Collection of AMD K10 data

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Somehow i don't see Intel being afraid of the big bad AMD offering.
Too bad, competition would speed up the speed upgrades in the Intel lineup.

hzjeffrey

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Somehow i don't see Intel being afraid of the big bad AMD offering.
Too bad, competition would speed up the speed upgrades in the Intel lineup.
I like your rig, man, but wonder why not run a 6800 at 3.5Ghz?
not stable?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002

I have to agree, same conclusion I came to as well.

Considering people are already getting 4ghz out of their core2s and quads, I cant see how it will be worth switching over to AMD for those who already have purchased intel chips, unless you got a crappy overclock which doesnt seem to happen very often.. from what Ive seen, 3ghz is very easy to get, alot of people getting 3.2-3.5 on air. Will barcelona be able to reach those frequencies at first? I dont know. But overall it seems like this is merely playing catch up with Intel, not surpassing them. I used to be an AMD fan btw.

torcida_kutina

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
At least, one post without fight. gOJDO, and everybody else - this is verry, verry nice. I love to read that.

gOJDO - veliki pozdrav iz Kutine iz Hrvatske, ovo sto si napravio je vrhunski. Uzivao sam citati sve to, a nisam mogao vjerovati da si sa baronom pricao bez svadje. Prosli put kad sam ga branio, napisao si mi da je nenormalni majmun koji nema zivot, pa me iznenadilo kako svi lijepo razovarate. Hvala jos jednom na ovom postu.

clintox

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Thank you for sharing that cherie. There's a lot of good insight in that article, and I'm getting a nice lesson in chip architecture.

Yes, it's nice to find a thread that is full of unbiased information.

cherie22984

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Your welcome. I'm always neutral and open-minded...My first cpu was an AMD 3700, then a x2 4800. I currently have a Q6600, so its really hard for me or any serious enthusiast to be biased.

heh it seems AMD tried to take on too many new things all at once making its new generation, where as even intel isnt game enough to do something like that - the core 2 duo design is a few tweaks off a core duo, and the pentium m (dothan), and pentium 3/2/pro.

I hope for AMD's sake they pull this one off and have a chance to compete with Intels new cpu (performance crown isnt the only thing to win, efficency and pricing is something else), i think the first gen AMD design here will be ok but the second gen when they realise the potential of there design is where we will see some life here.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006

Me, too!This thread is awesome for me because I usually read/post in threads/stickys to try to do three things only:
1) Learn something
2) Help someone/answer OPs questions
3) Ask a question

Thank you gOJDO for the thread very informative even though I don't understand most of this stuff.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

Interesting read!

I only hope that the lack of benchmark data from AMD prior to launch is due to them shocking us all with a major improvement over Intel. I'd hate barcelona to suffer the same fate as the 2900XT.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Me too. What's wrong with the 2900XT? I thought the only issue was that people were comparing it to the 8800GTX, when the 2900XTX was meant for that comparison.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Randys Law...
bleeding edge technology will always bleed your bank account

new information releases almost always preceed a manufacturing setback

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It is designed to compete with (and possibly beat, I'm not sure on that one...) the C2D/C2Q. I think Penryn is likely to beat K10.