Complete Nvidia Kepler GPU Lineup Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Considering GCN and Kepler are being fabed on the same 28nm tech, I highly doubt Nvidia could make a card with the same number of transistors that outperforms the 7970 by 50%. If that were the case, AMD needs to fire their entire design team because apparently that means they can not even come close to the per transistor performance they could have had.

It is bogus data, 512 bit bus on GDDR5, and a 1k dual gpu are insane. I expect Kepler to have the 680 only be 5 - 15% faster than 7970 but be priced much more reasonably against it to drive sales (something like $500).

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]I just want them to start getting the power consumption lower. At the rate we're going, we'll be required to have power supplies running at 1.21 gigawatts in the near future...[/citation]

What the hell is a gigawatt?!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Anomyous[/nom]Anyone notice the clock speed for the core? 3/4 to 9 tenths of a tetrahertz? Dudes proof read your charts.[/citation]
Yeah, this chart looks weird. From what I can tell, Nvidia for the last few years has been trailing. Look at their 400 series. It took them a half a year (at least, can't remember exactly how long it was) for them to come out with the 400 series and they ended up being hot and on par with ATI/AMD. I don't believe that it is possible for Nvidia to make this collasal leap in performance, and if they did I would hate to be the one supplying ~400W for a single GPU graphics card when the competition is running at 250W with all the performance any sane person would want anyway. And isn't Nvidia the company that made all that hype about how quiet the GTX590 was compared to the 6990? I doubt they're going to release a bunch of 80-90 degree volcanoes with fans that rival wind tunnels.

My 7970 is overkill for everything, why would Nvidia release cards this expensive when there is no need of them and no one will buy them because they are so expensive.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
As with all leaked information, all unofficial sources should be taken with a grain of salt.

Exactly. Wait till we have official numbers before jumping through your backsides about these rumored specs and prices. Lensfire was way off on their southern islands "leaked specs" so dont take these numbers as gospel either.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Smells like BS. Although I wish it was true. However, just look at the bus width. Every card has its own ...never seen this before. Anyway this is way too much power which is almost unreal. Basically double 580 specs and you got 680.
Anyway 670 looks like sweet spot.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
First thing i though when I saw this was, "no way" 45% performance increase plus the insane memory clocks and the numbers seem so random 5.8GHz 5.0 and 5.5GHz huh? I can almost guarantee their memory clocks aren't going to be THAT much higher than the 500 series cards. This amount of gain from one gen to the next is almost un heard of.

how is the 670 20% faster than the 7970 while the 660 ti is only 10% faster than the 7950?

that means then 670 is 40% faster than the 660ti with a 13% increase in cores and no increase in memory bandwidth.

redeemer

Distinguished
This is an obvious fake, 45-50% faster than the 7970?? Same fab 28nm process, its very unlikely, furthermore a 512 bit memory bus will increase production cost significantly. If this was true Kepler would be one massive power hungry chip

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
This is just a marketing trick so people stop buying AMD cards ....
Ohh here are the specs for the next generation AMD cards:
http://wccftech.com/amds-generation-28nm-hd7000-series-southern-islands-graphic-cards-specs-leaked/
oh wait this is nothing like what it is today, is it :D

xxehanort

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
@redeemer Or, AMD's engineers did just THAT bad of a job. Either way, like others have said here already, it's impossible to know the truth of this until the release of Kepler once and for all. Then the fanbois can have their time with their side on top.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
the 6xx generation is based off of the same architecture (Fermi) as the 5xx and 4xx gen. I simply cannot believe that they mananged to improve their flagship single GPU to like 100% faster (7970 is 30% faster then the 580, they're saying they're 45% faster then that, so that's around a 100% faster in total???) then the previous 580, off of the same architecture. Logically speaking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

That's like nVidia with they're g92 architecture suddenly improving in by 100% after having it out for 2 generations. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The 7xxx series from AMD however, is a completely new Architecture, and as such, we are only beginning to see it's potential

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Fuyukazehime[/nom]According to the information provided, we can expect higher power consumption and, of course, it will probably run hot. I'd imagine much more cooling required for these cards, perhaps noisy fans even... one of the recent trademarks of Nvidia sadly =/[/citation]

Indeed. You throw in a bigger die, unless if you have a lot better efficiency, expect a spike in power consumption and heat output.

Also, lol at the $1000 price tag of the 690.

G

i had a Geforce 8800GT... it sounds like my vacuum cleaner, and overheated when i play simcity 4.
if nVidia don't put more emphasis on efficiency instead of just building bigger and bigger chips, i'm never going back to nVidia.

g-unit1111

Titan
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Indeed. You throw in a bigger die, unless if you have a lot better efficiency, expect a spike in power consumption and heat output.Also, lol at the $1000 price tag of the 690.[/citation]

Yeah... $1K for a video card? No thanks, I'll pass.

And do they all need PCI-E 3.0 x 16 to function properly or will they adjust according to the slot bandwidth on the motherboard (like PCI-E x 2.1 x 16 for instance)?

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Also, lol at the $1000 price tag of the 690.[/citation]

Goes nicely with $1050 i7-3960X.

For billionaires among us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.