[SOLVED] Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Ti Ultra White OC-V Temp concerns

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hey everyone i just bought my brand new 3070 Ti i was pretty satisfied with it until i ran any GPU intensive benchmark which had my GPU temps reach up to 85C and in some GPU intensive games it even went up to about 90C which to me is a lot , after some tweaking and undervolting i managed to get down to about 78C while gaming and about max 80 under any benchmark
Here are my specs:
Motherboard: TUF-Gaming b560m Plus
CPU: i5-11400F ( with stock cooler)
Ram:2x8 GB HP V8 3200 Mhz
PSU: BitFenix Whisper 650W
Case: Antec NX800
Ambient Temp about 31C
I'm running with included fans in the case with 2x200mm fans in the front as intake and a x120m in the back as an exhaust , this is a brand new gpu
Is this gpu faulty and should i rma it? or are these temps normal and my airflow just needs work?
Thanks in advance

Solution
This is with the side panel off and a stand fan on high pointing straight at the case with the same conditions worth noting that the temps during benchmark was abouit 80~82 not the shown 60ish temp as i took the screenshot after closing the benchmark
Aye, that's why my focus is on the recorded maximum - the numbers shown in the 3rd column.

Removing the filter saw a drop of about 2C.
Blowing a fan inside saw another 4C drop. Fan present is supposed to simulate a max airflow scenario.

/sees newest screenshot(with no fan)
I think this cooler is a flop - the memory temperatures are really good though, but that's not good enough.
FYI: The thermal limit(core) for the 3070Ti is 90C. On the first screenshot, the core...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get HWINFO.
Play your games... or loop Unigine Heaven or Superposition.
At least 10mins, so there's plenty of time to soak.
Then check and report back the HWINFO maximums for:
-gpu core
-gpu hot spot
-memory junction(if present)

WITHOUT the undervolt, please.

Those temps are way too hot for that card. After following Phaaze88's instructions, it would probably also not be a bad idea to get yourself a 140mm fan, and put it in the rear exhaust location where your 120mm fan is now, and move that 120mm fan to the TOP-rear location, also as an exhaust. With only a single 120mm fan configured for exhaust you are probably not getting enough heat OUT of the case fast enough, which is likely at least contributing to your thermal issues.

Adding a 140mm exhaust fan would substantially improve that.

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Get HWINFO.
Play your games... or loop Unigine Heaven or Superposition.
At least 10mins, so there's plenty of time to soak.
Then check and report back the HWINFO maximums for:
-gpu core
-gpu hot spot
-memory junction(if present)

WITHOUT the undervolt, please.
This is with an ambient temp of about 20C since i'm doing this at 3 am with stock everything , it's also worth mentioning that the clocks were going as low as 1700mhz

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Those temps are way too hot for that card. After following Phaaze88's instructions, it would probably also not be a bad idea to get yourself a 140mm fan, and put it in the rear exhaust location where your 120mm fan is now, and move that 120mm fan to the TOP-rear location, also as an exhaust. With only a single 120mm fan configured for exhaust you are probably not getting enough heat OUT of the case fast enough, which is likely at least contributing to your thermal issues.

Adding a 140mm exhaust fan would substantially improve that.
I could buy 2x 140mm fans and put them up top as exhaust would that work?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is with an ambient temp of about 20C since i'm doing this at 3 am with stock everything , it's also worth mentioning that the clocks were going as low as 1700mhz
Nothing unusual there - by that, I meant the temperature gap between core and hot spot. The max for them is definitely too high.
Memory is at a good range.

I'm leaning towards a lack of airflow...

WOW. These dum-dums at Antec have the 200mm fans sandwiched between TWO LAYERS OF MESH. I can't even...
Why didn't they weave that dust filter together with the front panel, like Cooler Master did with their H500 models???

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Nothing unusual there - by that, I meant the temperature gap between core and hot spot. The max for them is definitely too high.

WOW. These dum-dums at Antec have the 200mm fans sandwiched between TWO LAYERS OF MESH. I can't even...
Why didn't they weave that dust filter together with the front panel, like Cooler Master did with their H500 models???
Are you suggesting that i remove the interior dust filter in the front?

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

These are the temps in the same condition without the front filter

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you suggesting that i remove the interior dust filter in the front?
Yes. It doesn't, or shouldn't be behind those fans. I don't know why they did that.
200mm should move more air than smaller fans, but they trade off static pressure and some manufacturers fail to, or don't bother, to design the chassis around the 200mm, oftentimes being obstructed at the sides.

It shaved off just 2 degrees, huh?
Do you have a desk fan or table fan? Remove the PC's side panel, aim the fan inside, and run it on high speed. Then run the game/benchmark.
If it barely changes like it did with the filter removal, then the problem lies with the cooler.

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Yes. It doesn't, or shouldn't be behind those fans. I don't know why they did that.
200mm should move more air than smaller fans, but they trade off static pressure and some manufacturers fail to, or don't bother, to design the chassis around the 200mm, oftentimes being obstructed at the sides.

Do you have a desk fan or table fan? Remove the PC's side panel, aim the fan inside, and run it on high speed. Then run the game/benchmark.
If it barely changes like it did with the filter removal, then the problem lies with the cooler.
This is with the side panel off and a stand fan on high pointing straight at the case with the same conditions worth noting that the temps during benchmark was abouit 80~82 not the shown 60ish temp as i took the screenshot after closing the benchmark

Last edited:

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

This is with side panel off without the fan in question , i feel like these temps are very high but i'm not sure how exactly a faulty unit would behave for me to judge if this is the norm or not , but keep in mind i live in a hot are and it's bound to reach 40C ambient at some point in summer and i can't imagine how bad it'll be then

I would suggest that you download Afterburner or whatever Colorful offers as their control utility, and try creating a slightly more aggressive cooling profile that takes the fans to 100% at a lower temp than currently to see if it makes any difference as well.

If the fans are going at 100% and the side panel is off, and you are still reaching those temps, then there almost has to be a problem with the card of some kind.

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
I would suggest that you download Afterburner or whatever Colorful offers as their control utility, and try creating a slightly more aggressive cooling profile that takes the fans to 100% at a lower temp than currently to see if it makes any difference as well.

If the fans are going at 100% and the side panel is off, and you are still reaching those temps, then there almost has to be a problem with the card of some kind.
I emailed colorful and i have not gotten any replies yet , i still have a 1 year local warranty from the computer store i bought from but thing is the problem is obsecure and if i tell them something is wrong with the card they're not gonna acknowledge it as an issue as it's not as bad or as apparent as glitches , crashes or artifacts

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Aye, that's why my focus is on the recorded maximum - the numbers shown in the 3rd column.

Blowing a fan inside saw another 4C drop. Fan present is supposed to simulate a max airflow scenario.

I think this cooler is a flop - the memory temperatures are really good though, but that's not good enough.
FYI: The thermal limit(core) for the 3070Ti is 90C. On the first screenshot, the core pretty much hit that.

Solution

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

These are the temps with the same stock fan curve i just pumped fans to 100% upon reaching 80C , even if the temps got better 100% is too loud for me to handle

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

FYI: The thermal limit(core) for the 3070Ti is 90C. On the first screenshot, the core pretty much hit that.
Do you think the issue is in the card model itself or just my card's cooler having something wrong with it?
I'm asking this because i can't see any reviews for this model online that i can't set as points of reference but i've found that similar models from colorful and similarly priced cards having much better thermal performance than mine

Lotfy

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
I'm not turning up anything either, except for Vulcan OC and Ultra White 3070 - can't use those.

In either case, you should be eligible to return it because the cooler isn't meeting thermal compliance.
Through colorful or through nvidia or through my local warranty? Since i'm not sure how warranty for gpu works , for example can i contact nvidia directly or do i have to contact colorful?

No idea. To be honest, every company and in fact, every individual RMA, has it's own particulars. And there are too many variables involved such as what region you live in, what shipper gets used, what the specific issue is, whether it's during the busy part of the shipping season, what company you're dealing with and so on. There is just no way to know anything for sure in terms of time or result.

Contact Colorful and explain to them what you've done so far including the thermal results both with and without side panel on, fan speed on full high, etc.