Command Prompt Is Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In a command prompt, type path and make sure C:\Windows\System32 is in the path.

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
In a command prompt, type path and make sure C:\Windows\System32 is in the path.

Grumpy

I still get the message it's an unrecognized command when I type C:\Windows\System32. Tried just C:\ as well and got the same unrecognized command. However, when I type in D:\ or G:\. 2 partitions on the drive, it switches from
C:\Documents and Settings to G: or D: but it won't switch to C:\ or C:\Windows\System32. Tried typing in C:\ and C:\Windows\System32 in G:\ and D:\ and got the unrecognized command.

G

I'm confused. Did you try the "Path" command in the command prompt? If so, what is the output? Is ping.exe & ipconfig.exe in C:\Windows\System32?

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
When I open command prompt it shows C:\Documents and Settings\jms. When I type C:\Windows\System32 in I still get the message it's an unrecognized command. I tried typing in just C:\ and C: as well and got the same unrecognized command. However, when I type in D: or G:, 2 partitions on the drive, it switches from
C:\Documents and Settings to G: or D: but it won't switch to C:\ or C:\Windows\System32 when I type them in at D:\ or G:\, I get unrecognized command.

G

Why are you typing C:\Windows\System32? Type the word path and post the output.

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sorry, miss understood you. This is the path:
PATH=Prgram Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DDL Sharred;c:\Common File\Roxio Shared \9.0DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL

Looks like the problem is the PATH, how can I correct this? Thanks

G

Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> Edit System variables Path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem should be the first 2 folders.

Grumpy

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> Edit System variables Path

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem should be the first 2 folders.

Grumpy

There is PATH and PATHEXT, do I edit PATH? Do I just copy and past the above or do I need C:\ or anything else to precede it? Thanks

G

This works:

Right click your command prompt icon and select properties. In the Command Prompt Properties window, change the "Start in:" setting to C:\Windows\System32. Click "Apply" and "OK".

That sets the default correctly. From there you should be able to run commands without problems
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hello.gif

G

m also encountering a same problm.........f ne solution den plz inform me also....

Status
Not open for further replies.