Question Com Ports Code 34 ?

Kenpilot

Honorable
Jun 4, 2017
All of my Com Ports have disappeared except COM1. They used to all be there and working fine. I'm not sure if a windows update deleted them all at some point or what. I was able to add them by using the "Add legacy hardware" function in the device manager. . Now that I have them all added, they all have the yellow exclamation mark next to them, except Com1. When I click on properties for each of them, I get the same Device Status:
"Windows cannot determine the settings for this device. Consult the documentation that came with this device and use the Resource tab to set the configuration. (Code 34)".

I've searched the internet but can't find a fix for this issue. Can someone please help me clear these exclamation marks and error codes and get them working again? Would upgrading to windows 11 solve the issue? Or buying a new motherboard? Thanks!

MB: ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
MEM: 32GB

Lutfij

Titan
I'd try and look into the BIOS version for the motherboard. Make sure it's on the latest version. Take note to update teh MEI drivers as well as teh chipset drivers. For said drivers, please try and install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Upgrading to Windows 11 is going to net half baked results. In that regards, you're going to have to eventually reinstall Windows 11 from scratch to avoid any mishaps/stability issues. I'd probably go with the reinstalling Windows 10 route, after you've backed up your mission critical content and then fabricated your bootable USB installer for the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools.

just mentioning but... Asus site claims MB has only ONE com port connector, not multiple.
so you should not have more than one unless you have additional hardware and/or software (like emulators) that adds them.

in either case what Lutfij said about reinstalling chipset drivers could work and/or thinking what software you removed and/or changed to cause loss of extra ports?

TRENDING THREADS