Compatible two different memory brands -- yes or no

Mono23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I want to upgrade my memory. But I am here in a third world country and limited on availability of all memory brands and types.

I have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3
2 time 1 GB RAM DDR-2: GEIL PC-8500 5-5-5-15 : GX22GB8500PDC

I can buy here:

2 time 1 GB RAM DDR-2: Kingston Hyper-X PC-8500 5-5-5-15: KHX8500D2K2/2G

Is it possible to combine those or will I encounter problems?

A general rule of thumb is that mixing is not the way to go. If it isn't economically practical for you to pick up two of the Kingston kits, then go ahead and buy one. Nobody can gurantee you that it will work with the Geil sticks, though. On the positive side, the two kits appear to have the same specs. The only missing factor here is voltage.

If I had to mix my RAM, then this is certainly the route I would go. Meaning matching them as close as possible.

Mono23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks... you are right: the voltage is missing. And this is different. 2,3 for the Geil and 2,1 for the Kingston at 1066 Mhz. I will follow your advise and buy one. Try it and later buy another one because it is not working?

Too bad that they are 20% mark ups compared to US or Europe on those pieces.

Anyone interested in buying GEIL RAM :)

Mono23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks alot... I bought it and it did not work. The SPD is programmed to 800 Mhz - and not to 1066 as offered by the retailer. So I had to work around in the Bios anyway. (according to the instructions of Kingston)

I increased the Voltage to 2,2 and set latency manually. The result was an instable system.

Even with CPU-Z it did not show the latencys I set. But with Bios I am not an expert and I will never be.

I think maybe I will follow your advice and buy an 4 GB : 2x 2GB Kit (not Kingston- because I am very upset about how you can sell a memory with 1066 and 800 are programed) and try to sell the Ram I have to not loose as much money.

Mono23

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the comment ... but this is exactly what I wrote.

It is programmed at 800 Mhz and I altered the settings to be run at 1066.

I am upset that they sell it as 1066.

Its like selling a car for max speed 200 kph and telling afterwards... oh no you have to change the motor software- didn´t you know that?!

Not everyone is a Computerexpert that can set the Bios manually.

NO. Don't mix, get a second set of GX22GB8500PDC. There's more to it besides Speed, CAS timings - the Voltages have to be the EXACT same and Type {some IC's don't play well together with the IMC, chips per side, etc}.

I looked-up both yes the Voltages overlap, but I KNOW the IC's are indeed different. If I run across an EOL Brand X then I either look for another Brand X <or> toss out the OLD and get (2) NEW at the first sign of trouble on a 'home PC' -- I NEVER mix period on a production {work} PC. The error rate is too high.

G

Two brands with same speeds and voltage? YES they will run but you have to adjust the cas latency in the bios - One pair of say - corsair ddr 3 may be designed to run ay say 1300 but are overclocked to 1600 mhz -you can normally tell because the overclocked ones have coolers attached - the other may be a pair of say - kingston - you have to adjust the cas latency in the bios to make them run at the same CAS - OTHERWISE you will get the warning beeps from the board - Short answer therefore is - run the 4 sticks but adjust the cas latency in the bios - you wont notice any speed lag - you are just lining them up to read at the same point in the memory matrix...... YOU CAN MIX - ITS RUBBISH TO SAY YOU CANT!