Question Cold boot reset loop.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Hello.

So I have an issue I have searched for high and low.
I believe the issue started in the past 2 weeks.

Basically every time, I start my PC from cold(was off overnight) I get this reboot cycle.
I'll attach a video link that I uploaded to youtube on private.

First off, my hardware.
Here's the thing. I have recently upgraded my PC quite a bit.

Full specs:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz memory (4 years old)
Samsung 850 Evo Sata SSD 500gb (4 years old)
Gigabyte z390 ud mobo
(about 2 months old)
Intel 9700k (about 2 months old)
Kingston A2000 500gb m.2 SSD (about 2 months old)
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT AIO (about a month old)

HX1200i Platinum PSU (about 2 weeks old)
Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB RTX 3070 (about a week old)

1920x1080p 24Inch Asus monitor, very old(4-6 years) with HDMI
2560x1440p 27inch Gigabyte Aorus cv27q (about half a year old)

I'm not certain if the issue started after the PSU installation or GPU. I'm leaning towards the GPU installation. Since I'm always troubled with things that happen with my baby.
As soon as I discovered it did this, I started searching for solutions.

So next bit of information are overclocks.

The only 2 things that I have overclocked are the RTX 3070(with aorus software, furmark 2 hours stable)
GPU voltage is locked and Power draw is overall extended with the gigabyte version from Nvidia-s TDP 220 to 270w. So that is also locked to the 270w.

My PSU comes with a switch, that allows it to switch from single to multirail. (100A vs 40A) I have it on default, which should be single rail.

Memory is using an XMP profile to reach that 3000 mhz with 1.35 volts.

I have tried both without overclock.
Cpu is on auto even tho I have overclocked it in the past. Nothing crazy, 4.9ghz and Vcore was about 1.28-1.31.

Things I have tried so far:

1. Checking the event viewer for any Critical issues, Errors or warning related to the issue. I have found none. Only the 3 warnings that I had after the boot were User Device Registration, DistributedCOM and CertificateServicesClient-AutoEnrollment. Non important issues with certificates or permissions.
  2. Doing a bios reset and hard reset. Disconnected everything. Let out the residual power from the PC via power button. Disconnecting the Bios battery and doing the same thing. Didn't fix the issue(that was done yesterday)
  3. Trying to see if the case power button was forcing a reboot cycle, so I disconnected it, replaced it with reset button and booted via reset buttong. Everything worked the same way and since it's hard to duplicate the issue without waiting overnight or some longer period of time, i'm forced to longer timelines.
  4. Checking all connections leading to the PSU, motherboard and my SATA device. Everything seems to be connected properly.
  5. Running multiple tests like : OCCT system stability with Large and Small data sets for 3-4 hours both. Running memtest86 for 4+1+1 passes , all tests. Running furmark with desired overclock for 2 hours straight, pluss alot of shorter periods of time. All came back clean. No errors.
  6. Tried to reconnect my GPU PCIE cables to the same modular row on the back of my PSU(didn't know if it makes a difference)
  7. Tried reducing the number of devices using the same extension cord. Used to be that my TV and speakers were also connected to the same extension cord but now I'm only running my 2 monitors and PC off of it.
  8. Tried updating drivers with driverbooster and manually for chipset.
  9. Bios update is done a few months back, latest bios installed f10J.
I probably have tried a few things more, but I'm not remembering them currently.

So my question is. How likely is it, that I may have damaged my motherboard in the installation process of my PSU or GPU.

Or is it possible, that my 1200w PSU draws too much power on cold boot for some reason that it makes some sort of protection trigger and it shuts off?

Or I've seen some possible explanations from older posts that some CPU-s and MOBO-s have auto overclock features that do it purposly to find the most stable clock(even tho I haven't OC-d them)

Or if my memory fails to train is it possible that it doesnt show up with memtest86?

Any help is appreciated.
Many thanks

Maidu

Edit2: Here's the new link, might still be loading: Cold boot cycle.

Last edited:
Your video link comes up private video unable to show. When you start your computer watch the codes on the led window and see if it stops on any code when it shuts down. In the interim, try shutting off fast start in your bios and quick start in your windows setting. See if that helps at all.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Your video link comes up private video unable to show. When you start your computer watch the codes on the led window and see if it stops on any code when it shuts down. In the interim, try shutting off fast start in your bios and quick start in your windows setting. See if that helps at all.
Hey, sorry. I'll change it to unlisted but basically its the cpu led at first. Then it restarts and it gets cpu-dram and restarts again, then restarts again until all lights cycle through and starts normally. No errors in event viewer. No kernel power, nothing. So far im inclined to go with either that ram fails to train or motherboard issue.

On the same topic, i tried to set to sleep and see if it does the same thing and it did. Just one restart but it did.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Did you turn off fast start in bios?
Yes, that was one of the first things i troubleshooted since it seems to cause alot of issues on desktop pcs tied to drivers.

The issue seems to be happening even before it gets to initalize bios. No display output either. Just fans high rpm, led-s turning on. Mobo led(integrated strip)with a delay.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Double channel. 2x8gb. Have already ordered new ones and also a new motherboard. Because as of today, I'm fairly certain the problem is with the motherboard.. Since when starting even the chassis power button doesnt light up, even tho the whole system is doing its boot/reboot thingy. The chassis lights are the only simple things tied directly to the motherboard with the front header.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
A little update. I installed a new Motherboard and ram. The issue still persists. I'm at a loss. Next I'd point my finger to the PSU, even tho the monitoring programs show it's all working properly.

Maidu96

Reputable
Feb 17, 2017
Update 2. It's been some months. Fresh windows install stopped the issue like for 3 days. Then it started again. Doesn't seem to disrupt normal operations beside the occasional cold boot loop and launch to bios has happened once or twice too.

Guess until something fails I'll leave it like that.