Daegus

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
Well, I build a new computer for college but don't have my video card yet. Running Abit IC7-G with 3.2 intel.

Now, if I were to take my Hercules Prophet 3D Pro out of my computer now and hooked it into my new computer for time being (class starts in a few days want my computer going with everything on it since I might not have vcard in time) to load my drivers and OS for all the other parts, could I have easy time switching video card drivers and programs and will my MB/CPU support that card(Hercules one)? Later I'm switching to a Radeon 9800 Pro 256.

"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life."
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Daegus on 08/17/03 04:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Guttenaffe

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
It'll run just fine if noting wrong with the video card and your mobo will support the power requirement of the card. (IE it's not a 3.3V AGP card and the Mobo only allows 1.5V cards, I can't tell from what u said there are so many different 3D Profits around)

The drivers won’t be that big of an issue, if they are a problem just reformat then reinstall everything with the new card in place.

Daegus

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
It's a 3D Prophet II GTS Pro 64.

"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life."

Daegus

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
Can't find if its 3.3v or 1.5v. would have cause a problem with my mb?

Guttenaffe

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003
It's 1.5V I'm 99.9% sure of it, then it wont cause a problem just might be best to reformat when u get the ATI card after you've had the drivers for that nvidia installed. Been alot of problems with crossing the drivers.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Someone needs to add the issue of "crossing" platforms for drivers when swithcing from Ati to Nvidia or vice versa, I personally had no experince with swtiching brands yet, but I will be very soon, so I would like to find out this procedure As soon as I can.

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!