Commodore Launching Amiga-brand Desktops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
How about leaving old computers alone? It's bloody ridiculous taking a popular name (Commodore, Amiga) that wrote history with its custom architecture, and use it in order to sell just another PC. At the end of the day, If you want an overpriced PC with fancy design, buy a Mac for God's shake!

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
This brings back some memories...the first time I saw a Video Toaster being used to do what our TV studio was doing, I was hooked. For video work, these things were miles ahead of Windows and Macs (which I think might have still been monochrome when the Toaster came out). It suffered a long and painful demise as Commodore seemed unable or unwilling to capitalize on a PC that could do more for less money than it's rivals. It's the revolutionary hardware that most Amiga fanboys miss, not the Commodore label.

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]The Amiga was never very popular, that's why it died. Like the Alpha, it became much better after it died, but, while it lived, it was a niche product. Unless this thing is running a 68K based processor, it's not an Amiga. Emulator + PC Hardware doesn't make an Amiga. It's just a PC in drag.[/citation]

Maybe in America but in Europe Amiga/Commadore/Amstrad/BBC/Atari ST/etc were the schizzle, consoles couldn't compete with home computers until Sega Released the Mega Drive (Genesis in US), this is why we were immune to the "video game crash of 1983" because we mostly didn't care about consoles at the time

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Can this emulate a real C64 or Amiga 3000 as well? Or is this part of the ASOS? I missed something here.
With todays hardware, I will love to see Turbo Server/Sculpt 3D ray-trace in real-time. Not like 5 mins per LINE of video like it was in the good-ol days..
I hope this ASOS can fully utilize modern video cards as well.

G

Commodore Amigas were years ahead of their time, nothing came close, the Atari ST was a mere shadow. With dedicated hardware and a full blown WIMP OS written in C they made PC-DOS look Neanderthal. The family of 68k processors still live on in the Cell processor. Surely somebody can design a machine that can once more catapult the home user out beyond the limitation of PC architecture? Parallel cell processors, now you're talking: a true inheritance of the Amiga mantle.

New hardware with a mod old design case and emulation. If its a good price many who don't know how to setup emulation would buy one. On the upside Commodore may add some upgraded emulation and or release some code to open source.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Amiga has been continually making their OS for years. This has been planned for quite a long time. Amiga has always been there for people who wanted a small OS that could do more on less.

Some people aren't in the loop.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Commodore USA is a scam... you can tell that in seconds after visiting their website.

Cheap Chinese AIO Keyboard computers and they stick a C= (Chicken Lips logo) double the price and call it a "Commodore". And the "CEO" of this BS company is screaming law-suits. LOL The site looks like 1994 Web junk put together buy a guy who pasted some stuff in Power Point and converted it into a "web site".

Guess he'll snag a few suckers. Even Tomshardware got suckered into thinking it was a real company. Image this "Commodore" company getting about 100 suckers to pre-order these "C64" at $800~$1200 each (Why? When Nettops go for $200?) That's about $100,000 in 1~2 months, then he vanishes. Money gone. Site dies.

Wonder if the guy is from Nigeria?

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Commodore filed for bankrupcy in 1994 about 1 month after I purchased and Amiga 4000 and Video Toaster to start a Wedding Video business. All stock of Amiga 4000s were held in some warehouse somewhere untill they could find a buyer. Unfortunately my business did not take off and had to sell the equipment a year later. What was interesting was that I sold my equipment to a resaler for almost what I paid for it because the amigas were not available. Almost all TV stations were using at least one Amiga so they were still in demand years after they were discontinued.

I am also one of those 40 year old nerds and I have about 6 computers/laptops at my house and even though I was a previous owner of Amiga, I could not see a reason to buy something like this.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]PercyP[/nom]Commodore Amigas were years ahead of their time, nothing came close, the Atari ST was a mere shadow. With dedicated hardware and a full blown WIMP OS written in C they made PC-DOS look Neanderthal. [/citation]

Why is your text grey?

Yeah, it took MS about 15 Years with WindowsXP to even equal AmigaOS, sad. Hey, I still have my A1000 and A3000s. Love them. The A3000 could boot to desktop in about 10 seconds. With a floppy on my A1000, about 1 minute. I even ran AmigaOS 3.0 on my A1000 (and on my A3000 when I got her) - it was AMAZING, AOS 2.0 was better than 1.x.. and 3.0 actually used less memory and ran faster than 1.2 on the A1000. I could run it in 16colors, but the performance wasn't worth it - so it was 8 colors.

Yes kiddies... My first GUI computer originally came with 4 colors for the desktop.

The Atari-ST was quickly thrown together. Pretty amazing considering they only had a peak at what the Amiga was... so in months, the did the case, took MAC type hardware with MAC-OS looking GUI tacked onto an "MS-DOS" class OS. So it, like DOS was limited to 8.3 file names like "GAMEGO.EXE" while Amiga and Mac has "Star Killer 2". It would be 10 years with Win95 before MS had a semi modern OS! LAME!

But, Commodore was run by morons. Nothing else. Their tech was top of the line for years. They wasted time with PC Compatibility which added lots of cost to the A2000 and 1 year later to marke (STUPID!) when they should have made their tech even better for business... like a de-interlacer rather than PC-ISA slots! And stupid C= only had the $500 A500 and the $1500~2500 A2000 (ugly brown thing). They really needed a $1000 A1000 replacement. They could have and should have destroyed Apple and hurt the PC market. In 1986, the $600 A500 blew the doors of a $1500 Mac (the little 9" B/W screen model). A BIG MAC-II was $6000 (4 bit color) to $8000 with SVGA, Hard drive, etc.

haramir

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I miss my Commodore 128 and Amiga 500 as much as the next guy, but I don't see dropping that kind of cash on aesthetics. Part of what made the systems so great were the games, and I have no idea where most of my old games are now, nor do I have a 5 1/4" drive to install them with (assuming of course that the disks are still good after all these years.)

Neat, but I'll pass, thank you.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Yeah, it took MS about 15 Years with WindowsXP to even equal AmigaOS, sad.[/citation]
Frankly, even today there's no OS out there that can even begin to touch AmigaOS from the early '90s.

Things like the 'screens' concept, datatypes and locale system, built in scripting ports, device handling and autoconfig, lightning fast task switching and true micro-kernel design remains unconquered by any contemporary OS today.

I guess the only thing that can come close would be QNX Neutrino, which is a dedicated RTOS.

Windows 7, MacOS X and the more user-friendly Linux distributions are certainly all 'good enough' as far as most usage scenarios are concerned but they are all dinousaurs in comparison to AmigaOS.

Sad but true, the platform deserved a hell of a lot more than it got.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]viometrix[/nom]lmao... in the original com[m]odore case? yay[.] another peice(sic) of s**t to turn all brownish[-]yellow no matter how well you take care of it and clean it. btw[.] i hope they fail.[/citation]

www.mayoclinic.com/health/anger-management/MY00689

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a ostrich. Yet another clone trying to cash in on the retro look of days long gone? Not seeing the good in this endeavor (Commodore). The AmigaOne X1000, however, could be interesting.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Boy, do I want one. I was sad the day I scrapped my 2000 when I had NOTHING interesting to do with it anymore. I *think* I had a working browser back around 1996 but nowadays what kind of websites would I have used with it? Popular or not, it'd be fun to relive my early C programming days...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]~~ Almost all TV stations were using at least one Amiga so they were still in demand years after they were discontinued.I am also one of those 40 year old nerds and I have about 6 computers/laptops at my house and even though I was a previous owner of Amiga, I could not see a reason to buy something like this.[/citation]

Because you bought a Video Editing Suite which included an Amiga computer. Notice that NewTek is still in business and paved the way of personal non-liner editing systems. You didn't use the Amiga as a computer.

Going to DOS/WIn3 was pure nightmare... Win3 is not an OS. WIn95 was functional, but still crap. Even Windows7, is an ugly OS underneath its pretty shiny shell - where brute CPU and memory makes it a very good OS.

Boot up an a modern Amiga OS (with functions equal to a modern PC) takes about 2~5 seconds after POST. And still, there is no SHUT-DOWN. Just turn off the computer. THAT is elegant. Something MS will never be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.