Completely silent laptop - no fan when no needed

Oct 29, 2020
I have got now 5 new laptops at home to test. For work I highly prefer not to hear any noise when it is not needed. Only dell xps 15 (9570) is really silent without any fan, and when using AC adapter, for normal remote work via VMware client. Also my wife's cheap lenovo is 95% making no noise whatsoever.
Because of a better display and some other feature I would love to keep HP ENVY 17-cg0007nc or convertible HP ENVY x360 15-ed0003nc i7 but it seems that HP policy is to make after a while always some noise by running fan without a reason (not hot, not high CPU). I tried all set up and updates but nothing works. Only when laptop is on battery (not plugged), it can be without fan for longer time, it means that it is just HP choice how to do the things.
Could you suggest any newer notebook with good 15,6" display similar to the described above regarding the performance, which works without any noise? Not an Apple one though. Thank you in advance.

Are there any cooling/fan settings available in the BIOS?

Have you tweaked around in the Windows Power Settings options? I"m guessing that while plugged in, the CPU is allowed to turbo higher/longer than on battery.

You COULD try re-applying a better thermal paste between the CPU and cooler.

Aside from that, the thinner a laptop is, the less room there is for heatsinks. Notebookcheck.net is a great resource for laptop teardowns.

Oct 29, 2020
I have tried all options.. including bios, windows updates etc. Also HP tech support confirmed that I had tried all options available. They just do not allow to tweek it and I do not uderstand the reason.
My question to this thread is more practical - just if you know from your experience which laptops of similar specs as those above can run completely silently.