Comparative Component Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

apaige

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Still no update on the erroneous Sandra memory bandwidth benchmarks.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/617/1/

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
forgot to add, please add a clear button for the charts, it is annoying removing the clutter 1 by 1 so i can only have the 3 cards i am interested in on the list

also please sort the list of videocards. they seem to be randomly placed and that makes then annoying to find the card I want

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
it takes time to do the reviews. they have to do multiple tests, that also have to make sure the specs of the computers are the same so the videocard is the only thing changing

so they could end up redoing the full range of test with every videocard in that list. it will take a while

NateDawg80126

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I see a few of the newer ATI cards but whats the deal with none of the 9800 cards?!??? You have benched them so why are they not on the chart?

satanpro

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Old cards benched on old games like Prey and Oblivion... this chart is completely irrelevant to current customers. In addition, you can't even sort the results by performance, and it's hard to select the cards in the poorly designed pulldown menu. Best not to even spend more time on it. You've made the old outdated charts even worse than they were.

SgtBilko

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Well quite frankly I can't see any `new design`that you're talking about.
All I can see is a rehash of the old UK charts design. Which to my amazment you have managed to make wosre by having SLI and CF results included in the ´Desktop VGA Charts` so why bother having a ´Dual and Quad VGA Charts`at all? Oh...I should'nt have said that! Just keep the singles charts for the single cards.
To make matters even worse in the intro you talk about ´the new DirectX 10 Gforce 8800 GT`. That card is over...over 6 months old and there are many newer and better cards out there but they're not on your charts.
You also mention your benchmarks, Battlefield 2142 to name but one.
Have you never heard of COD4, Company of Heroes or MOH-Airborne to name three more recent and more relevant games to use as benchmarks in todays marketplace. Finally if yo think ´Trust me, we're working on a bunch of fixes`cuts it, then you're in the wrong job M8............

randomizer

Champion
Oblivion is still relatively taxing on lower-midrange cards at high resolutions (and the charts are not just for 1337 rich kids), but it's getting out-dated now I agree. BF2142 is not particularly taxing on anything but the oldest or lowest-end cards.

mindfields

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
missing CPUs:
Phenom 9850BE
Intel Q9xxx, E7xxx

lot of newer GPUs have been tested by them yet they didnt bother to update these charts

frodbonzi

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
You guys have a lot of nerve calling this chart updated... Scrap it... you still don't even have ANY 9 series nVidia cards... and the 10 series comes out in a couple weeks!!

You also don't have any of the 45nm CPUs... let me guess, you intend to put them in by the time Nehalem comes out??

Shame on Toms for this lackluster effort!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]SgtBilko[/nom]Well quite frankly I can't see any `new design`that you're talking about.All I can see is a rehash of the old UK charts design. Which to my amazment you have managed to make wosre by having SLI and CF results included in the ´Desktop VGA Charts` so why bother having a ´Dual and Quad VGA Charts`at all? Oh...I should'nt have said that! Just keep the singles charts for the single cards.To make matters even worse in the intro you talk about ´the new DirectX 10 Gforce 8800 GT`. That card is over...over 6 months old and there are many newer and better cards out there but they're not on your charts.You also mention your benchmarks, Battlefield 2142 to name but one.Have you never heard of COD4, Company of Heroes or MOH-Airborne to name three more recent and more relevant games to use as benchmarks in todays marketplace. Finally if yo think ´Trust me, we're working on a bunch of fixes`cuts it, then you're in the wrong job M8............ [/citation]

Adding a new game is not that easy. the benchmarks take time and they are run multiple times for each card and the fastest is added into the charts.

The test have to be done with every single card in the list

It is a lot of work, and they have to pick games that every card can run , if not, you wine up with some of the other benchmarks where they show 6800 getting 30 FPS and the 6200 getting 0

the 6800 is not 30 times faster

You need benchmarks that are both demanding and able to be run on every card in the list. COD4 will not do this, neither will crysis or many other games

bf2142 is similar to battlefield 2 jut with a little harder to run.

Every other game you showed aren't even supported by half of the cards.

But I do agree, the sli has to go. the chart should only have single cards, theres a separate chart for dual and quad

while it is good to add new benchmarks into the mix, we also have to make sure that that all of the cards in the list can run the game or we will defeat the purpose of the overall score, anyone who has dealt with grades in school knows that you can kiss your GPA goodbye if you get a 0 averaged into your grade

randomizer

Champion
It takes me about an hour to do a couple of cysis runs on a single card at different resolutions (both DX9 and DX10) and only one IQ level. That means 4 hours for all four IQ levels, maybe 6 hours if I do a wider range of resolutions. Then I have to do it for... I don't want to count them all... number of cards. Then I have to do it all again for another 15 or so other benchmarks, especially the newly added ones. Time consuming, yes. Should it have taken this long for people who get paid for this? Probably not.

Seriously though, stop complaining, you don't pay for this "service" so IMO Tom's can take as long as they want. It's their loss or their gain. If you want all this done so badly then send Barry an email and get yourself signed up for the job and put in the hours.

SgtBilko

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
razor512 I think you're missing the point of the charts.
Like any chart there always come new models and the older models are removed to make room. It's called updating.
The same with benchmarks, there is no point in benchmarking a brand new top of the range graphic card on a game that a middle range 3 yr old card could run on. It gives no meaning, you might as well argue that onboard graphics should also be included.
The charts are primarily used to guage your present card against the rest.
ie. Do I need to upgrade.
These charts are used by gamers, and as a fellow gamer I need something relivant to todays games and graphic cards.
I want to know if it's worth my while upgrading GPU or CPU for that matter.
After 6 months I still can't see what my Nvidia 8800 GTS 512MB card is capable of if I look at these charts but I can see what a 7300 GS is not capable of with a dismal overall games fps of only 271.
Just my humble opinion.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
yep but it is still good to keep the older cards so users will be able to gage the performance increase from model to model. it is like how the weather has a chart that extends back over 200 years

also, there still people with those cards and they will complain if there card it removed :)

and they don't set deadlines for finishing the charts.

the workers at tomshardware won't be too useful to us if they all decide to go postal at the same time due to all the benchmarking :) jk

and it seems that they only have cards in the list that are still being sold by some stores either because there popular or because there trying to get rid of the left over cards and the toms hardware charts is a good place for people to see that that extremely discounted card was discounted for a reason

benrandolph

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Think its a good start, but it needs some work. Maybe a couple newer games to bench. (I know its hard to find ones that are compatible with all cards.)

I like being able to compare single graphics cards to SLI/x-fire, but not all the time. Maybe make it optional to include them.

Also, when you remove an element, it doesnt get re-sorted, just stacked on the list in order of removal. This should be changed.

Madset

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I used to like the way you could compare two specific models in the older chart. I really miss that feature because if you put all the cards you get confused whit a lot of info. Its really necesary the clear buttom if you only need info of two or three cards at time.

This tool had been very useful for me (I am a reseller of hardware in my country) but could be better if you update the info whit the new games. A lot of my customers buy new hardware for play in new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.