[SOLVED] combo issues (ping and modem support page)

torbee

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I live in Singapore but play a game on North American server. Up until about 5 days ago my ping was manageable at about 200, but now it's hovering at 300+, making the game unplayable. I did a Speedtest which shows high ping (280+)and very low download speeds (5MB) to the US, but high speeds (1GB) and 1 ms ping within Singapore so the provider says the issue isn't with them.
I tried getting into my Asus modem support page but get a "blocked internet access", using either the name or the IP address. Msg says "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". Makes no sense because I was on the support site only a few days ago and my internet access works fine. In fact, I can access the page from my kid's pc (same network).
This is all getting very frustrating and I'm hoping to get some help here. Any idea? Much appreciated.

Solution
Not sure why you can't get into the router maybe try a different browser.

Your ISP is correct. The problem is not in their network or even in your equipment. It is in the connection to other ISP in the internet.

You can run tracert to the game server or maybe one of the speedtest sites. It should show the path and it will likely show the router where the problem begins.

Still even if you find this you likely can do nothing about it unless your ISP owns the router they can not fix it even if they wanted to.

The increase in ping could be because some ISP is running on a backup connection. It could be a undersea fiber got cut and they went to a different path. It also could be that some connection is being over utilized.
Not sure why you can't get into the router maybe try a different browser.

Your ISP is correct. The problem is not in their network or even in your equipment. It is in the connection to other ISP in the internet.

You can run tracert to the game server or maybe one of the speedtest sites. It should show the path and it will likely show the router where the problem begins.

Still even if you find this you likely can do nothing about it unless your ISP owns the router they can not fix it even if they wanted to.

The increase in ping could be because some ISP is running on a backup connection. It could be a undersea fiber got cut and they went to a different path. It also could be that some connection is being over utilized.

Solution