Compaq Computer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Thanks Lawson!!! Your intelligence bewilders me.....

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have been reading this and laughing a bit, but I do have to say that I think this thread is the most perverted we have ever had here. It's just plain mean at this point. I don't see the sense in it anymore. You guys are all bashing the crap out of each other over something that is all opinion. Zanther has already admitted 150 times that Compaq is for beginers where as an advanced user should build his own machine. What more can you possible want from the guy? We all know that EVERY Oem does exactly the same thing...put the cheapest components in to get the best performance possible. Even Dell with all it's glory has a proprietary motherboard, case, and powersupply. I don't know about you guys, but that alone makes it very difficult to upgrade the box without buying a new case. Compaq is no different and everyone I know who owns one has had no problems with it lasting for many years. I myself cringe when I have to work with their machines, but that's not what it was bought for.

Just end this thread, it's gone too far. Way too far.

Obviously you have no life either if you are here reading my posts.

Soz but you said it not me. If I have no life for reading it - what do you have for writing that BS.
Enjoy

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Hardware Central Rules
<A HREF="mailto: techie2000@supanet.com "> techie2000@supanet.com </A>

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Not True!

Dell and Gateway computers don´t use crappy material like Compaq´s does!

Learn from other´s mistakes!
You won´t live to make them all by yourself! :-D

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, I don't know. I've heard some horror stories about both Gateway and Dell about both proprietary components and poor quality components. Admittedly, Dell's laptops seem to be top notch at least.

Granted, as far as horror stories go, I've heard a LOT more about Packard Hell and Compaq than any other company. Heck, as far as system failures go, I've heard more Compaq horror stories than all other OEMs combined. And as far as proprietary and cheap arsed components go, Packard Hell takes the cake.

Granted, this is just me in my little neck of the woods. Maybe somewhere else the ratios are different. However, since I have friends and relatives who deal with this on a regular basis in Wisconsin, Illinois, South Carolina, Washington DC, and Alabama, well, it's a pretty good area coverage.

I will agree that consumers should educate themselves before looking for a new computer. If they just aren't smart enough to, they should at least bring along a friend/family member who IS educated on computers and can really push a salesperson to their limits of knowledge.

That said, it still should be the salesperson's job to find the best computer for the needs of their customer. Not to rip them off. I think Radio Shack is probably the worst example of this I've ever seen. I've never heard more lies, deciet, and pushing things that people don't need than I have walking through Radio Shack. Newbies, avoid that place like the plague.

Tech support from Compaq, well, of all major OEMs, I've heard of the worst stories about them. Strangely enough, usually they deal with either CD ROMs or modems. [shrug] Go figure. When it's a CD ROM issue, you have to hassle them constantly for a replacement. When it's a modem issue, good luck ever getting a driver that works. Strangely, I've heard of this from friends and family for years. I almost felt like I was home hearing the same things in this thread.

So while I agree that someone in the market for a new computer but not knowledgeable on how to fix them should go for a major OEM, of all OEMs Compaq and Packard Hell are the last two I'd EVER suggest to people. I'd say go with Dell. Maybe there will be upgrade problems, but if you're an unknowledged person looking for a new computer, you're not likely to be worried about upgrading anyway. Gateway is okay-ish. They're a lot more talk and hype than reality though. Maybe they used to be a much better company when they were smaller, but now they're no better than any other major OEM.

And if you're a skilled PC technician, put a bloody system together yourself. It's cheaper, you always get exactly what you want, if you go retail on all parts then everything has a long standing warantee (if you're not overclocking that is), and you don't have to worry about killing your warantee for messing around trying to fix it on your own. Plus you always know exactly what is in there and hence what drivers to get and where to get them.

And ZaNtHeR, if you can say ONE SINGLE good thing about Compaq <i>other</i> than they look wiz or that the company is no worse than any other major OEM, I'd like to hear it, preferably without pointless flaming of course. :)

-THG isn't AMD biased. They just turn Intel mobo reviews into AMD vs. Intel debates for fun. Yeah.

Here's the latest leaked email from Michael Capellas to the staff at Compaq. Cutting through the craps that CEOs write, it says "4000 staff, clean out your desks and get the hell out!"