[SOLVED] Combining two routers to a single network

yronnen

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi,

I have a somewhat unique situation, and I won't get into the "why"...it will take too long.

Here's what I have:
I have one internet modem provided by my ISP with a built in wifi router and a couple of Ethernet connections, running on the 192.169.0.x segment. I've connected an Orbi router to one of the modem ports and it has a few devices connected to it through Ethernet as well.The Orbi is on the 192.168.1.x segment. The Orbi router is also used for internet connectivity (getting it from the ISP modem, of course).

What I need:
I'd like to connect a PC to the ISP router Ethernet port and to share the same network with the Orbi (preferably the same segment). So basically the entire network will have an access to that PC.

Any ideas how to do that?

Thanks.

Solution
Going to be messy. You would need to connect the pc to both routers. It would have 2 ip addresses and you would access it using the ip based on which network the other clients are on.

It will be much simpler to run the orbi box as a AP. That way everything is on the main network provided by your ISP
Going to be messy. You would need to connect the pc to both routers. It would have 2 ip addresses and you would access it using the ip based on which network the other clients are on.

It will be much simpler to run the orbi box as a AP. That way everything is on the main network provided by your ISP

Solution

yronnen

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

So if the Orbi becomes an AP, will it also function as a "dumb" switch for the connected devices (e.g. the connected devices will use the ISP modem DHCP to get their IPs etc.?).

Thanks...

You can still use your network the way it is now, if all your PC wlll do is serve clients of the Orbi - for these clients, your PC will be "The Internet". However, you wont have direct access from the PC to any of these clients, for the same reason bad gyus in the 'Net don't have access to your PC behind your (ISP) router.