[SOLVED] Component failure- mobo or chassis?

Apr 11, 2021
Hey all-

I've had this build for a while now.

In the past 3 months, I had some issues with USB ports disconnecting (mobo).

One morning, I went to boot up my PC, and the machine itself would spin up, but there was no display output the monitor could show.

I did this maybe a total of 2 or 3 times, while trying to test the monitor. The third or fourth time I tried to boot up to troubleshoot, the machine just would not turn on at all.

No caselights, no fans.

I took the power supply out, and used it to power a system fan.

I took the graphics card out, and swapped it into another machine. It works and is detected/displays.

I am pretty sure the issue is with the mobo or the case, but I don't know if there is a way to check either of these to be certain.

I don't think it's the case, I think it's probably the mobo. If I have to replace that, what should I replace it with?

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA 970A-D3P v2
CPU: AMD FX 8370 Black
Graphics: ZOTAC GTX 460 2GB

edit: replaced words: 'PSU' with 'CPU' (don't know how I did that, sorry, my PSU is 1000W)- and 'case' with 'chassis'.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU: AMD FX 8370 Black
That's the cpu.
Psu is power supply. The problem with partial loads is they are just that. Partial. As a psu gets older, it's output degrades and post process is around a 50% psu load. So it's entirely possible the psu has enough HP to power the fan, but not enough left to initiate post. Since that can happen on any rail, not just the 12v+ rail, and AM3+ did use more 3.3v and 5v+ rails than more modern equipment, having one of those rails fail wouldn't affect the 12v fan much if any.

3.3v rail runs the motherboard logic circuitry, ram, gpu (sometimes) and the 5v rail runs the usb buss, storage etc.

What's bad is this is the absolute worst time in pc history to rebuild. Prices are crazy, tech just isn't...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PSU: AMD FX 8370 Black
That's the cpu.
Psu is power supply. The problem with partial loads is they are just that. Partial. As a psu gets older, it's output degrades and post process is around a 50% psu load. So it's entirely possible the psu has enough HP to power the fan, but not enough left to initiate post. Since that can happen on any rail, not just the 12v+ rail, and AM3+ did use more 3.3v and 5v+ rails than more modern equipment, having one of those rails fail wouldn't affect the 12v fan much if any.

3.3v rail runs the motherboard logic circuitry, ram, gpu (sometimes) and the 5v rail runs the usb buss, storage etc.

What's bad is this is the absolute worst time in pc history to rebuild. Prices are crazy, tech just isn't what it's worth, and finding a good budget deal is next to impossible.

Your best 2 choices for a reasonably priced pc are with a pre-built from Dell or HP etc or a boutique build from Origin, CRX, CyberPowerPC etc. It's the only way you'll get a gpu that's better than what you have now and not have to sacrifice an arm and a leg from several family members.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS