wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Well that depends on the type of user you are. Enterprise level can reaches into the thousands easily. The most expensive processor I can think of is Intel Core i7-990x for around $1200 but most likely selling for $1000 these days. Enterprise level SSD will probably cost you $5000 for the most expensive one. Professional level graphic card can go up for $3000. You get my idea? If you're referring to the average system builder. The most expensive one is probably the graphic card since some of us can afford the 580 for around $450 I believe? We don't normally go over i7-2600k which is around $300.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I'll add SSD to that list aswell, somewhere between Motherboard and PSU probably.

Although obviously depends on storage size, speed, ect ect.

The 4 main components NOT to cheap out on are really:
CPU
GPU
MotherBoard
PSU

^ These are where most of your raw performance will come from.

+1, They are also where most of your reliability comes from. Going with cheap components leads to more down time and lower system performance.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

I wish it went that way for me :(

I started with a nice low budget and people on Toms kept recommending me shiny-er parts :D I couldn't resist haha!

I do love my build though so im glad I spent the extra.

ItsFixed

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hey I was just curious on what people spend the most money. Personally for me it's Screens, with two Acer 22" at a total of $650, but after I get my 8800GTX it will be that. But this is when I purchased my computer.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Graphics card for me: £190

I already had my monitors, but if not then it would be those. Obviously you can buy much cheaper monitors though, a FULL HD 22" LG in the UK can be bought for only about £100. Price obviously shoots up if you want multiple monitors or 3D