Complete Nvidia Kepler GPU Lineup Leaked

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTX 640 has too much memory. GTX 640 and 650 are overpriced even compared to current cards in that price range. GTX 660 TI, 670, 680, and 690 all don't have enough memory. I can't imagine the 680 being used outside of huge 3D Eyefinity resolutions even in Metro 2033 and BF3, so it's memory capacity is obviously not enough. It should be 4GB by default. The 670 should be 3.5GB, the 660 TI should be 3GB. The 640 should be 1GB.

All the GPU horsepower in the world isn't going to help you if you don't have the memory capacity to play at the resolutions with the quality settings set high enough to make a difference. I'd prefer 4K @ 60FPS over 1080p @ 300FPS, all with quality settings and AA maxed out. The 7970 can be overclocked something like 45%, so that 680 has better be able to be similarly overclocked or it doesn't have enough value even if it had 4GB of memory capacity.

Also, what happened to Nvidia abandoning hot-clocking and gonig for a many core approach like AMD has? Didn't Nvidia come out and tell us that GK104 has 1536 cores?

[citation][nom]letsdothis[/nom]I don't know about you all but I think NVidia's lost the crown and isn't really doing a lot to get it back. The only comparisons aren't much better than before. What nano-scale are they building at? And AMD is going to have a 3/4 year head-start before these new cards come out? At again not much savings to the consumer? They have to get with the program on 28 nanometers, price, bang for the buck, power consumption, noise. These new cards in my opinion are just trying to catch up not go beyond what AMD has already. Absolutely not sold on NVidia for about a year now. I compared the actual thruput to AMD and for the money there was no contest. I ended up with a AMD HD 6870 this time around for less than $180 and got a 2Tbit output that would have costed close to $500 to a comparable output with NVidia.[/citation]

If the 680 is really 45% faster than the 7970, then Nvidia obviously isn't just playing catch up, they want to win. These cards have better price/performance than current video cards so it's not at an added price to the consumer. These are all 28nm cards so that's a pointless demand. Please tell me how 45% faster than AMD's flag-ship and offering much lower MSRPs for comparable performing Kepler cards than anything on AMD's lineup is not going beyond where AMD is right now. The only problem that we know of is the delay.

Nvidia has been pretty much beaten on all important matters for a while, but they were not playing catch-up, Nvidia still had the fastest card at any given time, the problems were other things like cost, memory capacity, power usage, etc, performance itself was not a limiting factor over the last few years. For example, GTX 285 versus Radeon 4890, GTX 480 versus Radeon 5870, GTX 580 versus Radeon 6970,and if this is to be believed, GTX 680 versus Radeon 7970. The Nvidia card wins in absolute performance in most games in all examples. So no, Nvidia probably won't be losing the performance crown any time son unless AMD makes a video card with a GPU die as large as the GF/GK 100/110 dies. Overall, AMD and Nvidia seem to have somewhat similar performance per square mm of die area, with AMD leading on Nvidia a little if the GTX 680 really performas 45% better than the 7970 and has a 550mm2 die, so all it should take AMD to compare or beat Nvidia in the one performance place where they lost (flagship single die performance) is for AMD to use larger dies. However, that would defeat the purpose of the smaller die, cheaper GPUs.

Another problem I see here is the relative performance of the dual GPU flagships. The GTX 580 performs more like a dual GTX 570 than a dual GTX 580 because of it's lower clock frequencies. This is why AMD's 6990 can keep up with the GTX 590, AMD's card doesn't need to lower it's frequencies. However, looking at this, Nvidia seems to be tow tiers ahead of AMD instead of the usual one tier ahead. AMD's 7970 wouldn't be too far ahead of the GTX 660 TI. If the GTX 690 performs like dual 670s, well then a dual 7970 (7990) won't compare to it as AMD has done in the past unless the 7990 has upgraded Tahitis or higher clock frequencies than the 7970 has at stock. Considering the overclocking headroom of Tahiti, AMD could do it, but whether or not AMD can tolerate being second best in both single and dual GPU cards remains to be seen.

Prices may also be higher because the value of the dollar is dropping due to the parasites' money-printing. Get used to it.
What I don't see here is power consumption. If the GTX640 doesn't need a PCIE power connector, that would be great, BUT, it would be competing against the $30 cheaper HD7750.
The 660 and 650Ti might be the ones to watch.

[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Prices may also be higher because the value of the dollar is dropping due to the parasites' money-printing. Get used to it.What I don't see here is power consumption. If the GTX640 doesn't need a PCIE power connector, that would be great, BUT, it would be competing against the $30 cheaper HD7750.The 660 and 650Ti might be the ones to watch.[/citation]

That wouldn't explain why the older cards are still cheaper.

[citation][nom]Deemo13[/nom]These things are going to be so much more expensive than the Radeons it is going to be insane.[/citation]

The prices here are far cheaper than comparably performing Radeons. Also, the current cards from Nvidia aren't THAT overpriced at all. They tend to have other problems (except for the GTX 560 TI), but pricing isn't overly bad compared to the similarly performing Radeon cards except for the 580 and that's only because it had no similarly performing Radeon to compete with.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
damn the 680 that i'm looking forward too have some similarities in price with the gtx580 3gb msi lxe (well to where i came from) if we base it on this, hopefully they would sell them cheaper

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yes,firstly I can say that if they can remove the problem of over-heating and over-pricing from their cards just like 480,590 gpu's,etc for their 600 series.They will really going to hit the market and Nvidia will get a more market coverage then AMD.

Secondly,I am supporting Nvidia for Kepler gpu is that these cards will provide a much more 3D vision support to the new era of 3D gaming,movies etc. which will be very soon going to be available at a very affordable cost within a year or so_Only till now,this 3D vision technology is supported by Nvidia not by AMD inspite of efforts of AMD they were not able to launch any 3D solution like Nvidia which already makes this company different from AMD.

In short,Nvidia should concentrate on pricing and over heating issues rest will be done by the buyers for increasing its share at pretty fast rate.

[citation][nom]aviral[/nom]Yes,firstly I can say that if they can remove the problem of over-heating and over-pricing from their cards just like 480,590 gpu's,etc for their 600 series.They will really going to hit the market and Nvidia will get a more market coverage then AMD.Secondly,I am supporting Nvidia for Kepler gpu is that these cards will provide a much more 3D vision support to the new era of 3D gaming,movies etc. which will be very soon going to be available at a very affordable cost within a year or so_Only till now,this 3D vision technology is supported by Nvidia not by AMD inspite of efforts of AMD they were not able to launch any 3D solution like Nvidia which already makes this company different from AMD.In short,Nvidia should concentrate on pricing and over heating issues rest will be done by the buyers for increasing its share at pretty fast rate.[/citation]

Asking Nvidia to solve an overheating problem will probably result in a roundabout conclusion such as better cooling instead of attacking the problem at its source and that would be reducing power usage.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yes,you got my point very correctly.

I mainly intend to target at

1)Cooling which is not at all very efficient at stock level &
2)Power usage consumption which are really high for Nvidia cards when compared to AMD's card

These are the major problems why people prefer AMD cards over Nvidia.

[citation][nom]aviral[/nom]Yes,you got my point very correctly.I mainly intend to target at 1)Cooling which is not at all very efficient at stock level & 2)Power usage consumption which are really high for Nvidia cards when compared to AMD's cardThese are the major problems why people prefer AMD cards over Nvidia.[/citation]

They are factors, but they aren't the main reasons why I don't buy Nvidia. Nvidia cards also tend to cost a little more than similarly performing cards and often don't have enough VRAM on the high end models. I mean seriously, the GTX 570has 1280MB of RAM and that's only enough for up to 1080p or similar resolutions in Metro 2033 and BF3. Then there's the fact that CF scales better. Two 6950 2GBs can beat a dual GTX 570 SLI setup, so if I buy a 2GB 6950 instead of a GTX 570, I can get another one later on and it's simply better. Of course, then I can bring up the power usage because the dual 6950s will use so much less that it actually makes a difference in my electric bill.

The GTX 580 has the same problem. The GTX 560 TI is okay, but pretty much all other cards from this generation have problems that I can't ignore. Kepler might be able to shake things up a bit, but Nvidia is being very quiet. According to the latest rumor, it will bring a 200% performance boost instead of AMD's near 100% boost. If that is true, then maybe they fixed the power usage.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
ok,I got your point.
Do you have any idea when these 600series will be available in India (just approximate estimation if possible because I would like to upgrade my system with this series)?

Thanks a lot for replying to my earlier posts.

[citation][nom]aviral[/nom]ok,I got your point.Do you have any idea when these 600series will be available in India (just approximate estimation if possible because I would like to upgrade my system with this series)?Thanks a lot for replying to my earlier posts.[/citation]

Sorry, but I'm not even sure of when they arrive in my country (USA). I've heard that there might be some Kepler cards released by the end of this month or April.

kuro16

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Given that the actual price for the 680 is $500, I am thinking that the a lot of these numbers may be off, especially the $999 for a 690... at that price you would be crazy not to just run 2 680's in SLI, based on the scaling of the 500-fermi gen of cards. Also Boo on the Ti's not coming out sooner, I was hoping that they would be out sometime this summer.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Fuyukazehime[/nom]According to the information provided, we can expect higher power consumption and, of course, it will probably run hot. I'd imagine much more cooling required for these cards, perhaps noisy fans even... one of the recent trademarks of Nvidia sadly =/[/citation]

You are WRONG on all counts. Nvidia cards are faster and more efficient than AMD's. GTX 680>HD7970

hannibal

Distinguished

Hard to judge. 7970 is number crusher and 680 is a gaming card. It is like comparing motorbike and bulldoser, guite different beasts, even both can be used to go from place A to place B.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Over 90% of us buy graphics cards for Gaming. We use PC's at home for fun, not for work.

actionjksn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]very nice. lulz at console players.[/citation]

WOW great prediction You must have amazing psychic ability's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS