentioning the AX200 itself.

Stefinus321

Honorable
Oct 6, 2014
Okay the problem has still not been fixed, but I have done some more digging.

As I said before Windows' System Information does not mention the AX200 directly in the Sharing/Conflict tab but there are some mentions of PCI and PCIE (see below).

Could these possibly be the cause for the problem I've been having? I have already tried to maybe change the I/O Ports and IRQ's manually, but the option to disable the automatic settings is greyed out for me, so I couldn't change anything.

Code:
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF    PCI Express Root Complex
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF    Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x0000F000-0x0000FFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x0000F000-0x0000FFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Memory Address 0xFC200000-0xFC4FFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xFC200000-0xFC4FFFFF    Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V

IRQ 55    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 55    High Definition Audio Controller

Memory Address 0xFC400000-0xFC4FFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xFC400000-0xFC4FFFFF    Standard NVM Express Controller

Memory Address 0xFB000000-0xFC0FFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xFB000000-0xFC0FFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Memory Address 0xFEE00000-0xFFFFFFFF    PCI Express Root Complex
Memory Address 0xFEE00000-0xFFFFFFFF    Motherboard resources

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xE1FFFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xE1FFFFFF    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xE1FFFFFF    PCI Express Root Complex

Memory Address 0xFC600000-0xFC8FFFFF    PCI-to-PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xFC600000-0xFC8FFFFF    AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

IRQ 0    System timer
IRQ 0    High precision event timer

Nov 14, 2020
Hey did you solve your problem? I also have asus b550-f and recently purchased a pcie wifi card, sometimes its working but when its not, it throws the exact same error message as yours.

Stefinus321

Honorable
Oct 6, 2014

No I haven't yet, but I've been in contact with Asus' technical support.

At first they claimed that I could only use the upper M.2 slot (M.2_1) because "the B550 chipset itself has less PCIe lanes available making it possible that you are limited when using any PCIe addon card". However that should not be the case, because:

1. The chipset should have 8 lanes, so the 4+1 for the SSD and wifi card should fit (right?)
  2. The manual says nothing about the M.2 slot being disabled, when it does mention other features being exclusive to each other (i.e. some SATA ports and M.2_2)

So I convinced them to test it, with a motherboard they had themselves and not mine, and they're claiming they cannot reproduce the issue, asking me to send them the device itself. But I really need to have my computer available so I can't do so for now.

As a temporary fix I'm just using the top M.2 slot, so I can at least boot into my OS AND have an internet connection, but I'm not sure on how to continue.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.