Compaq Deskpro EP 6400 will not boot

Hello,

my PC will not boot.

It seemed to be that the CMOS can not be loaded, so the LED on the keyboard
is flashing.

I have deleted the CMOS and have changed the battery, but nothing changed.
Also the light of the floppy drive is not flashing, so I can not load an ROM
with an floppy..

any idea ??

thanks...

Lars

"Kevin Childers" <kchilder@mail.win.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Lars Lumberti" <anton@yahoo.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> my PC will not boot.
>>
>> It seemed to be that the CMOS can not be loaded, so the LED on the
> keyboard
>> is flashing.
>>
>> I have deleted the CMOS and have changed the battery, but nothing
>> changed.
>> Also the light of the floppy drive is not flashing, so I can not load an
> ROM
>> with an floppy..
>>
>> any idea ??
>>
>> thanks...
>>
>> Lars
>>
> Deleted or reset? The former is catastrophic, while the later is
> standard procedure for some problems. If you have an older Compaq with
> the
> BIOS info stored in a non-DOS partition on the hard drive, you will need
> download the correct BIOS data to a floppy and boot from it to restore
> your
> PC. If you lost the partition due to a hard drive error/bad sectors, you
> may need to replace the hard drive. Please read the COMPAQ FAQ below for
> more info and links to the appropriate websites.

Hello,

thanks for the information...

the BIOS is not on the hard disk, I have used an non-Compaq hard disk since
a long time;
I have reset the BIOS...

I have an floppy with the correct BIOS, but the PC did not use the floppy,
the PC died before, so the problem must happend before.

The documentation tells me there is an Fail-Safe Boot Block what will be
used if the ROM information are not OK, so I think there is an problem with
this information or the whole area is for some reason defect, might be the
CMOS memory is defect or something like this

Any idea how to measure this, schematics avaiable for the motherboard ?

Lars

> "Kevin Childers" <kchilder@mail.win.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > "Lars Lumberti" <anton@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> my PC will not boot.
> >>
> >> It seemed to be that the CMOS can not be loaded, so the LED on the
> > keyboard
> >> is flashing.
> >>
> >> I have deleted the CMOS and have changed the battery, but nothing
> >> changed.
> >> Also the light of the floppy drive is not flashing, so I can not load
an
> > ROM
> >> with an floppy..
> >>
> >> any idea ??
> >>
> >> thanks...
> >>
> >> Lars
> >>
> > Deleted or reset? The former is catastrophic, while the later is
> > standard procedure for some problems. If you have an older Compaq with
> > the
> > BIOS info stored in a non-DOS partition on the hard drive, you will need
> > download the correct BIOS data to a floppy and boot from it to restore
> > your
> > PC. If you lost the partition due to a hard drive error/bad sectors,
you
> > may need to replace the hard drive. Please read the COMPAQ FAQ below
for
> > more info and links to the appropriate websites.
> >

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the information...
>
> the BIOS is not on the hard disk, I have used an non-Compaq hard disk
since
> a long time;
> I have reset the BIOS...
>
> I have an floppy with the correct BIOS, but the PC did not use the floppy,
> the PC died before, so the problem must happend before.
>
> The documentation tells me there is an Fail-Safe Boot Block what will be
> used if the ROM information are not OK, so I think there is an problem
with
> this information or the whole area is for some reason defect, might be the
> CMOS memory is defect or something like this
>
> Any idea how to measure this, schematics avaiable for the motherboard ?
>
> Lars

Try this link for the latest updates:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/locate/20_127.html

If that doesn't help, check the Compaq FAQ posted here and/or see uf one
of the other posters can give you some more indepth help.

KC

gotcha

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003