Question Coil whine

Sadz_Mas

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I just bought a new rtx 3070ti about a month ago and i was out for a week and today when i came back i heard a wierd gpu coil whine noise from gpu when playing valorant,Is Gpu coil a sign of a bad gpu,Should i RMA my gpu or is it totally fine please help please please

Nov 18, 2022
It is actually fine, but if the noise is to great, you maybe can do a RMA and get one that doesn't sound as bad, but probably you will get the same problem

Sadz_Mas

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I just bought a new rtx 3070ti about a month ago and i was out for a week and today when i came back i heard a wierd gpu coil whine noise from gpu when playing valorant,Is Gpu coil whine a sign of a bad gpu,Should i RMA my gpu or is it totally fine please help please please

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Coil wine is pretty common. I have a little in my 6900xt. Nothing to worry about. When I was doing research I found it can be exacerbated by certain power supplies.

I only notice it when the card is running super high fps so I've put a limiter on it & it's rarely noticeable now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Coil whine often scales with FPS output. In WoW, for example, I ran it locked at 60 FPS. That would keep it quiet. If I let it run at 144 FPS it sounded like a motorcycle. This was a while back with a GTX 980.

Watercooled EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 has extreme coil whine. Comes with the territory when installing waterblocks a lot. EVGA used a thermal goop on the VRM coils, and I am tempted to try getting some myself and putting it in there, rather than the thermal pads in there now. I suspect they did that for the vibration.

I get coil whine when I move the mouse pointer in Windows.

(Side note, my Dell laptop does the same thing when external monitors are in use.)

Sadz_Mas

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Guys should i rma my gpu or is it normal coz i dont hear a lot,its quite low and i can hear it only when i play valorant on 700 or 800 fps and will this coil whine damage or cause performance issues

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just a high frequency sound from the switching frequency of the power delivery phases. Completely normal.

You are asking your GPU to go all out, so it is consuming maximum power. To some extent that will shorten the lifespan of the GPU, but that is what you bought it for.

An RMA might help, but there is every chance the replacement will have the exact same problem.

Reactions: Phaaze88