Compatibility (Pentium D 945)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exactlywhoiam

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I have an HP a1750y computer that currently has a Pentium 3.0GHz processor (don't have the exact specs on hand right now) and the motherboard is the following: ASUS: P5LP-LE, HP: Leonite-GL8E

I'd like to upgrade to an Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz Dual-Core processor (http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2286742&body=MAIN) but just wanted to check and make sure it's compatible. (I think it is, but want to be extra sure.) Hopefully someone can help me!

Also, do I need to buy a heatsink/fan? If so, any recs? Thanks!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
best thing to due with an hp is too pull out the mobo and find the nearest mobo thats like - usually asus

while you may loose a few custom cables you gain access to open bios and overclocking

i would do the mobo, cpu and cpu cooler

the answer is too look for systems that use that cpu and mobo compo - or you can check by chipset, find the chipset on your mobo then see if supports that cpu

for asus p5lp go to asus site and look and check the asus forums

Mondoman

Splendid
ex - according to an HP web page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00910244&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3369459&lang=en), your current CPU is almost certainly a Pentium D 925, which is already a dual-core CPU running at 3GHz. If that's correct, then you will *not* see a visible performance improvement from switching to a Pentium D 945.

Better to save your money for a new system.

exactlywhoiam

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Wow, at the risk of sounding completely stupid, I never realized that my CPU could already be dual-core. When I bought the computer, there was no mention of it being dual-core, so I just figured it was single-core and, while I was kind of bummed about not getting dual-core, I was maxed out on my computer budget at the time.

Mondoman, I saw that on the HP site as well, and just thought for some reason they didn't have my (presumably) single-core CPU listed among the choices anymore. But I looked at my exact specs and what I have is the "Intel(R) Pentium(R) D 925 (3.0GHz, 4MB,800MHz FSB)", and as you pointed out the D 925 is already a dual-core CPU...I just didn't know it!

So, I'm a little bewildered at how I could have a dual-core and not even realize it, but I appreciate the help so I didn't waste my money on such a negligible upgrade!

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Your chipset should be able to take an E4500, that will blow your Pentium D out of the water and run a lot cooler, If your looking to overclock or upgrade the best thing to do is to get a new case and mobo because Branded PC's can be a pig to upgrade.

warm regards

Mondoman

Splendid
IMHO the e4500 will NOT blow his Pentium D 925 out of the water; it only runs at 2.2GHz and he won't be able to OC it. The Pentium D has twice the cache size of the e4500, so I'd expect at most a 1/3 performance improvement with the e4500. That's not much for $125.

Christopherr

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah pentium d925 is 9+2+5=16 but a reduced pwoer of 16 because 'D" stands for decrease so it;s 10~ maybe.
E4500 is 4+5+0+0 = good overclok "E" stands for gaming! Good, go for it!!

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Mondoman, Check the benchmarks in Sandra, Performance test 6.1 etc and you will see what im talking about, The pentium D is an old inefficient design which cannot compete with any C2D, even the E2160.
Ive had a D915 2.8 and D945 3.4 and both were overclocked to 3.8Ghz and 4.0Ghz which despite have more Ghz their netburst architecture meant that my stock E4500 destroyed them in all benchmarks, It doesnt matter that the D's have more Ghz, the C2D chips produce more cycles per clock while running cooler and more efficient.

cheers

Mondoman

Splendid
Synthetic benchmarks are unrealistic -- you need to use real programs to get a feel for real-world performance changes. My rule of thumb is that a Pentium D is roughly equivalent to a Core2Duo running at half the clock speed, making the OP's CPU roughly equivalent to a 1.5GHz Core2Duo. After knocking back the e4xxx a few hundred MHz for the 1/2 size cache, I came up with a rough estimate of the e4500 being about 35% faster, which shouldn't be very noticeable.

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Forget the E6*** series of C2D's, The best value for money chip is the E7200, its the most overclockable one out there at the moment.

I use photoshop/Tempgnc etc in everyday stuff i do and the performance difference is very noticable, These apps are used in benchmarking and the real world performance difference is vast, particularly in gaming where i found my D915 and D945 were bottlenecking my card and when overclocked were being out performed by an Athlon 3800 DC.

A 6850 will make a big difference, but depends how much you can get one for.

cheers

Mondoman

Splendid
Since the OP's computer only supports an 800MHz FSB, he won't be able to use any e6xxx, e7xxx, or e8xxx CPUs. Unfortunately, to see a noticeable improvement over what he's got now, he needs a new MB & CPU combination (and most likely a new PS & new OS as well).
You can get a very nice GA-EP35-DS3x MB for $125-150, an e2180 fairly easily overclockable to 3GHz for about $70. The e7200 that mog mentions is a good OC value at about $130, but you may need to buy new RAM for that (say, $80 for 2x2GB DDR2-800). Anyway, if you go the new-build route, feel free to ask for suggestions.

Mogwilson

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Mondoman is spot on, Any propriety PC is not worth upgrading and for the money you spend on upgrades on it could be spent on some new kit, I built my spare rig out of the guts i had from my Dell e520, I picked up an asus P5B for £40,Coolermaster elite 330 for £30 and an e4500 for £50(might need a psu) and for £120 i got a rig that when overclocked would run the latest apps and games easly. The real performance gains come from overclocking, Turning a bottom end CPU into monster for little or no money makes me a happy boy.

Tnias

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I am quite interested in your posts I have 2 HP Media Center PCm7350n computers each with a 2.8 GHz CPU. We just upgraded our Adobe CS2 software to the new CS4 Master Suite, which caused a graphics card upgrade. I already had an nVidia GeForce GTX 260, but haven't installed it because it needs an upgraded power supply of at least 525 Watts and of course, the GPU will run better with a faster CPU. Thus, I am looking at upgrading the CPU as well.

Of course I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. And, though I agree with your comments regarding changing out the mobo so my curiosity is focusing in on which way to go. I read the overclocking article on the D850 chip at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-41-ghz-cores,1253-3.html . But beyond that, I have no idea where the best bang for the buck will be. For me a stable system is more important that blazing speed. Thus, the HP's worked fine for what we originally got them for; it is just that now our software is forcing these upgrades in speed and power due to the necessities of the graphics work and video production we do.

The D850 chip sounds incredible! and the power supply we already have to get will handle overclocking that chip. It even sounds like that chip will work in the existing mobo if we get some other software to change the clock speed from inside windows instead of from the BIOS. HP BIOS does not allow adjusting the clock speed in the BIOS but the BIOS can also be changed.

Anyway, even if we opt for changing out the mobo for another case compatible Asus mobo, we still have to answer the question of which board and chip combination will give us the most stable service for the least cost and that sounds like the same question exactlywhoiam is trying to resolve.

Any ideas that might help us plan the most appropriate upgrade and the least cost?

bek_x001

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hello , i have brand HP system with 945 mobo with intel inside pentium D 3.4 Gh processor , 2 Gb DDR 2 Ram , 365 W PSU and Nvidia GeForce 9500 video card 512 Mb so i want to change my video card to better one bcoz it causing sometimes problems when im playing latest games . The problem is i really dont know which card to get
i apreciate any help any suggestion .

Status
Not open for further replies.