Compact flash going away?

jay

I'm in the market for a new digi cam and I've noticed that only Canon seems
to be still using compact flash memory. Then new Nikons (3200,4200,5200)
are using SD cards. Pentax and Minolta are SD caards. Olympus and Fuji
dropped SmartMedia for xD.... Even the Canon SD10 has moved to SD
cards....Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to
move away from it?

Side note: Any opinions on the new Nikons? 3200 has been out for a month or
so, the 5200 just this past week and 4200 coming soon.

--Jay

On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:40:32 -0500, "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm in the market for a new digi cam and I've noticed that only Canon seems
>to be still using compact flash memory. Then new Nikons (3200,4200,5200)
>are using SD cards. Pentax and Minolta are SD caards. Olympus and Fuji
>dropped SmartMedia for xD.... Even the Canon SD10 has moved to SD
>cards....Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to
>move away from it?

Probably because CF cards are bigger than all other cards and
customers liked to have as small as possible for easy carrying.
Personally I think it's a bad idea. Drop a SD card in a shag rug and
it'd probably be lost forever. I haven't seen miniSD yet.

CF is also available in sizes up to 8GB, which no other card has
reached yet. I'm glad they dropped SM because it's limited to 128 and
there's no next version plus SM cards seems more prone to failure than
any other cards.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

In alt.comp.periphs.dcameras, jay wrote:
> Is Campact flash going away or why are camera makers seeming to move
> away from it?

It does seem that all the smaller compact cameras use one of the smaller
types of memory -- they really are a lot smaller than compact flash
cards. CF is definitelly not going to go away, though -- all the
larger, more professional camera's (the 'big 5' 8MP camera's, the two
'affordable' SLR's from Canon and Nikon), and off course all the really
professional SLR camera's, all use CF. CF is going to stay with us for
a long time.

Why? Well, it's just a question of the market segement. In more
professional camera's, size matters less, and CF has some advantages:
it's cheaper, and scales up a lot higher -- up to 8 GB now, and bigger
Microdrives are probably underway. Also the CF standard seems to me to
be a bit more flexible than the other standards: there is more
differentiation in for instance speeds of cards than there is in other
memory types. This makes CF very robust when it comes to staying with
us in the future.

Jan

8GB....nice! They should be able to put rental movies on them very nicely.
DVDs are only 4.7GB

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:21:19 -0400, "Gymmy Bob" <NoThanx@spammie.com>
wrote:

>8GB....nice! They should be able to put rental movies on them very nicely.
>DVDs are only 4.7GB

I'm already ahead of you. I have Return of the King DVD on CF card
for my GBA Movie Player. Ok 240x160 screen isn't big but it sure
beats a $300 battery powered portable DVD player. ;-)
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

Commercial DVDs are usually dual layer...4.3gb + 4.3gb, so it won't quite
fit.

www.coribright.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:03:16 GMT, "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
wrote:

>Commercial DVDs are usually dual layer...4.3gb + 4.3gb, so it won't quite
>fit.

True but most movies don't use every single byte of the DVD.
Typically it's about 2 hours per layer and even with long movies like
Return of the King (3.5 hours or around 7GB total) can still fit a
single CF card in DVD quality.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net