[SOLVED] Compatability

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
Is blueberry psb520's power supply sufficient for rx 480 I i3 2120 I 8gb ddr3 1333. When I used that power with rx 560 4gb i3 2120 and 4gb ddr3 1333 ram I had very big fps drops in minecraft (from 200 to 10 fps), I have tome to get anything else to test, I thought it was up to the GPU and processor bottlneck but I saw that the configurations on youtube with i3 And the rx 560 works well so I thought if it wasn't psu or maybe a little of ram, slow hard drive or mobo? What do you think? This is the pc I want to upgrade with rx 480 and 4gb more: https://www.computers.rs/artikal/smart-box-n3012-i32120h614g750gdvdrw

Solution
Agreeing with @NightHawkRMX here.

Your PSU is not a 520W unit... +12V rail power output is 168W.

WFsRPtF.jpg

Don't mind me, just wanted to add some PSU horror factor to my message.

You can basically call your PSU a 168W unit... the RX 480 power consumption spikes up to 160W, so that "power supply" won't even be able to power the GPU, let alone the whole system. Don't even attempt getting that RX480 near your cureent PSU, it's a ticking bomb.

Just get yourself a decent quality 450W unit, 550W being ideal. A cheap option would be the Corsair CXM series.
80+ certification is something a PSU has to determine its efficiency. Although it has nothing to do with quality, pretty much all good PSUs have some form of 80+ efficiency, which your unit does not have.

Whether it is the problem or not, it will be a problem eventually if the unit fails.

Your 4gb ram is probably the issue. The I3 should be fine with Minecraft, although its not a particularly powerfull CPU.

WFsRPtF.jpg

You can basically call your PSU a 168W unit... the RX 480 power consumption spikes up to 160W, so that "power supply" won't even be able to power the GPU, let alone the whole system. Don't even attempt getting that RX480 near your cureent PSU, it's a ticking bomb.

Just get yourself a decent quality 450W unit, 550W being ideal. A cheap option would be the Corsair CXM series.

Last edited:
Solution

You can basically call your PSU a 168W unit... the RX 480 power consumption spikes up to 160W, so that "power supply" won't even be able to power the GPU, let alone the whole system.

Ouch, I didn't even see that.

No way would I ever run that PSU with an RX480. I am actually surprised that the system booted and hasn't failed yet.

In fact I would shut the PC down, and remove the RX480, then reboot on the IGPU. Its safer that way.

Reactions: ChumP

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
That PSU is from a brand I never have heard of and isn't even 80+.

I would definitely not trust that PSU with an RX480, which can draw a lot of power from personal experience.

Thank you you helpd a lot

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019

WFsRPtF.jpg

My friend claims this psu could supply enough power to all components so they dont lack power , he says that psu is only unsafe for the other components but that it could power themto 100%

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
That friend is incorrect.

The PSU outputs 168 watts effectively. Your GPU alone will draw that, and the rest of your components will make this number much higher.

The PSU is severely overloaded. And low-quality PSU+overload=bad time.
He says that there are multiple cables on the side of the psu and that from every cable can come 100 150w and that that psu can power all components 100%

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
That friend is incorrect.

The PSU outputs 168 watts effectively. Your GPU alone will draw that, and the rest of your components will make this number much higher.

The PSU is severely overloaded. And low-quality PSU+overload=bad time.
He also said that you are wrong since you asumed that, rx 480 will always use 160w, he said that it uses only 20w when playing minecraft and that it will rarely use 160w

He says that there are multiple cables on the side of the psu and that from every cable can come 100 150w and that that psu can power all components 100%

He's wrong unfortunately... the PSU may have the appropriate cables for all of your components, but the PSU is not capable of sustaining a RX 480, period. It was used in the Pentium 4 era goddammit.... it's ancient.

Your power supply provides more power on the +3.3V and +5V... those rails were used much more when pentium CPUs were at their peak(2000s). Nowadays components draw most of their power from the +12V rail... 168W on the +12V by any standards is terrible... especially when you try to run a RX 480.

When that blueberry PSU fails and takes your RX 480 with it, I think you'll understand why we are recommending against it so. much... heck it might catch fire too. That PSU doesn't have the appropriate protections to shutdown safely under critical conditions.
Also, price wise that $5 power supply might end up taking your $100 RX 480 to the trash too... that doesn't sound like fun right?

You don't have to listen to us, at the end of the day we're only giving advice from our personal experience... it's your choice if you want to follow it or not.

Read the article below on the RX 480 power consumption, show it to your friend too:

RX 480 Power Consumption

Last edited:
No, that's not at all how a power supply works. Each cable doesn't exactly have an exact wattage it can supply. Each cable individually can supply as much as your PSU can muster and as much as the wire gauge can handle.

Every cable is wired into the same outputs of the PSU. 12v is what modern parts use, so ill use that to explain. Your 12v output can supply 168w. If you load 2 cables each with 75w on the 12v pin, the unit will theoretically be fine, although there are other factors into play.

However, if you load 2 cables with 150w each on the 12v pin, you have now have overloaded your PSU as you are now drawing 300w combined from the 12v output that is only rated for 168w. Bad bad idea.

He also said that you are wrong since you asumed that, rx 480 will always use 160w, he said that it uses only 20w when playing minecraft and that it will rarely use 160w
It will use more than 20w in Minecraft, but surely not 160w. However, if your PSU cannot support your PC under load, you need a new one.

And yes, an RX480 will use 160w. In fact, I own an RX480, and ill prove it to you.

Just running a typical game i play, my Sapphire Nitro RX480 is drawing 140w. This with the card in quiet mode.

https://ibb.co/r3PhXXp

If I flip the switch to make my card run at its high-performance mode and then run a benchmark it can draw 190w. I have seen this card go over 200w with an overclock.

https://ibb.co/b7kxxRb

Don't want to believe me, believe amd

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-480

AMD website says it will draw 150w.

So, does your friend know more than the people that engineered and designed the card?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChumP

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
No, that's not at all how a power supply works. Each cable doesn't exactly have an exact wattage it can supply. Each cable individually can supply as much as your PSU can muster and as much as the wire gauge can handle.

Every cable is wired into the same outputs of the PSU. 12v is what modern parts use, so ill use that to explain. Your 12v output can supply 168w. If you load 2 cables each with 75w on the 12v pin, the unit will theoretically be fine, although there are other factors into play.

However, if you load 2 cables with 150w each on the 12v pin, you have now have overloaded your PSU as you are now drawing 300w combined from the 12v output that is only rated for 168w. Bad bad idea.

It will use more than 20w in Minecraft, but surely not 160w. However, if your PSU cannot support your PC under load, you need a new one.

And yes, an RX480 will use 160w. In fact, I own an RX480, and ill prove it to you.

Just running a typical game i play, my Sapphire Nitro RX480 is drawing 140w. This with the card in quiet mode.

https://ibb.co/r3PhXXp

If I flip the switch to make my card run at its high-performance mode and then run a benchmark it can draw 190w. I have seen this card go over 200w with an overclock.

https://ibb.co/b7kxxRb

Don't want to believe me, believe amd

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-480

AMD website says it will draw 150w.

So, does your friend know more than the people that engineered and designed the card?
[/QUOTE
He said that amd wrote thqat only to ensure themselves against lawsuits if an gpu breaks after usage with weaker
Psu

Tejama

Prominent
Oct 2, 2019
If anything amd underrated the rx480s power requirements. There have been issues with melted 6 pins from oc cards drawing too much power.

We have explained several times the psu is insufficient.
Thanks for answering.
one more, question, so that psu will be able to turn on an computer, maybe play minecraft with big fps drops but what would happen when I would try to play for eg. New codYork warzone.