Question Competition for Threadripper on horizon?

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I could buy a Threadripper system now and wait 4 months for delivery or I could maybe wait a bit and see if something better comes out not a whole lot later. Does anyone know what Intel might have on the horizon to compete with Threadripper and what the expected wait might be for actually having it in my hands? Any opinions on whether or not to pull trigger on a 64 core Threadripper would be appreciated.

What sort of workload are you looking at?
There is always going to be something better on the horizon.
Someone looking at something like a threadripper build, which is usually used for intense processing/production, has no business waiting around for next gen hardware.

Reactions: Ralston18

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
It’s for scientific computing where I use every possible core at 100% for simulations that take hours and require at least 256GB ram. Well, if Intel had something coming in 6 months that will beat threadripper I won’t receive until at least 4 months from now, it seems worth some consideration, for,example. Maybe it doesn’t matter but I’m also less than entirely wild about buying hundreds of GB of DDR4 when DDR5 is out and has ECC built in, and also CPU won’t be upgradable since last iteration of old platform.

I could buy a Threadripper system now and wait 4 months for delivery or I could maybe wait a bit and see if something better comes out not a whole lot later. Does anyone know what Intel might have on the horizon to compete with Threadripper and what the expected wait might be for actually having it in my hands? Any opinions on whether or not to pull trigger on a 64 core Threadripper would be appreciated.
Sapphire Rapids/Meteor Lake keeps getting delayed...now sometime early 2023. That's supposedly the architecture that will bring Intel back into the game for HEDT. Reading a few articles about it I don't really get a sense there's any confidence they'll hit those dates either.

Until then it's Threadripper all the way. By then you can bet AMD will have their next generation HEDT arch on the ramps. There's no reason to rush with Intel in a catch-up position in HEDT and a lot of data center right now.

IMO, if running a business, practice or studio that relies heavily on computing performance to hit deadlines you can't afford to wait for new, and unproven, tech to hit the market. You and your business become increasingly irrelevant the longer you wait.

Reactions: 2ms

kanewolf

Titan
It’s for scientific computing where I use every possible core at 100% for simulations that take hours and require at least 256GB ram. Well, if Intel had something coming in 6 months that will beat threadripper I won’t receive until at least 4 months from now, it seems worth some consideration, for,example. Maybe it doesn’t matter but I’m also less than entirely wild about buying hundreds of GB of DDR4 when DDR5 is out and has ECC built in, and also CPU won’t be upgradable since last iteration of old platform.
Have you tested on a high thread host on AWS to verify that your software will scale? Before dropping $$$$ I would test on a host with more hardware horsepower than you are considering buying. Just my 2 cents (with 20 years of HPC experience).

Reactions: 2ms