Compaq Presario R3000 power cord issue

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

you can buy laptop battery at http://www.adapterlist.com/ in usa.also you can buy one at http://www.batterygoshop.co.uk in uk.

lionswimmer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
[quotemsg=141228,39,95908]hey thanks or all the help. I have spoken with HP/Compaq and they have refused to take responsability for the defect.

I am in lawschool, and this little defect has caused my computer to shut off during two separate final exams. I am doing the initial research for a class action suit against HP/Compaq, and am gathering information from people who have had this problem, or who know someone with this problem.

If any of you are interested in participating in the class, please email me at compaq.class_action@yahoo.com[/quotemsg]

Dear Heidispapi,

Am typing this email with one hand while holding power cord in place.

Please include me in the class action suit.=A0 I was in paralegal school wh=
ile my computer continued to crash due to this problem.=A0 My brother-in-la=
w has already soldered it once, and now, the problem is occurring again 7 m=
oths later.

Thanks,

Anne Taylor Burton
U.S. 310-508-6659

tlc3cables

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
NEW DESIGN!!!

Simple new solution to the Compaq Presario power jack issue with a new adaptor that utilizes the expansion port can be found here on our website:

http://www.presarioportpower.com/

Or on eBay:

http://myworld.ebay.com/tlc3cables/

OR visit tlc3cables on youtube: NEW VIDEO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ACiFxJPfQ

tlc3cables is very happy to announce the introduction of a new and completely redesigned adaptor for the r3000 expansion port problem. The new adaptor is vastly improved in both quality and stability. Come visit our website and watch the newest youtube video of this product.
Thanks!

t rev

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
thanks for all the advice here, I decided to not tear mine apart and just make a home made jumper cable to the expansion port. I used a small piece of speaker wire, two small nails and some electrical tape.
It's fixed and it cost me $0.00. :pt1cable: :wahoo: :hello:

presario r3000 user

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
BEFORE TAKING YOUR LAPTOP APART, TRY AN iGO POWER SUPPLY OR EQUIVALENT, SAVE YOUR RECEIPT IF IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM

I have had the same exact annoying problem. My laptop was not charging with the power cord plugged in unless I got lucky. My problem was described exactly on this thread so I tried to take my laptop apart to confirm if the power unit required soldering. I got stuck taking it apart so I tried to take it to a repair shop only to be quoted $100-400. So I tried the simple solution before taking the plunge, I bought an iGO power supply. It fits better than the original power cord ever did and works perfectly.

SO BEFORE PERFORMING INVASIVE SURGERY - confirm that the problem cannot be solved by an easier solution. I believe the compaq power supplys are not well designed. It did set me back $100 but I did not completely destroy my computer in the process.

r3000guy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hi,

I have had my r3000 for some years and I run linux on it with great success. Now it only powers up for a couple of seconds and the port on the site seems not to function. I only have about 10 mins charge on the battery and that works ok. I was wondering if you found the answer to your question about the battery pins and if you have a solution. Thanks.

[quotemsg=143985,456,174064]I posted this note back in 2008, now I have to try again: maybe someone can help.
I am editing this message in hopes that SOMEONE might try to read the voltages present at the pins on the battery connector, maybe by running with no battery, and using a digital voltmeter to read the voltage present on the pins. I am trying to find which pin the charging voltage should appear on; I would expect it to be in the +15 volt range.....and also what pin is ground. As I have indicated below, my problem was the same as everyone else's (basically in this whole thread), but after resoldering the power connector, my laptop works flawlessly on AC power, but I have no "lightning bolt" on, and the battery shows no charge.

I would be very grateful if someone could post their findings from a WORKING Compaq R3000.

Thanks to all!

Could someone please tell me the pin layout for the battery connector in the Presario R3000?
Like so many other people, I have had to repair the power connector problem on my machine. I would certainly like to thank everyone who posted their experiences on this problem on this forum for the benefit of others. I am an ex telecom worker, so I do computer repair as a hobby/sideline while semi-retired.
The dismantling, soldering of the loose power cord connector went very well ( I did it about a year ago), but I do not get a charge light on the front of the machine; and it won't run at ALL on the battery. ( I have NO idea of the condition of the battery), so I'd like to first of all determine if charging voltage is where is should be on the connector. I do have 19.89 Volts present on the expansion bay contacts.

I have also had a very intermittent problem of losing the wireless feature on the R3000. The cause is the contact strip that connects the motherboard to the small circuit board containing the sound and wireless buttons. I think I have solved that one by removing the motherboard, and also the small "audio and wireless button board"...and then placing about a .005 thickness washer on each of the 2 standoffs and reinstalling the small card. The purpose of the washers is to slightly elevate the card to make the contact much firmer with the motherboard when it is screwed down. Doing this does not interfere with the operation of the various buttons. ( examine the soldering on the small card while you can: I touched up several bad (cold) joints on it as well, but the wireless ones were ok). So far, so good; I have not lost the wireless since that operation.

As an ex Telecom tech here in Alberta, HP test gear used to really GOOD equipment. That was back then; this is NOW. I am having to deal with all manner of HP screw-ups, especially in their all in one printer BLOATED software. I used to recommend HP hardware, but now I am not so sure. GEE, I wonder if letting "off-shore" companies produce almost EVERYTHING we NEED is such a smart idea??? Better not get into the politics of THAT one....
Thanks agin....GREAT forum!!![/quotemsg]

gquiel

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
So I have recently been reading all the threads on this R3000 problem and am starting to realize that I am not the only one with this issue. Before I even got on this site, I noticed that the DC Jack was the problem and when I opened the laptop, I saw the problem everyone here has been describing. I resoldered the connections and they are all a nice, smooth, shiny solder, but now it seeems that the problem has worsened. Whenever I do get it to charge (after much fandanglement of the cord), it will only charge for a few seconds and then go away. Any ideas? The laptop does boot up, but loses power after a few seconds...

I apologize if this isnt in the right place, I've never used a forum before...

G

For those who aren't able to soder or don't want to send it in for repairs:
I have the same described issue with my laptop. However, I found that sitting it on one flat surface where it is convenient for use but out of the way, it works great. This isn't very helpful for those who travel but hopefully it's useful for somebody out there. It may be a little difficult at first but you almost have to train it to work with you and to stay connected. The first thing I did was closed it right after turning it on, (I was frustrated with it shutting down 2 seconds after booting it up), and left it plugged in, even after a few days' charging. I left it like that for a day and overnight, (you may not have to do it as long if your cpu isn't as bad as mine was). Eventually, my laptop began to stop disconnecting and now, my laptop stays on most of the day and it doesn't have a connection problem as long as the laptop stays in one place. So yeah, hopefully this helps someone! God bless ya'll!

Bethany

P.S. Jesus loves you! <3 :D

G

I am having the same issue with my compaq v6000. I was told my ac adaptor and the motherboard have become disconnected from each other. ihave gone through several cords thinking that was the issue but Ive learned different and now Im very upset.

G

Use your head! What other solution would there be? Ducktape? Superglue? come on man. Send it in and get it fixed. What kind of question is that? People nowadays holy hell!!

sbn

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
Hoping some still read this thread. I have a R3240US model, in fact we have 3 of them. One still works fine. The second one had the issue where the power would shut off/stop re-charging of the battery. The third one is a perplexing one. This unit shuts off whether a good battery or not is in.

Now after reading this issue on several sites, I see the common comment that the problem resides in the AC jack not connected well to the mobo, and that the effect is the laptop will shut off (if no battery is in) or switch to battery. However, what to do when this is not the case?

I have swapped out from other working ones the following: CPU, keyboard, LCD, memory, drives, reapplied thermal paste, swapped batteries to fully charged, swapped AC units, and a few others. The only thing I have not done is swapped the motherboard.

The machine works, in fact sometimes I can get it running for hours, other times 10 seconds. It is completely random, with no pattern. If it was a constant (say always after 10 minutes or an hour) I would think maybe this is heat related, bad memory? Although I must say I have come across a hell of a lot of computers over the years and never seen a system completely shut off instantaneously for any other reason other than a bad power supply (this is was Compaq DL380 that was solved with a new power unit).

So.....if I have this common problem of the Power Jack being poorly attached, then why would this shut off with a battery in?

todde7

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[quotemsg=141084,6,67815]Ok;

Confirmed that it is the plug on the motherboard.

I opened up and resoldered the middle pin to the mother board and everything is fine now.

Brett[/quotemsg]
what type of solder did you use?

tristang

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[quotemsg=147057,484,355101]thanks for all the advice here, I decided to not tear mine apart and just make a home made jumper cable to the expansion port. I used a small piece of speaker wire, two small nails and some electrical tape.
It's fixed and it cost me $0.00. :pt1cable: :wahoo: :hello:[/quotemsg]

I read all 10 pages and HAVE to say... you win! (minus the nails)

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/image08072010174318.jpg/
http://img245.imageshack.us/i/image08072010175128.jpg/
http://img203.imageshack.us/i/image08072010181855.jpg/

thank tha rev!

now the compaq will be a slave under the TV for music/videos/web so I don't really care what the cord looks like!

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3863/image08072010185536.jpg

total time laptop worked without issues... 2 years...
total time laptop was a PAIN 4 years...
total time researching cord/motherboard problem over the years 2 weeks
total time playing with the cord, shoving it in, taping it in, crimping it in ... 100+ hours
total time to do this fix ... 5 minutes... :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS