[comp30] best way to spend 200 gold

d'oh kelumen just bought the farm for the dozenth time. anyway i've
restarted enough times that i have settled on my favorite way to spend
the starting money. go to the weapon shop and buy the light xbow (50%
off), use the store service to enchant it to (+0,+1) and then go to the
general store and buy 21 bolts. then start diving!!

Murphy S.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I used to do it that way (well, without the enchanting), but then I
learned about the +5 to-hit with the sling. So now I buy a sling, a
?WoR and 42 lead shots.

Just starting my ~23rd Kelumen (sadly the hall of fame only tracks
15!). Only three of my ~22 dead Kelumens got beyond clev 8/600' (one to
16 @ 1200', one to 21 @ 1150' and one to 29 @ 2300'). I am truly
hopeless at power diving.

CC

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I used to do it that way (well, without the enchanting), but then I
> learned about the +5 to-hit with the sling. So now I buy a sling, a
> ?WoR and 42 lead shots.

I have a different take. The light xbow is too heavy, and the shots
are too heavy. Is there a longbow for sale?

I suppose before you wear any armor you can afford the weight, but
I certainly wouldn't expend any enchantment on the sling or xbow.
While they might be better for the first trip, I would not want to
risk having the longbow disappear.

Eddie

Eddie Grove wrote:
> I suppose before you wear any armor you can afford the weight...

"Before you wear any armor" should not even last until the down stairs
from town. Otherwise a floating eye can kill you. If you start with a
torch, it's easy to end up next to one. If you start with a lantern it's
slightly harder, but stepping around a corner you still risk it. Of
course, there's also fat-fingering a key, having one summoned next to
you (likely from stepping on a trap), and the fact that you probably
don't want to expend ammo on them. If you have enough AC (8-10 IIRC) and
no moving monsters are close by you can safely melee them.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

magnate wrote:
> I used to do it that way (well, without the enchanting), but then I
> learned about the +5 to-hit with the sling. So now I buy a sling, a
> ?WoR and 42 lead shots.

I'm similar, but 20 shots and some armor.

> Just starting my ~23rd Kelumen (sadly the hall of fame only tracks
> 15!). Only three of my ~22 dead Kelumens got beyond clev 8/600' (one to
> 16 @ 1200', one to 21 @ 1150' and one to 29 @ 2300'). I am truly
> hopeless at power diving.

My last one (and I must have had about 30 by now) was killed by Kelumen
the Ghost at clev 31/1800'. Current one (after a day break to cool
down) is clev 25/2000' - really trying to dive fast. 19 uniques seen, 2
killed - Lotho and Grip. At least I've made it to the life-draining
trap now :)

Nick.

On 19 Apr 2005 06:10:30 -0700, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>I used to do it that way (well, without the enchanting), but then I
>learned about the +5 to-hit with the sling. So now I buy a sling, a
>?WoR and 42 lead shots.

>Just starting my ~23rd Kelumen (sadly the hall of fame only tracks
>15!). Only three of my ~22 dead Kelumens got beyond clev 8/600' (one to
>16 @ 1200', one to 21 @ 1150' and one to 29 @ 2300'). I am truly
>hopeless at power diving.
>
>CC

I've gone through about 20 kelumen's. I now buy a sling, let it
enchant to +1, then 1 cure light wounds, and spend the rest on
ammo. I would have bought some phase doors if there were any.
The first trip down I don't take recall and go only to 150'.
With enough ammo you can it's easy enough to go deeper on
the first trip, but the problem is, that you get too much
junk that you can't identify.
The first trip I walk around until my inventory is full,
then sell everything, and then buy some equipment to go
quickly to around 500' on the second trip.

my present char is about to recall to 550' for the third trip,
I'm level 14, I've got a 2d4 dagger (blessed with ESP),
A lantern of intelligence(+1) and a (+5,+19) light crossbow
of power:). This took 96000 turns.

my best character so far was a bizarre nexus mutilated
rogue with 14 STR and 18/190 CON. (only good ring I found was
+5 CON) That one got stuck at around 2000' mainly because of
lack of killing power (still a boring sling and 1 melee attack)
I was relying heavily on traps and some attack rods, and got
killed by a double fire breat from Itanghast because I was
only (+9) hasted.

--
Wim Benthem

Wim Benthem wrote:
> my best character so far was a bizarre nexus mutilated
> rogue with 14 STR and 18/190 CON. (only good ring I found was
> +5 CON) That one got stuck at around 2000' mainly because of
> lack of killing power (still a boring sling and 1 melee attack)
> I was relying heavily on traps and some attack rods, and got
> killed by a double fire breat from Itanghast because I was
> only (+9) hasted.

With 18/190 con you should have been able to survive two double-resisted
fire breaths from Itangast, if you had full health just before the breaths.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:56:12 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Eddie Grove wrote:
>> I suppose before you wear any armor you can afford the weight...
>
>"Before you wear any armor" should not even last until the down stairs
>from town. Otherwise a floating eye can kill you. If you start with a
>torch, it's easy to end up next to one. If you start with a lantern it's
>slightly harder, but stepping around a corner you still risk it. Of
>course, there's also fat-fingering a key, having one summoned next to
>you (likely from stepping on a trap), and the fact that you probably
>don't want to expend ammo on them. If you have enough AC (8-10 IIRC) and
>no moving monsters are close by you can safely melee them.

I've had no trouble with floating eyes so far. You can see them with
infravision, and a its really unlikely that they wake up with the
stealth of an hobbit rogue. If you hit them by accident with your
1d6(0,0) small sword they will most likely survive and paralyze you,
but you should quickly get accustomed on using missiles for everything
and then it's unlikely that you hit one by accident.

in NPP you get no experience for floating eyes after you're level
2 (because you get no fractional experience), so there's indeed not
much point in trying to kill them.

--
Wim Benthem

Wim Benthem wrote:
> I've had no trouble with floating eyes so far. You can see them with
> infravision

Fat lot of good that does in this situation:

#### #####
#.. #.@e.
#@# -> #.###
#.# #.#

> in NPP you get no experience for floating eyes after you're level
> 2 (because you get no fractional experience), so there's indeed not
> much point in trying to kill them.

Other than to remove the damned thing from blocking your path? If it's
in a room you can ignore it, but if it's in a corridor with no easy way
around...

"Wim Benthem" <wbenthem@wxs.nl> wrote in message

> in NPP you get no experience for floating eyes after you're level
> 2 (because you get no fractional experience), so there's indeed not
> much point in trying to kill them.

I have not changed this from Vanilla. You should still get fractional
experience. Is there a bug I am not aware of?

--
-Jeff

replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply

Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:47:28 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Wim Benthem wrote:
>> I've had no trouble with floating eyes so far. You can see them with
>> infravision
>
>Fat lot of good that does in this situation:
>
>#### #####
>#.. #.@e.
>#@# -> #.###
>#.# #.#

Hi Neo,

Then don't cut the corner.

#### ####
#.. #@.e
#@# -> #.##
#.# #.#

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> Then don't cut the corner.
>
> #### ####
> #.. #@.e
> #@# -> #.##
> #.# #.#

Everyone does, out of habit and to save keystrokes. Besides, we're
talking about a contest char here aren't we? Turncount counts,
especially before one's first speed item.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:04:21 -0400, Twisted One wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>> Then don't cut the corner.
>>
>> #### ####
>> #.. #@.e
>> #@# -> #.##
>> #.# #.#
>
>Everyone does, out of habit and to save keystrokes.

Hi Neo,

Yep, I know. Laziness and clinging to habits are two of the major
killers in all *bands.

> Besides, we're
>talking about a contest char here aren't we? Turncount counts,
>especially before one's first speed item.

Yes. So the competition entrants can decide for themselves: play safe
ald slow, or take risks and go fast.

Since we're talking about the first trip to the dungeon, there's not
much reason to play safe. Sure, you can get killed. So what? It's not as
if you've lost many hours of your time, right? Just make aa fresh copy
of the competition savefile and start over.

Once you have the first few trips to the dungeon behind you, then it's
time to really make the hard choice: play to win the competition (i.e.
diving), but with a high chance of death, or play to get to Morgoth, but
be sure to end way down in the competition.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:21:45 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
<nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

>"Wim Benthem" <wbenthem@wxs.nl> wrote in message
>

>> in NPP you get no experience for floating eyes after you're level
>> 2 (because you get no fractional experience), so there's indeed not
>> much point in trying to kill them.
>>
>I have not changed this from Vanilla. You should still get fractional
>experience. Is there a bug I am not aware of?

I just killed 500 white mice with a level 2 warrior, and got no EXP at
all. It says in the monster memory that I should get 0.50

--
Wim Benthem

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:21:45 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
> <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:
>

> >"Wim Benthem" <wbenthem@wxs.nl> wrote in message
> >

> >> in NPP you get no experience for floating eyes after you're level
> >> 2 (because you get no fractional experience), so there's indeed not
> >> much point in trying to kill them.
> >>
> >I have not changed this from Vanilla. You should still get fractional
> >experience. Is there a bug I am not aware of?
>
> I just killed 500 white mice with a level 2 warrior, and got no EXP at
> all. It says in the monster memory that I should get 0.50

You are right. I did mess it up. Fortunately it is only fractional
experience. You will sometimes get too much fractional experience as well,
so it evens out. It's fixed for 050.

-Jeff

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 06:24:21 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
<nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

>"Wim Benthem" <wbenthem@wxs.nl> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:21:45 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
>> <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:
>>

>> >"Wim Benthem" <wbenthem@wxs.nl> wrote in message

>> >I have not changed this from Vanilla. You should still get fractional
>> >experience. Is there a bug I am not aware of?
>>
>> I just killed 500 white mice with a level 2 warrior, and got no EXP at
>> all. It says in the monster memory that I should get 0.50
>>
>You are right. I did mess it up. Fortunately it is only fractional
>experience. You will sometimes get too much fractional experience as well,
>so it evens out. It's fixed for 050.
>
>-Jeff

At the moment the experience is always rounded down. In a complete
game it won't be more than a few thousand XP compared to a total of
millions, but it does discourage playing careful and gaining a few
levels at level 1, or farming white worms, so maybe you should keep it
in :)

--
Wim Benthem

Wim Benthem wrote:
> ...it does discourage playing careful ... so maybe you should keep it
> in :)

Sadist.

Eddie Grove wrote:
[gratuitous insulting followup to a days-old post deleted]

Eh? What provoked this? Oh, of course -- nothing. :p