Question Committed memory issue

Twiner34ern

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Hey,

So recently I've been having issues with games suddenly crashing my gpu and all my other running apps. Games I've been having no problem whatsoever running before. Initially it looked like a gpu issue I suppose so I reinstalled my drivers but nothing. I checked my committed memory after to see that's almost always full, I've been trying to play Sekiro which doesn't take much RAM and I've already played it A LOT before, but it fills my committed memory and crashes everything. I can't say I'm an expert and I'm not quite sure how committed memory works, but shouldn't it be much higher than 13 GB like in this image View: https://imgur.com/HQAUwFf
and this is just standing still with no other apps opened in the background such as chrome or discord. The moment I go into a transition it crashes my gpu and system. I also did both a furmark test and a windows memory diagnostic but they both turned out fine. I ought to mention this started happening after I boosted a game to 5x its speed with cheat engine to cheese some aspects. Probably not the brightest idea, looking back. Anyway I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Go to the product page for your motherboard. Make sure your current BIOS version is the MOST recent one available. If not, update.

Then, on the same page, find the drivers for chipset, network adapters, audio and storage controllers. Download and install all of them to make sure you have the latest versions and not versions that Windows update has decided are more appropriate, which usually, they are not.

No way you should be using >13GB of RAM unless you are doing some serious multitasking WHILE gaming. The recommended, not minimum, but recommended amount of RAM for that game is only 8GB, and it's doubtful you'd even come close to that under any normal circumstances. Something else is going on.

I'd also check task manager to see WHAT exactly is using the majority of memory. It's possible you may have an infection, especially if you have (Not saying you HAVE, but IF) installed any not-legitimate game files or add ons lately that might be compromised. Do full virus and malware scans.

In fact, I'd probably do that FIRST, and then worry about the BIOS and drivers.

It might also be worth doing a CLEAN install of the graphics drivers, which is NOT the same as just updating the drivers.

Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.