Commodore Announces New Quad-core C64x Extreme

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I agree that C= was a hit in the 80s due to it's cheap computers.
When I think about it, they were games consoles packaged as a computer.
More parents agreed to buy their kids a computer in the hope that it's educational than a games console.
There would definitely be a market for an all-in-one to connect to your TV via HDMI, just to play movies, browse the web, play music, and ssshhh don't tell the parents ... play games on. Price would need to be under $500 in my opinion., no need to go for the breadbox design, make it more upto date in appearance.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Why don't they atop using the Commodore64's name - this is ridiculous. C64 was a unique kind of machine, with it's own personality and history. "Current" C64 is just another PC. It's like Amstrad, when they launched PCs with the Spectrum stab over it or like Apple nowadays. No personality, no something special, just a freaking PC.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]Why don't they atop using the Commodore64's name - this is ridiculous. C64 was a unique kind of machine, with it's own personality and history. "Current" C64 is just another PC. It's like Amstrad, when they launched PCs with the Spectrum stab over it or like Apple nowadays. No personality, no something special, just a freaking PC.[/citation]

Why are the owners of the Commodore name allowing this?

Exploiting icons is all the rage today, no pride in anything, the greed factor today is really sickening.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]I actually still have my old Commodore 64 in my closet. Working condition with the box. Hopefully, it will be worth something in 30-40 years when I retire haha.[/citation]

C64s were so common, unless they are new in box, they're not worth much. I have at least four never used ones, and I'm hoping they go up too, but so far, not that much. It's never a machine I particularly liked, even when it came out it was kind of cheesy. I have VIC-20s too, and they're worth even less. Amigas are worth a lot, but liked them even less than other Commodore stuff, so don't have any. If you do, they'll probably go up as they get rarer.

If you've got Pentium Pros, they sell for a lot. Apparently, they have a lot of gold in them, so you can get $20 a pop EASILY. I sold 10 crappy ones in less than 10 minutes on eBay for $200. I still have five new ones (four with 1m cache, so they are way too cool to be sold for scrap), but if you any beaten up ones, now might be a good time to get what you can for them. If gold goes down, so will their value, since that seems to be what it is based on.

If you have a 68030 based Ataris, they are worth lots of money, even now. I'm guessing they'll also be worth holding on to, since people love those things, and they weren't nearly as common as the Amiga.

macos6

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Well, I'm guessing all consumer desktops are all just PC's being that they are majority of the market is using some form of an X86/x64 compatible processor. I think its the nostalgia effect of the case styling and the ability to run the old C64 apps is what makes people want this computer. It the same reason why I'm willing to $2700 for a Apple workstation than for a comparable HP or Dell. Variety and choice drives the market. If someone really wanted to run C64 software any computer with a 486 or an 040 on up can emulate a c64. Personally I'd buy one if they make an Amiga A500 verison as it was my first computer.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Why are the owners of the Commodore name allowing this? Exploiting icons is all the rage today, no pride in anything, the greed factor today is really sickening.[/citation]
It's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu, and the people that own it today have nothing to do with the people who made the 64. They just bought the name, with the intent to exploit it. Strangely, the Commodore name is worth something, despite always being a company held with little respect when they were made. But, for the price, they had memory, excellent graphics, and good sound. But, they were never a brand anyone took seriously, like IBM, Compaq, Apple or Tandy. Of those, only Apple is left standing (another toy computer company like Commodore, Atari, is also out of that business).

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Funny, I remember them costing that much in 1987... Got a bundle for it though. Where's the old dot matrix & CRT? Kid you not, I have 2 of those dinosaur printers sitting in their boxes not 10 feet from me. Though I doubt I could get the ribbons for them any more. :(

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]It's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu, and the people that own it today have nothing to do with the people who made the 64.[/citation]

Funny, I don't see anyone else building new C64 case/keyboards. Say what you will, but the Commodore "name" is worthless if nothing is ever going to be done with it. The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it. At least they are trying retro inspired designs, AND more importantly, bringing products to market. The people that own the brand are doing now what the original company should have done then, innovate. What did the people who made the original c64 do with the commodore name after the business failed? And how would they contribute from the nursing homes they likely inhabit now some 30 years later anyway? You expect too much.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Funny, I don't see anyone else building new C64 case/keyboards. Say what you will, but the Commodore "name" is worthless if nothing is ever going to be done with it. The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it. At least they are trying retro inspired designs, AND more importantly, bringing products to market. The people that own the brand are doing now what the original company should have done then, innovate. What did the people who made the original c64 do with the commodore name after the business failed? And how would they contribute from the nursing homes they likely inhabit now some 30 years later anyway? You expect too much.[/citation]

Just say no to drugs. What the Hell are you talking about?

What does this mean "The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it."

Original Commodore brought a lot of products to market. The Commodore 64 was innovative, in that it had a lot of memory (64K), good sound, sprites, and all for the very low price of $600. They even designed the processor (6510) from the 6502.

These new folks buy everything, and stick a case on it, and that's innovation to you? Are you kidding me? That compares to the original PET, the VIC-20, the failed B128s, and such, etc... A copied keyboard is more than that?

Again, just say no to drugs. You can if you try. Try.

dan_cockrell

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
How did the writer keep a straight face writing this article? You get a $400 computer in a $1000 case. At least Apple writes good cheap software to go with their expensive hardware. Comodore was great...but you sir, are no Comodore.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]It's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu~ Strangely, the Commodore name is worth something, despite always being a company held with little respect when they were made. But, they were never a brand anyone took seriously, like IBM, Compaq, Apple or Tandy.[/citation]
Commodore was a serious PC company - somewhat. In Europe they sold the business CBM line... but it was the C=vic / C64 / C128 and Amigas that were popular.

There was nothing wrong with the hardware (in general) - but the management were STUPID! Keep in mind, the 6502 CPU used in Apples, Atari and C=64 computers were made by.... Commodore.

The AppleII was always sub-standard compared to the C=64 and easily killed by the C=128... yet sold for 1/4 the price. Profit vs Quantity.

The Amiga ran circles around the Macs. Multi-tasking, graphics, sound and again, 1/4 the price. I used to run MAC emulation on my Amigas for (A) fun and (B) for Pagemaker. It ran faster than a Mac with same CPU... :)

MS-DOS... always garbage and never in the same league as Macintosh or Amiga.

Yeah, these guys are Amiga in name, only... and if someone wants to spend $1400 for a C64-PC, oh well - not my problem. I really don't see why it costs that much. The guts are standard. It costs about $15,000~20,000 to make the custom C64 molds and keyboards.

These guys apparently bought the Name and logos of anything Commodore as they are also release "Amiga" 1000~3000 HPC computers, which is VERY insulting.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Priced at $1499, this puppy isn't cheap, but you can't really put a price on nostalgia, can you?"

Yes. Yes I can. Especially since I just built a new rig and it has basically the same thing except a I7-2600k, half the drive space, and twice the memory and it still did not cost me $1500.

bucknutty

Distinguished
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Just need to find a really ancient crt monitor, hopefully without any cigarette stains, and you're good to go...[/citation]
One of the best features of the commodore 64 and 128 is that they had a coaxe connector so you could use your TV as a monitor. When I was a kid I had a 12 inch tv with my comidore 64 plugged into it. I was pretty cool.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
this was being advertised on their website last month. . .

This is like turning on CNN and seeing a report about how Pokemon Black and White are now on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.